Komplete Kontrol Categories randomly change and put many products into "other"

anthony-1979
anthony-1979 Member Posts: 28 Member
edited March 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

Recently my KK has been showing libraries all under "other" instead of 'sampled instruments" and "synthesizers" etc. Sometimes KK loads with only a few under "other" and the rest properly categorized but it's never how it used to be with correct placements of products in the correct categories. Any idea how to remedy this? I've rescanned and deleted prefs and got Komplete Kontrol to re-init and it doesn't fix the problem.

Best Answer

• anthony-1979
    Answer ✓

I deleted all things NI and reinstalled all NI products and deleted the waves NKS preference files. That About solved all my loading time issues and also solved the wrong categories.

Answers

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,099 admin

Tagging @Jeremy_NI, he might know what's happening here.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,113 mod

Hey @anthony-1979 it looks like you are already in contact with one of our support agents, it might be good to let them know about this new issue. Usually, deleting these folders and files would fix this:

Mac HD/Users/User Name/Library/Application Support/Native Instruments/Komplete Kontrol (folder)

Mac HD/Users/User Name/Library/Application Support/Native Instruments/Shared/favorites.db3

Note: the User Library folder is hidden. To access it, click on Go in the menu bar and press down the Alt key. You'll now find the Library entry in the menu:

• anthony-1979
    edited March 2022

Thanks for this info, I kinda did this when removing everything NI to start from scratch again. You may be interested to know that the original problem I was having was NI synths like Absynth, FM8, reaktor taking forever to load. I narrowed it down to having Waves NKS files installed. Removing the Waves stuff made everything super snappy again. Just wanting to point this out so that It can be perhaps investigated and fixed.

Tiny side note: Session Bass - Prime Bass "always" eventually puts itself into "other" category. Was the only item in "other" before everything got screwed up for me and now after a fresh install is again under "other".

• Jeremy_NI

Hey @anthony-1979 Ok, this definitely requires more information on your system. Please inform my colleague of this new problem, and also please send the missing files.

• anthony-1979

Can I just clarify what’s happened for a second.

Ok so I had 2 issues to begin with. The first was slow loading NI synths. The second was all categories being lost and everything appearing under ‘other’. I deleted everything NI related from my computer and started from scratch. With native access started to install everything from scratch. Got everything back to normal running super fast and everything appearing under the correct categories again. Except for prime bass which likes to go to ‘other’. As soon as I installed waves NKS again everything was back to sluggish load times for about 5 synths. Removed waves.native.instruments prefs and everything super fast again. I’m happy now without the waves NKS and it’s a little annoying but prime bass is parked at ‘other’. Hope this clarifies the situation.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,524 admin

@anthony Looks like your issue has now been resolved with the help of the support team. Do you mind sharing a solution with us? 🙂

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

It has happened to me also that I have all plugins under Others. On Win. I thought it is some kind of intended change.

Trully said, I prefer it as it is now, and do not want to get it repaired to correct state.

Different people, different preferences. Hard to please all.

• anthony-1979
    Answer ✓

I deleted all things NI and reinstalled all NI products and deleted the waves NKS preference files. That About solved all my loading time issues and also solved the wrong categories.

• dogbreath11
    dogbreath11 Member Posts: 59 Newcomer

hi, im having the same issue where all of my libraries and synths now sit under the other category. previously they were all seperated into different categories drums, sampled instruments, synthesizers. is there a fix for windows 11 without having to unistall and reinstall my komplete?

thanks

• Jeremy_NI

@dogbreath11 Have you tried resetting the database and deleting the favorites, as shown in this thread?

• dogbreath11

hi,the video you made suggesting to delete files is for mac and doesnt translate to windows. ive serached my harddrive for favorites.db3 but no success

the only suggestion i see in this thread is to delete everything ni. i have komplete ultimate collecters edition, deleting all of this and reinstalling is going to take a very very long time which i dont have. there must be a quick fix for this? im using windows 11. can u make instructions for windows please?

thanks

• Jeremy_NI

@dogbreath11 The solution is not to uninstall everything (in most cases) and then reinstall. The solution is usually to delete the database first, then delete favorites if that didn't work.

To reset the database on WIndows:

1. In the Windows File Explorer, go to the following location:
    2. C: > Users > "Your Username" > AppData > Local > Native Instruments
    3. Note: The "AppData" is a hidden Windows folder. See this article for instructions to display hidden Windows folders.
    4. Search through the Native Instruments folder at this location to find the Komplete Kontrol folder.
    5. Delete the Komplete Kontrol folder

The favorites db file on WIndows is found here: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Native Instruments\Shared

• dogbreath11

hi, thanks for the sugestions. i deleted both the komplete kontrol folder and the favorites db file but unfortunately this didnt work, after a fresh rescan, all of my libraries and synths are still under the 'other' category instead of 'drums & perc, 'sampled instruments' & 'synthesizers'.

i really hope i havnt got to reinstall everything. i like to use super8 quite a lot and currently its at the back end of the menu and requires a lot of scrolling to get to whereas before i navigated to synthesizers and then a small cycle to super8

thanks

• Jeremy_NI

@dogbreath11 I see you are already in contact with my fellow supporters, hopefully they'll find a way to fix your issue.

• DomiKamu
    DomiKamu Member Posts: 4 Member
    edited November 2022

Hi, when we can expect for a RELIABLE database management inside Komplete Kontrol software ?

Why the "Rescan" button doesn't work as expected for this? (in general, the "Rescan" button doesn't fix anything, scans are not completed/not consistent.

After rescan, some instruments don't have their icon (only generic/default grey icon), or/and go to "Other" category (concerns mainly "Factory", after installation or uninstallation of third party plugins, such Arturia, u-he, AAS, etc.). Also, Retro Machines appears as both "Synthesizers" and "Sampled" categories.

This major issue ages, their many complaints since 2016 (as far as I can see in different forums and social networks). Okay, it's cool to add VST3 support (and other goodies), it's really appreciated, but it's unacceptable to see this bug, end of 2022.