S88 Mk2 not playing sounds keyboard mode

DJ Go-iLL
DJ Go-iLL Member Posts: 19 Member

Hi I’m experiencing a problem with my S88 Mk2 midi controller. I have a 2020 MacBook Pro that has 4 thunderbolt ports as the hub of my production studio and use a Universal Audio Apollo Twin X Quad as the center of my production studio. Recently started to record so I installed Protools as my DAW. Now my S88 midi controller does not play in keyboard mode with my Maschine studio and I’m totally confused as to why. I am able to use it with FL Studio but when I want to use it now with my Maschine Studio I can’t use it in keyboard mode. I also have a A25 as well and that does not respond either but works when I use Protools or in FL Studio. Could there be some conflict with a setting in my I/O configuration or is it possibly a conflict with a avid plugin that disabled my settings? I’m am really frustrated at this point and need some assistance. Has anyone else encountered this issue before please let me know.

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

@Headybiz I've contacted you by email regarding this issue, my colleagues will need to have a deeper look.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI

Some AVID / FB360 have caused issues with the integration of our devices. You can try this:

Go to this location:

Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Avid > Audio > Plug-Ins

Move all these plug-ins to the unused Plug-ins (unused) folder

• FB360-Mix-Loudness-ambiX.aaxplugin
    • FB360-Control-ambiX.aaxplugin
    • FB360-Stereo-Loudness-ambiX.aaxplugin
    • FB360-Spatialiser-ambiX.aaxplugin
    • FB360-Converter-ambiX.aaxplugin

Restart your computer and open ProTools.

• DJ Go-iLL

Jeremy I found this information on other message threads and tried it already still is not working. The problem isn’t using it when I open Protools it’s when I try to use it with my Maschine Studio. It does not work in keyboard mode

• Jeremy_NI

Ok, so I didn't get it the first time. The problem only occurs within the Maschine plug-in, there is no MIDI communication from the keyboard to the Maschine plug-in. Try to open Maschine in standalone, is it the same? Can you browse and load instruments from the S88 when in the Maschine software ? Is the S88 selected as a MIDI input ?

Also make sure to give Full Disk Access to Komplete Kontrol, Maschine and your DAWs: How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS

Make sure to install the latest versions of Komplete Kontrol and Maschine (2.7.2 and 2.15.2)

You mention a 2020 Macbook, is it a M1 computer ? If it is and your DAW is supporting M1 processors natively, then you would need to run it in Rosetta mode: How to Open Your DAW Using Rosetta

• DJ Go-iLL

@Jeremy_NI no I have a 2020 MacBook Pro running on a 2 Ghz Quad Core Intel Core i5 processor. I have the latest versions of all my Native Instruments software installed and have enabled full access already. My OS is Big Sur 11.6.6. When I use my S88 in FL Studio or Protools it works as it should however when I try to use it with my Maschine Studio all of the functions of the S88 work but the keys do not respond when I load a 1-shot, instrument or kit. I tested it on an older MacBook Pro I have and it works perfectly as it should and the only thing I did recently was download protools to my laptop recently. I've already disabled the FB360 plugins and restarted and that does not resolve the issue.

• Jeremy_NI

@DJ Go-iLL Can you give this a try?

1. Open Finder and navigate to the folder:
    2. macOS 10.14 (or older): Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plug-Ins > HAL
    3. macOS 10.15: Macintosh HD > System > Library > Audio > Plug-ins > HAL
    4. Copy the "Avid CoreAudio.plugin" to another location, for example the Desktop.
    5. Delete the "Avid CoreAudio.plugin" from the HAL Plug-in folder.
    6. Type in the admin password when prompted.
    7. Restart your computer.

Any luck this time ?

• DJ Go-iLL

@Jeremy_NI I've done a fresh install of my Mac OS to remove all the programs including deleting Avid Protools and everything is working fine now. I'll now have to decide on the DAW I'll record with now and may have to invest in another computer strictly to dedicate to recording on for my studio so I don't end up in this situation again.

• Jeremy_NI

That's pretty extreme, Pro Tools should work with our devices, sometimes only these files in the HAL folder or the FB360 plug-ins can cause problems.

• Headybiz
    Headybiz Member Posts: 13 Member

Hi, I am having a similar problem but in Logic Pro X

My S88 keyboard will perform all host integration functions in Maschine 2 when loaded as a VST in Logic Pro perfectly, but it won't play/input notes/sounds from the keyboard, neither in keyboard mode (one Maschine sound pitched chromatically to entire keyboard) or in pad/drumkit mode (also the "key mode" button on the s88 keyboard; where each Maschine sound assigned to one key from C-1 to Eb 1).

Notes entered manually into Maschine software will light up the respective key guides on the keyboard, and also when a pattern is played back - further evidence that the Maschine 2 software is recognizing and being controlled by the s88. What's more, in standalone mode this issue does not occur: the keyboard plays and inputs midi notes and sounds in Maschine, in both modes. So something about logic is the issue, but I can't figure out what. The s88 and all ports are recognized and selected as a controller device in Maschine 2 software, both as VST and standalone.

I've tried deleting and rescanning/reloading the s88 from my controller setup list (I also pair this with a Maschine mikro MKIII which ceased to appear as an option in the device list after I deleted it in an attempt to reload/rescan!). I've tried unplugging it and plugging it back in!

Any ideas?

• Headybiz

here's a video to show what I mean in case my description wasn't clear enough

• Jeremy_NI

@Headybiz Thanks for the video, it makes it super clear.

Make sure to give full disk access to Logic, Maschine and Komplete Kontrol: How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS

Can you open a Komplete Kontrol track in Logic, load a preset, play the notes and control the parameters? If you open a Logic synth and play with the keyboard do you get sound?

• Headybiz

I already have full disk access enabled for all my DAW relevant software. S88 mkII works just fine as a midi controller for 3rd party and native synths in logic. The issue is only in playing and entering notes in Maschine from the keyboard, otherwise the integration with Maschine seems to be working perfectly too, for instance, the operation of the Maschine buttons left of the screen and the touch encoders and display all working for Maschine functions.

• Jeremy_NI

If you open Maschine in standalone and check the MIDI preferences, is the keyboard selected as a MIDI input?

• Headybiz

Yes

Since last posting the behavior of the s88 in Maschine integration mode has been very erratic. At one point I got it to work again by launching with only the s88 connected and not the mikro; then by resetting the s88 selection in the midi preferences it seemed to boot it up, and in continued working once I plugged the mikro back in. Until later I stepped away for a bit to eat, and when I returned the problem had resumed. That method of unplug, launch and reset did not work a second or third time.

And now, although previously the keyboard would play Maschine sounds in standalone mode, now the problem has spread to standalone mode as well! Yet all else appears operational settings-wise... Is there anything else I can try?

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

@Headybiz I've contacted you by email regarding this issue, my colleagues will need to have a deeper look.

• Headybiz

@Jeremy_NI hi thanks for the support ticket. They had me run a systems diagnostic test or whatever which I did and sent back. They suggested unchecking several options from the midi control surfaces page but I took too long to respond and they closed the ticket. However, unchecking the suggested options did not solve the issue so I’m still hoping for some more support with this, thanks