[Giveaway] Win a 50 USD/EUR voucher for ELECTRIC MINT

Options

Comments

• Stephen Howe
    Stephen Howe Member Posts: 5 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options

Prince soloing on While My Guitar Gently Weeps at the George Harrison memorial concert is still one of the best solos ever put on film I think.

• Strayparticle
    Strayparticle Member Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options

Pink Floyd - Echoes

This is an epic song from their 1971 Meddle album and this version is a live concert from David Gilmour's 2006 On an Island tour. Actually, the recording is from the final concert in this tour, in Gdansk - Poland. Rick Wright joined Gilmour in this tour, playing the keyboards. The song has quite a few cool solos (I like the one at 4m:35s - 5m:45s), but the most special part (in my opinion) starts at the 21m:05s mark and goes on to the very end. This is like a magical musical conversation between David Gilmour and Rick Wright. As some of you may know, Rick Wright passed away in 2008, and I believe this was the last time they performed Echoes together. I always think about this last segment as two friends reminiscing about the old days, their musical journey together, and finally saying their goodbyes to each other. A beautiful mark to leave behind.

• Tall261
    Tall261 Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

All of these choices are great guitar solos. But NI stated that it needed to be the most "iconic" guitar solo of all time NOT the only I like the most. That would require that almost anyone who heard it would recognize it. "That" is what makes something "iconic".

That can mean only one guitar solo is even in the running, which would be Jimmy Page and Stairway to Heaven. Here's a cover done on the actual guitar (almost) for the "Session Guitarist Electric Mint" logo screen.

https://youtu.be/p7P9j7jwvJQ

• Zemo72
    Zemo72 Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Years ago, a buddy of mine had this concert on VHS. I'd heard of SRV, but just assumed he was another blues guy. I was into Rock/Metal, and had a long list of fave players, already. But Stevie Ray Vaughn's version of Little Wing, especially from the 'Live at The El Mocambo ' is the first time, that hearing/watching someone play guitar, had brought tears to my eyes. Especially, starting around the 3:00 mark, he plays so lightly, and starts a buildup, that builds into a chaotic masterpiece. It's as if the guitar is literally a part of him. This performance changed the may I viewed, listened to, and played music. A lot of guitar solos inspired me. This one, changed my DNA. https://youtu.be/i6G53BMgugo

• thomas aldrich
    thomas aldrich Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Beat It :EV knocks on his guitar like a door as if to say let me in so I can burn the place down. Steve Lukather plays the main riff...double bonus!

• Zemo72
    Zemo72 Member Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options

*tried to post this from my phone, but did not see it actually post

'Little Wing' by Stevie Ray Vaughn, from "Live at the El Mocambo"

Years ago, a buddy of mine, had "SRV- Live at The El Mocambo" on VHS. I was a rock/metal guy, and had plenty of players who inspired me, so I wasn't really interested in watching it, at first. I have to say, that this was the first time, that listening to a piece of music, actually brought tears to my eyes. Especially at the 3 minute mark, he starts playing, so quietly, but still putting everything into each note...it builds up, into a chaotic masterpiece, that feels like a train, struggling to not fly off the rails. When people say stuff like, "the guitar was as if it was literally a part of them," this is the performance, I think of. This changed the way I saw/listened/played music. Life Changing. RIP Stevie.

• Robert13
    Robert13 Member Posts: 19 Member
    Options

This solo made me start playing guitar. In that sense, it is the reason why I am in a band at all now. So glad to have seen him in real life last month (for the first time in my life!).

• ManoVarunKumar
    ManoVarunKumar Member Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Love it when artists collaborate, and especially with a song like sultans of swing

• FlymoSale
    FlymoSale Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

This is my favourite solo of all time, maybe Slightly bias as Bon Jovi are my favourite band. But I doubt you’ll find another post on here about them. Give Sambora some credit for this, he absolutely nails it.

solo starts to build around 4:00 then really pops at 4:40.

lovely stuff.

• Jesse1977
    Jesse1977 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I chose Blackbird by Alter Bridge. A very underrated rock band.

The solo's from Mark Tremonti and Myles Kennedy complement each other perfectly.

So much emotion in that song and guitar solos!

• Pete Mac
    Pete Mac Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Joe Walsh from The Eagles originally played this on the Foo Fighters' album Sonic Highways. Despite a broken leg in a cast, Dave Grohl plays it live here...

• Joost van Halm
    Joost van Halm Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Joe Satriani "Flying In A Blue Dream"

This song is to me one long guitar solo… The melodic style of playing that Joe Satriani so effortlessly performs is just mind blowing. Definitely one of my favourite guitar solo’s

• Tony Dave
    Tony Dave Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Pat Metheny Group - Are you going with me?

https://youtu.be/qY8z1w1JzMs. Pat’s solo on the Roland GR300 synth guitar starts at 3.44. Astonishing guitar line. This rendition from YouTube is not exactly the original one off the Offramp album, but it’s quite close. At the end of the day, isn't it jazz? improvisation is always around the corner…Enjoy!

• afrogrit
    afrogrit Member Posts: 57 Helper
    Options

Steve Vai vs Ralph Macchio Battle

• damnrock
    damnrock Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Floating solo, performed by Jack White along with the Raconteurs.

It is a solo that goes pretty much along the entire piece.

I like it because it feels like a cool explosion. I like how it builds, and how well it is performed.

This discussion has been closed.