Maschine Mk3 issues cannot record in plugin ableton

Jdubbs75
Jdubbs75 Member Posts: 28 Member
edited January 2022 in Maschine

Hey guys,

I just got my new mk3, and i downloaded the mk3 ableton 11 remote script which works and i can use transport controls, but i cannot use any other controls like browser, events, patterns, my pads, etc... So i have to switch back to new project instance.

so anyways, in control editor i just have the default template that is already on there. All the controls work except transport controls. My issue here is recording. I can record under the ableton live instance but like i said all the other controls are blacked out and cannot be used so i switch back over to new project instance and this is where my project persists and cannot record anything. I can explain further if need be, im wondering if maybe i am missing something stupid like control editor params or setting up midi properly in ableton but ive tried every midi setting in ableton preferences to no avail. If anyone has insight i would so be thankful.

Best Answers

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    Answer ✓

Hey D when you say Mackie remote script in AL could you elaborate. The Mackie Remote script i looked for but do not have it in ableton or at least cannot find it.

MackieControl or MackieControl Classic, either one is fine; It comes with Ableton, open the list and press M on your keyboard if you're having trouble finding it.

I have an M+, not an MK3 so our MIDI ports won't be named the same, for those do as @Uwe303 said.

Also, will this script allow me to scroll through my libraries and set groups etc.? thanks

Yes, it's like I said previously, the MK3 will control everything in Maschine-Plug with the expectation of the Transport buttons which will control Ableton.

unless the remot script is Mackie Control, Mackie Control Classic, or MackieControlXt. I see these in ableton. When i go into control editor i only see Mackie Control, Mackie Control Light, Mcu Transport, and Ableton live 9 after i downloaded a script.

Yes, it's those. A Remote Script is an Ableton thing, in Controller Editor they're called "templates" (the former is a complicated control script API and the latter is just regular MIDI mapping).

Settings should look like this in Controller Editor:

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,967 mod
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

Hello,

you have to select ext contrl midi ports for in and out. And your maschine looks correct, this setup is about the 5 buttons in the green lined box, so if you open a instance of maschine inside ableton, then you are in native control mode not in midi mode, those 5 buttons will control ableton, not maschine anymore. D-One and i thought that´s what you´ve asked for? And you have also to set options as shown in the pic above, but im not totally sure about track control but you have to enable remote for sure.

Uwe

Answers

• D-One
    edited January 2022

i downloaded the mk3 ableton 11 remote script which works and i can use transport controls, but i cannot use any other controls like browser, events, patterns, my pads, etc... So i have to switch back to new project instance.

I am a bit confused... Are you seeing some fancy volume meters on the MK3 screen? Like so:

That's "DAW Control" mode, it doesn't offer anything other than the mixer, transport, and maybe one or two other things, it's pretty but beyond basic, the Pads don't do anything in this mode (which is sort of baffling tbh).

Explain a bit more what you want to do specifically, Control Ableton or Maschine-Plug? Maschine-plug but still have Transport Control in Ableton?

• Jdubbs75

Hey man i was hoping you would respond i downloaded your script but for some reason can't seem to get it to work. I was just trying to get Maschine to work as it does in standalone in Ableton if that is possible. i am pretty darn new to maschine, i just got my mk3 and right now just trying to set everything up so it works properly before i start diving into it. the screen shot you took is the exact script i have which is an instance to choose from or new project which i can pick when i press shift plug-in/instance. the controls you referred to all work but can't do anything with it.

In stand-alone maschine seems to work fine. But when i open it as a plug-in in ableton i can't record midi when i bring up a kit. I am pretty sure you can do this as ive seen quite a few videos on people doing it. So i am not sure what i am doing incorrectly to get it set up properly. I don't know how else to explain this but id like to just be able to use the controller functions like browser, pattern, events, etc... simple functions as well as transport functions if possible but i cannot seem to get it to work like that. When i press record, the red circle comes up on maschine but nothing happens. I am not sure if i need to use a certain template. i tried mackie control but i dont think i was able to get it to work, and when i put it in midi mode i am unable to use a lot of the functions as well.

i guess in simple terms id like to be able to use it more like my s61 mkII which i know maschine is not set up like that but to be able to use the simple functions like transports, flipping through browser, assigning patterns, events, and recording being the most important function, that is it. Hopefully that makes more sense man. Thank you

• D-One
    edited January 2022

I was just trying to get Maschine to work as it does in standalone in Ableton if that is possible.

It is, for the most part. This topic comes up a lot so I'll try to work on a Guide/Tip thread.

the screen shot you took is the exact script i have which is an instance to choose from or new project which i can pick when i press shift plug-in/instance. the controls you referred to all work but can't do anything with it.

Sorry... I don't understand what "they work but I can't do anything with it" means. I think first you need to understand what the different modes are and what they are for; "DAW Control" is not meant to control Maschine-SW at all, it's to control the DAW, not much will happen in Maschine if you press buttons, other than Play/Stop because the DAW is in charge of playback and Mas just follows.

I don't know how else to explain this but id like to just be able to use the controller functions like browser, pattern, events, etc... simple functions as well as transport functions if possible but I cannot seem to get it to work like that.

For this just load the Mackie template in Controller Editor and enable "Host Transport Control" - this makes it so the transport section in the MK3 no longer controls Maschine-Plug, it just sends out MIDI (that matches the MCU /Mackie protocol)

In Ableton's Control Surface preferences select MackieControl, choose the MK3 Ports, and make sure to enable "Track" and "Remote". Now you just stay in Maschine Plug-In and all the buttons will control Maschine-Plug except the transport.

