Why in 2022 does Maschine VSTi not pass transport commands from Komplete Kontrol to the DAW?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newcomer
edited May 2022 in Maschine
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 336 Guru

Maschine VSTi can send its own Host Transport Control,

Does it? I don't generally use maschine this way, but the only time I've tested it, I had to check the "host transport control" in the controller editor:

I don't think that's the VST sending anything to host. I still have to map those functions and pick the right ports in my DAW the same way I would if it were in midi mode. It seems more like most of the hardware is in controller mode except for the transport functions. Those are in midi mode. Just guessing though.

Even more weirdly, hitting record successfully arms Maschine VSTi, but play and stop do nothing.

If it works the way I think it does, record arming makes sense if you don't have that box checked. Play/Stop shouldn't work because those functions are linked to the host. Check the box and pressing record is sent to your DAW. The reason I don't use "host transport control" is because I want record to arm maschine; not my host.

I don't have one of their keyboards, but when I look in the controller editor; I don't see the host transport control function. Probably not many people would even notice. How many are using their keyboard to control maschine while it's hosted in a DAW?

I've always just assumed this was a VST thing and not something specific to maschine. I don't know of a VST that sends play/stop to the host. I don't think that's a thing. Maybe it's just a hold over from MIDI. Sync maschine+ (or any hardware) as a slave and play/stop no longer function, but record would "arm". Ableton Link behaves differently; but it's more for sync than control.

• [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,295 mod

Hey @HammyHavoc I'm not sure to understand the issue here. What DAW are we talking about ? Some DAWs like Ableton, Logic, Cubase, Nuendo, Pro Tools and Studio One have host integration with Komplete Kontrol, including transport functions of the DAW. It's not about the VST format but how the DAW and the hardware can communicate or not. If you are using a QAW that is not in the list, you should be able to use the MCU protocol, it is explained at the end of this article. there is a dedicated section for Integration with other DAWs using MCU Protocol. If I got it wrong and you are looking for something else, feel free to correct me.

There are also some remote scripts available for Maschine and Ableton or Bitwig.

• [Deleted User]
    edited June 2022
  • tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 290 Pro

Might it be an idea for NI to initiate some kind of dialogue with users on work method configurability because this is far from being the only area where some kind of optional behaviour would greatly enhance the user experience?

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod

Yeah, this is another one of those things that is just incomprehensible.

If it's possible to focus a KK Keyboard on Maschine-Plugin one would expect that the Transport data from the keyboard would be sent to Maschine-Plug which in turn would send it back to the DAW (assuming "Host Transport Control" is ON) and just work.

Either that or KK could have it's own "Host Transport Control" feature which would just bypass Maschine-Plug and control the DAW directly regardless of a MAS-plug being in focus. To be able to focus on MAS-plug and loose transport control is pretty stupid.

🤷‍♂️

• [Deleted User]
  • tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 290 Pro

HammyHavoc

and now I look like a clueless idiot

Nope 🙂

Perhaps one day the makers will actually understand.............................🤐

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,295 mod
    edited June 2022

@HammyHavoc Ok, I get what you mean now. Only MIDI mode can indeed bring transport back. I see your point, and it's definitely a valid one. I will try to get more information on that. I sincerely doubt that this will change in a near future but maybe I can get some context.

• [Deleted User]