Kontakt 8 speculations and questions thread

Kaiwan_NI
Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,781 admin

Kontakt 8 sneak peek

Landing on September 23, 2024, Kontakt 8 is packed with cool new features we can't wait to share. We can’t spill all the details just yet, but here’s what you can look forward to:

• Chords and Phrases: Tools to spark creativity and generate musical ideas
  • Leap: A platform for experimenting with loops
  • Conflux: A powerful instrument for modulating sounds with wavetable features

Get a closer look at the interface and see Kontakt 8 in action with this teaser:

Soooo what do you think these new features can do? What are you hoping to see? Got any wishes or ideas? Drop your questions and guesses below – we’re keen to see what you think.

Tagged:

Comments

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,433 mod
    edited September 2

I think it’s interesting to see Kontakt get a side browser like KK used to have. Evidently someone finally realised that configuration works well as it enables drag and drop of samples into instruments

I just hope that this thinking brings about a return of the side browser and drag and drop to Komplete Kontrol

From the image it looks like it also offers some cool layering and new performance tools which it would also be great to see in KK too

• ScottyBready
    ScottyBready Member Posts: 13 Member

Looks interesting! As a Kontrol MK3 user I'm especially excited about the upgrades to Kontakt 8!

• 33tetragammon
    33tetragammon Member Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2

this update looks interesting to me.

LEAP seems lika a good way to mangle sounds in realtime.

from Musicradar:

"Leap is a tool for transforming loops and one-shots that makes it easy to turn a basic sample into a new hook, riff or texture. Shipping with 12 curated loop packs geared towards specific genres and styles, Leap will also let you load in and manipulate YOUR OWN SAMPLES and trigger its effects in real-time with the black keys on your keyboard."

on a side note, i really think NI are getting back up to speed again, delivering all (so far) that was mentioned by the CEO a while ago. nice!

• oobe79
    oobe79 Member Posts: 117 Advisor

What exactly is Conflux. Your website says it is a new hybrid instrument. I don’t understand. Did you turn Kontakt into a hybrid wavetable synthesizer? If so, I’m confused why you would do this.

• Kymeia

Kontakt 7 already has wavetable synthesis capabilities but I don't think they have been particularly accessible or well realised. It looks like this develops that capability further while placing it in a much more accessible format.

• bytechop
    bytechop Member Posts: 3 Member

A option to use modules from Reaktor inside Kontakt would be still a nice feature. :)

• oobe79

I’m so confused. I thought Kontakt is a ROM-based sampler multi-output instrument. If by wavetable synthesis, you mean Kontakt uses its ROM samples to create wavetables, then okay. But that’s kinda different than a synthesizer. The new webpage makes it sound like they are turning Kontakt into an hybrid synth. I guess I just don’t understand this approach.

• oobe79

Oh God no. Why would anyone want that? You can already load a limited version of Reaktor ensembles in Komplete Kontrol (and it’s awful).

• Kymeia
    edited September 2

Wavetable as source was added in K7 (or was it 6?). I haven't used it because it's really not very accessible

So I guess Conflux is building on that capability and hopefully has also enhanced it

• Lionzinio
    Lionzinio Member Posts: 22 Member

So I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Kontakt 8 won't support the S1 keyboard line that NI rolled out and discarded.

Is this the case? Or will NI take the radical view that it's actually worth them supporting some of the hardware that they sold relatively recently (or very recently if you look at it from an instrument lifetime timescale)?

I'm hoping it's the latter, but given the updated Komplete Kontrol no longer recognises the S1 range, I don't hold out any hope.