Instrument Modeling.. should NI hit this hard to catch up with others?

Options

Comments

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,286 Guru
    edited May 2022
    Options

It suspect would take a strong advocate of this concept to make a pitch to the powers at Soundwide and how it fits in to the big picture vs a bunch of competing ideas I'm sure.

I can envision a whole range of lower-cost wireless controllers that are not anything like traditional pads or keyboards to interact with articulations in a way that feels somewhat like a natural connection to an abstraction of the modeled object. This could fit into a new era of music making in a virtual realm as well as be something new for artists who want to bring something different to the stage.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert
    Options

Who wants something like that may buy Yamaha and similar... Or products of expressive-e, or Leap Motion sensor. Or many others....

• nightjar
    Options

Nothing currently from those 3 companies is on target for success in the market as I see it.

• Kubrak
    Options

It has success. The only problem is that demand is not that high. Most people are damn conservative and down to earth.

• nightjar
    Options

I'm seeing a different market than you.. and that's OK and to be expected.. We each have different life experiences.

I see a very ripe market for something else......

• Kubrak
    edited May 2022
    Options

You should apply for possition at NI. ;-) You have so much ideas, what they should do. CEO might suit you.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,600 Expert
    Options

I think his ideas are just a tad too big for NI and the envisioned workflows a bit niche. Great to dream I guess, but that's kinda all it is.

Still waiting for simple things to happen like just a resizable GUI or adding a preview volume slider to the user page in KK (ffs), not sure expecting NI to invest in modelling and AI based tag browsing is a realistic goal on this planet anyway.

Their hands will be full for the next 18 months just making everything M1 compatible.

• nightjar
    Options

I feel the odds for innovation have suffered with Plugin Alliance getting such a strong position in Soundwide. When it was just iZotope and NI, the chance to create something that pushed the envelope was more likely.

• nightjar
    Options

Just ran across this interesting interview that has some "dreaming" at the end:

Excerpt:

Being a composer that’s so familiar with the design of custom virtual instruments, Dern is naturally curious about how audio production software might develop in the future, and has some ideas of her own. “I can make a two-minute cue in the morning within two hours, but it will take another eight to do the mockup, so the bulk of that work really needs to be cut short. I’d love to see specific samplers, sample library companies and DAWs working together to figure out a faster way of doing this. One thing that should be possible – and is coming up in sample modelling – is for an engine to detect what articulation you’ll be playing by default instead of having to tell it what something was. Or, eventually being able to just write sheet music in notation software, import that and have your DAW’s Kontakt instruments create the mockup from your sheet music. Basically, I’d like to see more AI-based stuff take over a lot of the things that we have to do manually.”

• Tony Jones
    Tony Jones Member Posts: 261 Pro
    Options

Really? I thought market surveys / actual sales could tell you the real market size. Speculation and reality don't always meet

• nightjar
    Options

Every market size is in constant flux... subject to change from a myriad of factors. Speculation is inherent to the process of seeking a "new" market from within a shifting sea of possibilities. Surveys for this purpose are designed with this inherent speculation.

• Kubrak
    Options

You have so many ideas, what others should do...

What about to get loan, or find an investor and do it yourself? Or what about going to owners of Soundwide and sell them your visions?

• Kubrak
    Options

No, I mean it. It is waste to share your stream of inovative ideas here on forum and not to convert it in big money.

• nightjar
    Options

Oh.. sorry for my prior reply, and thank you. I have been tightening up some thoughts for an action beyond words. I am lucky to have some resources that will help in several aspects of this.