Using the "expression pedal" as a continuous sustain pedal for Kontakt libraries such as Noire?

Chats
Chats Member Posts: 8 Member

Hi there,

I have an M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro keyboard on it's way to me, and it's sustain pedal input only supports on/off switch pedal, however it has an expression pedal input that accepts a "continuous" pedal.

I would like to get a nice piano library like Noire which supports half-pedaling, but obviously for that Noire would be expecting a "continuous" midi signal for the sustain, is that correct?

If so, can I buy a continuous sustain pedal such as the Roland DP-10, plug it into the expression pedal input of the keyboard, and use that signal to drive the sustain in Noire?

Would it be as simple as somehow reassigning a midi channel (from CC11 to CC64) ?

Would that be done within Noire/Kontakt, or would I need to have an middle-man plugin to modify that midi message? Or maybe I can change it with M-Audio's own software?

If anyone has been able to make this work I would love to hear what steps you took to achieve it.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

@Chats What you would need is a half damper pedal. I'm not sure if your keyboard supports them or not, it might worth checking on that side. For example, for our keyboards there is a special setup for these half damper pedals:

Half-Damper (Pedal B)

1. Connect a footswitch that is capable of Half-Damper pedaling.
    2. Note: Please check this article for a compatible list of pedals.
    3. Click Pedal B and set the Mode to Cont (Continuous).
    4. Set the Type to Ctrl Change.
    5. Set the MIDI Channel to 1.
    6. Set the Number to MIDI CC# 64.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

@Chats What you would need is a half damper pedal. I'm not sure if your keyboard supports them or not, it might worth checking on that side. For example, for our keyboards there is a special setup for these half damper pedals:

Half-Damper (Pedal B)

1. Connect a footswitch that is capable of Half-Damper pedaling.
    2. Note: Please check this article for a compatible list of pedals.
    3. Click Pedal B and set the Mode to Cont (Continuous).
    4. Set the Type to Ctrl Change.
    5. Set the MIDI Channel to 1.
    6. Set the Number to MIDI CC# 64.

• Chats
    Chats Member Posts: 8 Member

Thanks Jeremy, that makes sense.

It sounds like it depends on the keyboard itself, and although the one I'm getting does have a "continuous" expression pedal input, it sounds like it would depend on whether their software allows me to assign that expression pedal to MIDI CC# 64 or not..