If you want to customize what the Transport buttons do read this post:

• Jdubbs75

Hey D when you say Mackie remote script in AL could you elaborate. I can set up templates with param ids and such but i tried that before and it did not work for so i must be doing something wrong. The Mackie Remote script i looked for but do not have it in ableton or at least cannot find it. Also, which template should i use in control editor to set params etc... I saw one of your posts with this script but i cant find it. Is it something i need to download?

Also, will this script allow me to scroll through my libraries and set groups etc.? thanks

• Jdubbs75

unless the remot script is Mackie Control, Mackie Control Classic, or MackieControlXt. I see these in ableton. When i go into control editor i only see Mackie Control, Mackie Control Light, Mcu Transport, and Ableton live 9 after i downloaded a script.

• Jdubbs75

****** lastly, when im in ableton under preferences, am i supposed to choose certain ins and outs, as the tutorials i have seen Show which control surface to choose, which input and output and midi ports but my inputs and outputs as well as midi ports are completely different then what they have on there system. Mine are as follows for bout in/out and midi in/out

Midi Ports:

Track Sync Remote MPE

>In: Maschine MK3 Ext Midi

Maschine MK3 Ctrl Mid

Out: Maschine MK3 Ext Midi

Maschine Mk3 Ctrl Midi

• Uwe303

Hello,

ext midi in and out are the midi ports on the back of the MK3, so you have to use Ctrl midi in and out.

Uwe

• D-One
    Answer ✓

Hey D when you say Mackie remote script in AL could you elaborate. The Mackie Remote script i looked for but do not have it in ableton or at least cannot find it.

MackieControl or MackieControl Classic, either one is fine; It comes with Ableton, open the list and press M on your keyboard if you're having trouble finding it.

I have an M+, not an MK3 so our MIDI ports won't be named the same, for those do as @Uwe303 said.

Yes, it's like I said previously, the MK3 will control everything in Maschine-Plug with the expectation of the Transport buttons which will control Ableton.

Yes, it's those. A Remote Script is an Ableton thing, in Controller Editor they're called "templates" (the former is a complicated control script API and the latter is just regular MIDI mapping).

Settings should look like this in Controller Editor:

• Jdubbs75

ok thanks, um do you know what i need to choose for the following under control surface and midi ports? im not exactly sure which one needs to be chosen or if both need to be chosen.

• Jdubbs75

ok so i put mackie on but this is what my mk3 looks like when i have mackiecontrol on and im not sure if this is what it should be like but if it is i dont know what to press to get to browser and use other controls

and here is my control editor template

this is where im stuck and confused between what to choose in ableton preferences and if what i did is correct as far as setting up midi controller etc...

• Uwe303
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

Hello,

you have to select ext contrl midi ports for in and out. And your maschine looks correct, this setup is about the 5 buttons in the green lined box, so if you open a instance of maschine inside ableton, then you are in native control mode not in midi mode, those 5 buttons will control ableton, not maschine anymore. D-One and i thought that´s what you´ve asked for? And you have also to set options as shown in the pic above, but im not totally sure about track control but you have to enable remote for sure.

Uwe

• D-One

For the Ports I don't know, don't use Windows but there are only 2 options, try both.

I always have 'Remote' enabled but try with it off like Uwe said if you have issues.

No. In that 1st picture, you are in MIDI Mode, not Maschine Mode. The screens should look exactly the way they look when you're using the Maschine standalone application... For this you must have Maschine-Plugin on an Ableton track otherwise the controller defaults to MIDI Mode.

• Jdubbs75

maybe im explaining things incorrectly and i apologize for that. Basically all i want to be able to do is have all the control like your would in standalone, but be able to record inside the plug-in inside ableton. Like when im in ableton, i open up maschine 2 on a track, i cannot use any transport controls for even the maschine itself. im very new so starting off with that i think is the best thing to do and ill drag and drop into ableton to start with. This is where im having the issues and i feel like you should be able to control maschine 2 in ableton as if you can in standalone unless im wrong.

Being brand new to the hardware, id just like to be able to use the same controls as a default template of standalone maschine meaning i can go to browser, scroll through all my content, then set patterns, and record, play, stop, loop, etc... like in standalone until i start learning the software and be able to move on to more advanced control params.

I dont know if that explains things enough. thank you

• Uwe303
    edited January 2022

Ok then we understood you correct and the settings we have showed you should work. Like described, If you set everything right and open one or more maschine instances into ableton, you control maschine exept those 5 buttons in the green line, they then control Ableton. Only Problem i realized now is those 5 buttons do not contain the record button, so you would have to switch back and forth between midi mode and native control mode or remap one of the 5 buttons to record. But then a ableton remote script would be a better solution if you have to switch back and forth then you even can control ableton really good in addition. But if you start i would do it as you already said and use maschine stand alone learn it fully, then go on to more complex setups.

Uwe

• Jdubbs75

So with this setup i am able to to press play stop record in ableton with mouse and it does record midi in maschine plugin which finally something is responding, but the mk3 transport controls do not work. So i am not quite sure if i am an idiot here and still doing something wrong or what. I really appreciate you guys patience here because i know its irritating to answer the same questions over and over again.

This is what my mk3 looks like in mackie control which is good i can control everything it seems like except the transport controls. the other picture shows when i press record the red record icon goes on and off but it doesnt record, and when i press shift+record like you are supposed to nothing happei

im not sure if there is anything else i can do or if i have something setup still wrong but maybe this will help show you what i have going on more than typing out a bunch of nonsense.