Maschine Plus - Drop outs when changing scenes (MAS-29716)

Options

Comments

• Acidizer
    Acidizer Member Posts: 24 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

I have one sound on a project that always pops/clicks when I unmute it for the first time. I pre-play it first on the pads to get the jarring pops out of the way. I think if I bypass the effects it doesn't pop or click. Reverb and a transient effect.

It reliably happens on this one sound within the project, I think it would be good to study it further if anyone is interested.

I don't see any CPU spikes that would cause it.

• S Righteous
    S Righteous Member Posts: 148 Helper
    Options

This will happen with almost any of the instrument sounds, but not samples. I had a case where just using the kick instrument caused issues, so I had to sample it to avoid those. The kick instrument is very simple, so I don't think it's related to the CPU weight of the plug-in, but the CPU trying to get that first note sorted out in the sequence fast enough, or something along those lines.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Options

Would it be ok for you to share the project, so I can forward it to the M+ devs?

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 609 Guru
    edited April 2023
    Options

I hope fixing this bug resolves some of the similar issues people have been having with M+.. I used to experience this sort of things on earlier OS'es but since upgrading to a fast 3rd party SD card and some of the recent updates, haven't really encountered em anymore

• olafmol
    olafmol Member Posts: 134 Pro
    edited April 2023
    Options

This would suggest a buffer underrun, and if this would be the case, increasing your buffer-size would solve the issue.

In my experience, it's not a CPU or buffer-size issue, but has something to do with the audio player or sampler in Maschine. I cannot 100% reproduce it, but even when disabling all other sounds and fx, sometimes there is a crackle when playing a sampler/audio module based sound for the first time, or when switching scenes.

BTW i have a Maschine MK3, and the crackles happen in my software on certain projects (older projects?)

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    Options

I get this issue if there's Audio-Plugins present, the more there is the bigger the problem, each Scene change triggers a glitchy pop/click. So in my case, that's the cause. Buffer size and CPU % usage does not matter.

It doesn't matter if it's M+ standalone or a controller, it's a Maschine software bug... There's a thread with more details somewhere - Not sure if this is the same issue some folks are talking about here tho, there might be other stuff mixed up.

• olafmol
    Options

I've been reviving my memory on this. I've been able to reproduce the issue with a project called "Dark Confectionary" (i think it came with a free expansion kit sometime). This consistently started with crackles when pressing play, and when switching scenes. Increasing buffer size helped a little, but didn't solve all the crackles. So it did seem like a buffer underrun due to a CPU spike when starting or switching scenes.

After disabling and removing all the FX (which are a lot in this project) the crackle was still there. Only when changing the audio modules to sampler modules, the crackles all went away. Introducing multiple audio modules again caused the crackles to return.

So my conclusion is that audio modules are relative heavy on the CPU, and seem also to be running in the background (i see the CPU meter hover a little bit even when not playing audio) and when they a triggered the first time, by a play or switch scene, they (collectively) spike CPU which introduces a buffer underrun in the audio, and thus an audio crackle.

So I guess the request to everybody that's having the crackle problem: try to remove the audio modules and see if it solves your issue.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,356 Expert
    Options

This thread is about Maschine Plus with any Synth engine, not related to Sample playback at all.

Yours is a different issue!

• D-One
    edited April 2023
    Options

I wouldn't go concluding that, it happens to me with very few Audio Plugs, like 3 or 4, there's no way in hell that tiny amount stresses my CPU or the one on the M+.

Wait what? Then I was offtopic too.

I'm confused now, it seems like the thread is about audio issues when changing Scenes, no? M+ is in the tittle but this affects all the SW...

• olafmol
    edited April 2023
    Options

i'm with @D-One , i was assuming this was about crackles when changin scenes? Imho there is no difference between Maschine sw running on the + embedded PC, or Maschine running on a laptop. Crackles on both ;)

@D-One same here, only a few audio units (about 3 or 4) already introduce a steep CPU spike when audio is being started (including scene switch). This only happens the first time they are triggered. I see my CPU meter in Maschine peak for a very short time, and then go back to the normal load that the audio modules seem to generate, even in non-playing mode.

Additionally, i notice that it's only the "Stretch" and "Formant" engines that create these CPU spikes, not the "re-pitch" engine.

The CPU spike is not seen in my Macbook CPU monitor, it's a very temporarily spike in the Maschine CPU meter, and corresponds with the crackling sound.

• S Righteous
    Options

Ozon is correct: "This thread is about Maschine Plus with any Synth engine, not related to Sample playback at all."

Just to confirm, (I started the thread) and there is a previous post where I attached a sample project you can use to verify the issue. It's very simple, idles at 10% CPU, a few samples and one instance of Massive, and this caused the issue where the first note from Massive gets flubbed.

I'm using M+ standalone, so audio buffers are irrelevant.

It is not the sample engine causing issues, it is any synth engine. The NI team has been able to replicate the problem and are aware of it.

• D-One
    Options

OOOHH. Thanks, gotcha, I was the one talking about a separate issue! Sorry, I ended up derailing the topic further.

So, to recap the issue is:

On a fresh boot, if a Scene is triggered with any synth that has not been played before it will produce an audible glitch/pop, after that, it's all good - except if you leave the device idle for some time, then it happens again. Right?

@S Righteous if this recap is OK can I edit it into your OP? To make things clearer, I think users can't edit old posts.

• S Righteous
    Options

Yup, the issue happens as you explain it. If you reload a project it does not happen, if you turn the unit off and on, and reload, then it does happen.

But it happens to each pattern. So it can happen more than once per project load, if you have a second synth on a different pattern which has not been played before. I have to go back and retest that to see if there is more to it, but that is my memory of the problem.

My original post was more generic, and then through a process of back and forth advice from the community I found the simple exact issue. So the first post in the thread is kinda all over. But NI was able to confirm they could replicate, so that part is solid and I wouldn't want to start a new thread to clean this one up, because they are on here.

• S Righteous
    Options

Just checking back in a month or so later - to see if this is on a bug fix roadmap or anything?

• S Righteous
    Options

Just checking back in a few months later to see if there was an update/fix.