Why in 2022 does Maschine VSTi not pass transport commands from Komplete Kontrol to the DAW?

HammyHavoc
HammyHavoc Liverpool, United KingdomMember Posts: 96 Tri
edited May 10 in Maschine

It's 2022. Why does Maschine VSTi not forward/send transport commands from Komplete Kontrol controllers to the host DAW when a KK controller has a Maschine instance selected?

Maschine VSTi can send its own Host Transport Control, why can't the KK trigger the same HTC when the Maschine instance is selected? Makes zero sense.

It's even more bewildering when you see using Maschine MK3 transport hardware changes the colours of that of the KK, so the potential is definitely there, but it seemingly hasn't been implemented. InKomplete?

Even more weirdly, hitting record successfully arms Maschine VSTi, but play and stop do nothing.

Comments

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 82 Tri

Maschine VSTi can send its own Host Transport Control,

Does it? I don't generally use maschine this way, but the only time I've tested it, I had to check the "host transport control" in the controller editor:

I don't think that's the VST sending anything to host. I still have to map those functions and pick the right ports in my DAW the same way I would if it were in midi mode. It seems more like most of the hardware is in controller mode except for the transport functions. Those are in midi mode. Just guessing though.

Even more weirdly, hitting record successfully arms Maschine VSTi, but play and stop do nothing.

If it works the way I think it does, record arming makes sense if you don't have that box checked. Play/Stop shouldn't work because those functions are linked to the host. Check the box and pressing record is sent to your DAW. The reason I don't use "host transport control" is because I want record to arm maschine; not my host.

I don't have one of their keyboards, but when I look in the controller editor; I don't see the host transport control function. Probably not many people would even notice. How many are using their keyboard to control maschine while it's hosted in a DAW?

I've always just assumed this was a VST thing and not something specific to maschine. I don't know of a VST that sends play/stop to the host. I don't think that's a thing. Maybe it's just a hold over from MIDI. Sync maschine+ (or any hardware) as a slave and play/stop no longer function, but record would "arm". Ableton Link behaves differently; but it's more for sync than control.

• HammyHavoc
    HammyHavoc Liverpool, United KingdomMember Posts: 96 Tri

AFAIK, Maschine's Host Transport Control works via Bome, but there's no reason why it wouldn't be able to have the KK controller trigger the Host Transport Control.