I have a license for Reaktor 5 but it does not appear in latest Native Access

Options

Answers

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,142 mod
    edited February 20
    Options

Try checking your user and program access settings including the granting full disk access for all NI apps. And for DAW

Else make sure disk location is of right disk format !

• Gerry Carson
    Gerry Carson Member Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Yep - both Native Access (NA1) and Maschine have full disk access (they are the only relevant NI apps - I also have Traktor Pro 3 but it doesn't need this)

The disk I am selecting is my internal HD so should be the right format.

I have managed to get Full access now in Ableton again by changing folder names in the settings of the app (the hard disk name was still showing as my previous MacBook). But nothing in Machine.

I think that is as far as I will be able to go. Not having it in Maschine is not going to be a big issue and I still have other VSTs (Serum, Nexus, Massive, Monark with R6) so that should be ok.

• Gerry Carson
    Options

lol - I think I have gotten as far as I can now, Working in Ableton is good enough and I won't miss it in Maschine.

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,142 mod
    Options

Thank you for providing feedback. Glad to see my decision to call off Hayo were the right one !

• Hayo_NI
    Hayo_NI Product Team Posts: 281 mod
    Options

Hey, glad you got access to Reaktor. To clarify, Native Access 2 does not show products you don't have installed that are incompatible with your OS. Main reason for this is to avoid an overload of support tickets, but I acknowledge we can be clearer here.

For insights into what OSes support older products, refer to this page.

Thanks!

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,309 Expert
    edited February 21
    Options

Strange reasoning…as you can see, users will in any case have questions (instead of “why it’s not working’ they will be “why it’s not showing”)

And, worst than this, if NA2 doesn’t show it because it’s not compatible with the OS, why installing it from NA1 allows the user to use it on exactly the same OS???

If it is working, it means it is compatible (even if maybe not 100%)…therefore NA2 is just hiding a product the user CAN use.

Or I misinterpreted @Gerry Carson? Have you got Reaktor working in Ableton after installing it from NA1 on the same OS?

• Gerry Carson
    Options

Yes now working in Ableton and stand alone. I just have to open NA1 each time or else it goes into demo mode again.

I have also got it to work in Maschine. I found in preferences where you can select which AUs to display and Reaktor 5 was not ticked. So now working everywhere.

• LostInFoundation
    Options

@Hayo_NI So…how does it come that NA2 hide it for incompatibility?

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,800 Expert
    Options

I guess, it does not have to be incompatible, just not supported. That means NI does not test it on that OS version and does not support users, if they use it. (It was the case of plugins that were not supported on Win7, but they worked just fine on Win7....)

I am not on Mac, but it seems to me that developers support only several last few (three?) OS versions. It is understandable. Apple does not care to maintain backward compatibility, so it costs a lot to test too many versions.... And to provide user support for too many OS versions.....

If one wants/needs support for decades it is better to focus on Win. But it has other disadvantages... x86 HW is so diverse, so it is possible to test just tiny fraction of HW configurations. So, things may work on particular HW, or not...

I do not want to open Mac x Win flame. It is just sidenote....

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,391 mod
    Options

This is very correct.

Also if you search the forum and do some simple maths, anyone can see that over 80% of the problems are Mac related! So, if anyone is to be blamed mostly, this is definitely Apple.

• LostInFoundation
    edited February 23
    Options

One thing is not supporting a product. Hiding it in the only program you can use now to install it and authorize it is on a whole different level.

This doesn’t correspond to telling you “hey…if it’s not working perfectly we won’t do anything about it”. This is just impeding you to use what you paid for.

You say “NI does not suppor users, if they use it”. Which could eventually be ok. But how can they even use it if NI deliberately block them from installing it?

We can blame Apple if the program isn’t working well. But they aren’t the ones hiding the products users paid for…

• Kubrak
    Options

User may use it on systems that are supported. IMHO it is fair if NI hides it, because people would contact NI if they had problems and then would be angry that NI refuses the support.

But you may be right in that, that NI maybe goes too far in that direction.. If older versions of plugin/library did support given OS, NA2 should allow to download and authorise the last supported version. I do not know if it works so, ot not. Being on Win, one does not have such problems often.

I guess that NI has learned that and so deliberately blocked the download and authorisation. In past it was possible....

Generally things are getting worst and worst from point of view of user. Service Center allowed user to set it so that installation files were not removed and so could be used later on, if needed. And also SC provided means for offline authorisation for computers that are not online.

NA1 lost that two very usefull features. But still it could authorise SW that is not supported by given OS release. But one had to install it manually beforehand.

NA2 has lost even that "feature"....

• LostInFoundation
    Options

It would be fair…if they give you any other way to install and authorize it.

Soon NA1 will disappear…and then? What if you want to install the programs you paid for and you are still happy with? (Not everyone is at the spasmodic research for the newest versions…specially if they add so little to the table… some gutìys are happy to play with what they already bought)

• Kubrak
    Options

So far there is the way. And on Win it is not problem even in NA2. Maybe for Win7 (15 years since release), but then one may use NA1.

I agree that it should be possible to download and authorise NI SW for OS versions it was certified for by NI. But for other OS versions it is questionable. It would be nice, but I guess there is no legal right for such a thing. if SW is not intended for given OS version, no need to download and authorise. NI may argue that by doing this protects users from problems and loss. NI also may argue that it would violate copyright and so on...

I am not defending NI, IMHO what they did with very old plugins is just very wrong, no question. But on the other side one may not expect and require that NI supports even not supported OS versions.

If one requires long term support Win is easier way.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,391 mod
    edited February 25
    Options

The truth is that, at some point, old plugins can be totally incompatible with newer systems (thus useless), or even dangerous (rarely) if not comply with up-to-date security standards, or simply, buggy.

I was truly "in love" with the Pro-52 or the old Albino (as LinPlug instrument) and few more, but from the moment they become really old or incompatible or removed by manufacturers or simply too small for my newer screen, i removed them immediately and replaced them with others. I even re-worked lot of my old projects.... and to tell you the truth, they all become better!

"Old school" is great when it has to do with music or clothing, books etc. or ways of living your life but, when it comes to technology, it is 100% a no-no-no!

And one more important fact:

When you buy a refrigerator, an oven, a washing machine, a car or whatever else, every manufacturer gives you a 2 to 5 years guarantee. Never more (or extremely rarely). You can still use your car for 20 years, if you can, but can not expect or demand anything from the manufacturer, after one point. So, why a music developer should give you a "life time" guarantee? As all beings, also all things have a life period and then they die. It is simply natural, it is the way of things.