Busy season in progress... Please note that due to a high volume of requests, the response time from our support is currently longer than usual. Chat is temporarily not available. We thank you for your understanding.

Using the "expression pedal" as a continuous sustain pedal for Kontakt libraries such as Noire?

Chats
Chats Member Posts: 8 Sine

Hi there,

I have an M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro keyboard on it's way to me, and it's sustain pedal input only supports on/off switch pedal, however it has an expression pedal input that accepts a "continuous" pedal.

I would like to get a nice piano library like Noire which supports half-pedaling, but obviously for that Noire would be expecting a "continuous" midi signal for the sustain, is that correct?

If so, can I buy a continuous sustain pedal such as the Roland DP-10, plug it into the expression pedal input of the keyboard, and use that signal to drive the sustain in Noire?

Would it be as simple as somehow reassigning a midi channel (from CC11 to CC64) ?

Would that be done within Noire/Kontakt, or would I need to have an middle-man plugin to modify that midi message? Or maybe I can change it with M-Audio's own software?

If anyone has been able to make this work I would love to hear what steps you took to achieve it.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI BerlinCustomer Care Posts: 2,826 mod
    Answer ✓

@Chats What you would need is a half damper pedal. I'm not sure if your keyboard supports them or not, it might worth checking on that side. For example, for our keyboards there is a special setup for these half damper pedals:

Half-Damper (Pedal B)

1. Connect a footswitch that is capable of Half-Damper pedaling.
    2. Note: Please check this article for a compatible list of pedals.
    3. Click Pedal B and set the Mode to Cont (Continuous).
    4. Set the Type to Ctrl Change.
    5. Set the MIDI Channel to 1.
    6. Set the Number to MIDI CC# 64.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI BerlinCustomer Care Posts: 2,826 mod
    Answer ✓

@Chats What you would need is a half damper pedal. I'm not sure if your keyboard supports them or not, it might worth checking on that side. For example, for our keyboards there is a special setup for these half damper pedals:

Half-Damper (Pedal B)

1. Connect a footswitch that is capable of Half-Damper pedaling.
    2. Note: Please check this article for a compatible list of pedals.
    3. Click Pedal B and set the Mode to Cont (Continuous).
    4. Set the Type to Ctrl Change.
    5. Set the MIDI Channel to 1.
    6. Set the Number to MIDI CC# 64.

• Chats
    Chats Member Posts: 8 Sine

Thanks Jeremy, that makes sense.

It sounds like it depends on the keyboard itself, and although the one I'm getting does have a "continuous" expression pedal input, it sounds like it would depend on whether their software allows me to assign that expression pedal to MIDI CC# 64 or not..