Kontakt 7 Free player: how to reassign instrument keyswitches?

Options
alan9990
alan9990 Member Posts: 9 Newcomer

Hi all,

New here, but have been loving NI instruments for some while now.

I just purchased and installed the Session Horns Pro pack, and am currently working out how to use expressions.

I'm working with midi files. Have my instrument chosen and set up (Baritone Sax in this case).

I'm not using any NI controllers at this point, I'm currently integrating into my DAW (Bitwig, which fully supports NI), and my controller which is an older Novation Impulse 61.

I've transposed the midi score into the range for this instrument i.e. C1 - G3 and it plays correctly. But my issue now is that all of the cc mappings that are preset are from C1 - G#1. These are of course the same range for the Baritone sax itself.

If I manually select one of the keyswitches (by clicking on it) it then applies this expression modelling throughout the piece. I cannot use the keys on my controller to manually adjust (e.g. record live over the existing by use of cc keys) because they obviously just produce a note on the instrument.

I thought a solution would be to remap all the keyswitches to e.g. C4 - G#4, allowing me to now change expressions via my controller because the cc range is outside that of the instrument's notes.

Maybe I'm approaching this wrong? Or I'm missing an obvious setting or option somewhere?

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? Many thanks.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• alan9990
    Answer ✓
    Options

Wow! Over a month since I asked, only now been able to even get back into the forum!!!

So, thank you for your replies. I would have obviously replied much sooner, but this website wasn't working for me (this despite the fact that I'd obviously logged in to post the question initially).

I found my answer, which didn't require a script. It was as simple as shifting the pitch in the Kontakt player, which moved the overlapped mappings up an octave, and meant that the instrument now works exactly as designed!

Answers

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,934 Guru
    Options

Try to experiment with the in-DAW automation.

It is perfect for effects, expression and perhaps it can help you with notes as well, but mostly with effects.

Let me know if it helped, good sir.

• stephen24
    stephen24 Member Posts: 282 Pro
    Options

Have a look at this. Let us know if you need any help.

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/comment/119546#Comment_119546

• alan9990
    Answer ✓
    Options

Wow! Over a month since I asked, only now been able to even get back into the forum!!!

So, thank you for your replies. I would have obviously replied much sooner, but this website wasn't working for me (this despite the fact that I'd obviously logged in to post the question initially).

I found my answer, which didn't require a script. It was as simple as shifting the pitch in the Kontakt player, which moved the overlapped mappings up an octave, and meant that the instrument now works exactly as designed!