Filter midi input in the same instance of Kontakt?

Options
laserbeak
laserbeak Member Posts: 131 Member
edited December 2022 in Scripting Workshop

Hello,

I have 2 instruments in 1 instance of Kontakt. Can I set the MIDI input of each instrument in the instance to only accept a certain range of MIDI channels?

Why, you ask? I'm trying to setup Orb Composer with the given DAW template, but it's not working so well. When I open the template, it's just a DAW full of empty samplers named to match the instruments, MIDI ports and channels. I'm using FL Studio, so I have to convert all of the samplers to MIDI out plugins and set up the appropriate MIDI ports and channels.

I'm using the orchestral template and won't have enough ports to map them all.

Comments

• stephen24
    stephen24 Member Posts: 281 Pro
    Options

Unfamiliar with FL so can't pretend to fully understand your problem. But since nobody else has answered...

You can of course assign a particular (single) channel to an instrument in Kontakt.

If you want a range of channels, it might be simplest just to have multiple copies of the instrument in your rack, each with a different channel assigned. Would look bulky, but need negligible extra resources or loading time.

Or a simple multiscript would do it for you.

Doesn't FL have any channel filtering facilities? It would be a piece of cake in Bidule.

• laserbeak
    Options

FL has changed so much, i don't even recognize it anymore.

I want to avoid multiple instances devouring my RAM

• stephen24
    Options

Would look bulky, but need negligible extra resources or loading time.

(paragraph 3)

• laserbeak
    Options

what concerns me is that I've tried setting up an entire orchestra in Orb with kontakt and it cost me somewhere around 50GB

• stephen24
    Options

That's a big orchestra!

If you load 8 instances of each instrument instead of one, they will altogether take up 50.001 GB of RAM.

• laserbeak
    Options

I suppose I could route MIDI from one instance of Kontankt, running several instruments, possibly?