Using Komplete Kontrol causing my DAW (Reaper) to freeze every 5 minutes

Options
2»

Answers

• Erwinew
    Erwinew Member Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 19
    Options

@karsai Thanks for your suggestion. Now I found the "Run as" option as you suggested (before loading the plugin).

Unfortunately, the "Run as dedicated process" makes it even worse: The window opens in a few pixels as you can see in the screenshot below:

When closing/reopening the Komplete Kontrol window, the window state returns to the same small window as in the screenshot. None of the "Run as" options is an improvement.

I did not test the new KONTAKT 7 Player to give any comments. I'll keep your browser suggestions in mind.

@rdalcroft Thanks for your suggestion. This thread is related to the original post, but I'm the firstone who posted a fully reproducible testcase. Unfortunately, nobody answered the questions from @Jeremy_NI yet, so I can imagine there was no follow-up.

But are you running MSI Afterburner and RTSS (Riva Tuner) for monitoring Temps, ect..

I don't have this installed.

• Erwinew
    Options

@Jeremy_NI Please find a fully reproducible testcase below with the information you requested earlier:

I've upgraded REAPER 6.8.1 to 7.11 and purchased a license a couple of days ago. Now I discovered that Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol 3.2.0 VST3 freezes the REAPER GUI in a matter of seconds/minutes. See screen capture below.

Easy to reproduce:

1. Create a new project + new track and load FX Komplete Kontrol 3.2.0
    2. Load Analog Dreams and select preset "1984"
    3. Move a few buttons in Analog Dreams
    4. Select the track volume knob to switch Komplete Kontrol window focus to REAPER
    5. REAPER GUI completely frozen -> "Close the program" like "End Task REAPER"

Project is not saved and lost!

Note: "Analog Dreams" always freezes REAPER and is 100% reproducible. Other effects like some piano's may or may not reproduce this problem.

Most of the times after loosing focus of the Komplete Kontrol window and switching back to REAPER:

• