Butch Vig Drums: how to play Patterns

McClaneonfire
McClaneonfire Member Posts: 148 Member

Hello to the new community,

I'm a Newbee still and wonder how the following can be done the best way:

the Butch Vig Plugin has 16 Patterns from Intros to Chorus. I managed to put all 16 Patterns to be triggered on the Maschine Mikro MK3 Pads. Now for that I put the Butch Vig Plugin on every of the 16 Sound-Slots. Now the question:

Is it possible to have only 1 instance of Butch Vig Drums for the whole Group?

Because now, when pressing a Pad, everytime a different Butch Vig-Plugin pops up on a different location. And when I close (or hide) 15 instances and leave 1 open for example, I can't see the corresponding Butch Vig Patterns progress - only the one I left open to be seen.

I hope the screenshot helps 😬

Every idea is welcome, maybe even a way I haven't thought of yet.

Thank you!!

Best Answer

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

Yup, a bit of overkill with 16 instances... let's see if I can break down the steps. This method will trigger the patterns within BVD and does not require that you Drag and Drop the Patterns to a pad.

1. Load BVD in slot 1 of the Group. The first pad should trigger the first pattern and rest of the pads are dark...
    2. Select sound slot 2, click the control Icon above the Plugin Icon in the Controller area. Select "Output --> Midi". In "Dest." select "S1 - Holy House", set "Channel" to 1 and set transpose to 1 (which triggers the second pattern), Note that the patterns in BVD are triggered by C3 to D#4, so make sure the base Key for all pads is set to C3 or you can assign C#3 as the base note for the pad and skip the Transpose step.
    3. Continue the above process for all pads, but remember to increase "Transpose" by 1 for each sound slot (slot three would be Transpose 2, slot 4 would be transpose 3 etc.) or if you change the pad "Base Key" leave transpose at "0"
    4. If you want, you can rename the Sound Slots to indicate which pattern is being triggered for clarity.

This process can also be used to trigger the individual drums, you just have to make sure the "Base Key" for all pads is set to C1. (Individual drums are triggered by C1 to D#2 (the notes that trigger either the patterns are indicated on the Kit and Pattern pages of BVD.

Hope that helps and if you have any questions...post here!!!

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Answer ✓

Yup, a bit of overkill with 16 instances... let's see if I can break down the steps. This method will trigger the patterns within BVD and does not require that you Drag and Drop the Patterns to a pad.

1. Load BVD in slot 1 of the Group. The first pad should trigger the first pattern and rest of the pads are dark...
    2. Select sound slot 2, click the control Icon above the Plugin Icon in the Controller area. Select "Output --> Midi". In "Dest." select "S1 - Holy House", set "Channel" to 1 and set transpose to 1 (which triggers the second pattern), Note that the patterns in BVD are triggered by C3 to D#4, so make sure the base Key for all pads is set to C3 or you can assign C#3 as the base note for the pad and skip the Transpose step.
    3. Continue the above process for all pads, but remember to increase "Transpose" by 1 for each sound slot (slot three would be Transpose 2, slot 4 would be transpose 3 etc.) or if you change the pad "Base Key" leave transpose at "0"
    4. If you want, you can rename the Sound Slots to indicate which pattern is being triggered for clarity.

This process can also be used to trigger the individual drums, you just have to make sure the "Base Key" for all pads is set to C1. (Individual drums are triggered by C1 to D#2 (the notes that trigger either the patterns are indicated on the Kit and Pattern pages of BVD.

Hope that helps and if you have any questions...post here!!!

• McClaneonfire

Wuhuuuuu, this is awesome! Thank you veeery much for this eficient and well explained answer🎯

• Blindeddie

Just realized I forgot to mention the most important step…Save the group…😜 or you will have to do the mapping all over again… (But you probably already did that 👍🏻)

• McClaneonfire

Yep saved the Group, thanx 😁

• tashley
    tashley Member Posts: 25 Member

I’m sure I’m guilty of a heinous newbie category error but ******? Where is the joined up thinking at NI? Here we have one of their much vaunted drum instruments that has no simple way of being played on their…errr… much vaunted drum pad.

I have spent hours fiddling with this. All I want is what the OP wanted, without having to spend ages working on MIDI assignments etc.

When you load the instrument, all the patterns should show up on the pads. Or at the very least the individual sounds should. Surely, for the love of all that’s good, this is obvious?

• Antman
    Antman Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

I'm another newbie with the exact same problem. How come Butch Vig drums and many other NI play series graphic interface look like they are designed to work primarily with Maschine drum pads but this seems anything but intuitive to setup? I'm probably missing something obvious but Maschine seems incredibly difficult to wade into without loads of tutorials. Everything is counterintuitive.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,254 Expert
    edited October 2023

Well…in facts…it’s enough to put Maschine in keyboard mode in order to play the patterns and the individual sounds (on different octaves)’