Instrument Modeling.. should NI hit this hard to catch up with others?

Options

Comments

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert
    Options

Yamaha for wind? Expressive-E for keyboards and others?

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,286 Guru
    Options

Sure…. BUT…. NI can put a whole new spin on the concept of controllers and interacting with modeled instruments. This is ripe for new thinking and could bring a whole new performance experience that could even mesh with the DJ crowd.

• Kubrak
    Options

It also needs the demand and people willing to pay for... Lots of people in case of NI.

NI does not address even aftertouch, so speaking about other, extended features seems to be utopy...

• nightjar
    edited May 2022
    Options

Chicken and Egg... NI can create demand by offering something innovative, but related to core strengths.

Roli was a bold effort, but too expensive and not enough scope to hit a range of adopters.

NI could usher in something pretty interesting...

After all.. Tracktor is already in this vein of manipulating a virtual turntable...

And some say the DJ market is gotten to be too much "faking it" on stage with less actual performance happening.

Something new could be big fun...

Start with something as "simple" as a "Tamborine on steroids".... with a ribbon controller perimeter for melodic lines...

• Moonbot7000
    Moonbot7000 Member Posts: 61 Member
    Options

How are the pianos modeled without using samples? Are they actually using digital oscillators for the pianos? Not saying its not possible, I haven't heard that before, all of the high end pianos I've seen have been sample based with sophisticated equipment to trigger and capture sounds.

• nightjar
    edited May 2022
    Options

Here's a little snippet to start with:

And the fun expands like this:

Instruments VibraDrum, CimbaHarp or GlockenTines for sure do not exist. However these are three of the many instruments you can create with the acoustic Morphing introduced in Pianoteq 7 (Standard and PRO). This new technology handles the morphing at the physical modelling level, providing a stunning acoustic authenticity to instruments that never existed. The timbre of the morphed instrument you create is the one of an imaginary acoustic instrument whose physical parameters lie somewhere in between those of the instruments from which you started building the morphing.

Also:

Pianoteq is compatible with the NKS format. By using the Komplete Kontrol software by Native Instruments, you will have convenient access to the list of presets and the VST parameters.

• Moonbot7000
    Moonbot7000 Member Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing, that's really interesting. It's physical modelling, which if I'm not mistaken has to do with using partials...I'd love to see under the hood of that, probably a lot of data analysis and then mapping the partials to behave similarly to the acoustic source instruments. It's not necessarily in the same group, but Prism is a physical modeling synth that has some amazing keys and bells sounds. It doesn't try to be an "authentic recreation" of anything, so again, not the same bucket as that piano instrument you shared, but nonetheless some great sounds that can be further refined with partial manipulation/modulation.

• Tony Jones
    Tony Jones Member Posts: 261 Pro
    Options

It would be interesting to see the real market size for this, without speculating on 'what if NI did XXX'

I can't see it happening until NI admits a lot of its products are legacy and drops support, letting them focus on core areas. I agree some innovation for a new product line would be interesting, but look at the delay to getting Maschine+ out, the lukewarm reception for the first versions of Massive-X and the changes of ownership.

Look also at Komplete. It looks like a tremendous investment (particularly when on sale) but how much of it do most people use? There are bits of Ultimate I like the look of, but most of the synth instruments are a few years old (or more), I don't have a real use for the orchestral and I have a lot of the expansions from various 9 for 90 sales.

• Psyearth5
    Psyearth5 Member Posts: 177 Helper
    Options

Even Micro Prism can do amazing stuff . True modal technology with realistic sounds but you have to dig a little deeper. I made couple of tracks using Prism and everyone was thinking that I used samples and some sorts of resampling with delay and reverb but it was just Prism with hyper realistic tones modulating . There are much more in NI stuff and you will quickly realize that you need to be more creative because NI is offering so many ways to be and no one will think about what type of synth engine is used if track is good. Just be creative 😉

• nightjar
    Options

You HAVE to speculate "what if NI did XXX" to determine "real" market size. Such speculation is inherent in the process to define the theoretical market.

• Kubrak
    Options

You are wrong. NI has to do "what if we do XXX", not the users speculate about NI. NI has much more data to make more or less sound decision. Users just speculate and make assumptions based on weak foundations....

• nightjar
    Options

Not wrong at all. I was using "you" in the sense of any entity seeking to learn more about a potential market.

Additionally, users speculating about such things is fun for its own sake. Nothing wrong with that... Exercising creative thought.

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,023 mod
    Options

I like physical modeling, a lot. Pianoteq is breathtaking and amazing.

But Pianoteq was also constantly developed for over 10 years to reach this point in believability. I don't see NI taking this route, it's too risky.

• nightjar
    edited May 2022
    Options

Development time is why I suggested a Soundwide acquisition earlier in this thread. Possibly the IP of a company like Audio Modeling could be a major jumpstart. Having some ready-to-go banks of solo strings, woodwinds and brass seems like a "safe" starting point.. and then pursuing some morphing between these three categories could lead to a lot of "super-organic" and very expressive melodic instrument voices.

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,023 mod
    Options

I don't see it happening, to be honest.