Question to Traktor DJ2 retirement

Options
Aquadics
Aquadics Member Posts: 61 Helper

Since Traktor DJ2 was the only NI DJ software on iOS, will there be a new product or will we get Traktor Pro running on iOS ?

At leased on the new iPad Pro models which are based on Apple Silicon M1.

Comments

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,422 Expert
    Options

I very much doubt it.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,307 Expert
    edited April 21
    Options

Me too.

NI never showed much love for iDevices, and they found a way to completely abandon those platforms. Probably someone in the old management wanted to try to open up to mobile devices but then, after they didn’t saw much profit coming from it (prices there are very low), they decided not to continue and, now, to even cancel everything they already had.

My guess is that the people willing to try that way back in the days more than a way to make profit were looking for a “gate” to their desktop products (hence why iMaschine was so limited: it was more a companion for Maschine desktop users, or even better, an advertising: “look what you can do on your phone. Now, if you are interested in more, come to see what we offer on desktop”). And I’m quite sure it did also work: probably there were some users that, after spending few bucks on their iPhones, were gathered to desktop. Or desktop users that thought “yes, I’m on the right platform with Maschine. Look how cool it is: I can even start my ideas on the run on my iPhone/ipad”. But now that many other platforms are doing the same (Ableton with their Note or all the apps with Ableton sets export, ProTools with their Sketch, some apps that can directly export to Studio One, or Presonus own apps to control it, like the controllers for Logic or many other DAWs) NI thought it was time to abandon the ship.

But, as we already seen, the way NI analysis the data they collect is…well…let’s say at least “quite strange”. Probably it’s more focused on “does it make us directly gain money?” than anything else (even the aforementioned indirect advertising or users base enlargement)

In my opinion, they are wasting an opportunity (maybe more on the “well thought companions apps” field than the direct porting of the platforms on iDevices, although with the power iPads and iPhones have now it could be feasible more than what it has ever been).

And I even doubt they will ever think to port anything from their instruments/fxs catalogue to iDevices, although the industry is moving in the opposite direction (with, aside for the already aforementioned Ableton, ProTools and Studio One, Logic being on iPad, Cubase having its version on iPad AND iPhone, Korg being on mobiles from a long time, Moog making their synths for them, FabFilter, Audiothing, Audio Damage, Sugar Bytes, IK Multimedia all porting their products (or being there from a long time)…just to mention a few…)

• Aquadics
    Aquadics Member Posts: 61 Helper
    Options

Ok, thanks for your answers.

I would have more expected an official answer from NI since everything else would be speculation.

Like you, I see it more or less the same. If I just consider the Roadmap and how longs it takes for new feature release I see that the Developers must be on there limits and that there are no resources for additional stuff.

Thanks for sharing your opinions.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,307 Expert
    Options

You’re welcome.

I fear the official answer from NI is exactly the Traktor DJ2 EOL.

At least this time it was immediate: NI is usually scared by giving “official answers”.

In the case of iMaschine EOL, users asked for infos long time before. After an initial “we will ask for an official statement”, they continuously said “an announcement is coming”…pushing things forward and forward to then come after more than 1 year saying “iMaschine is EOL”…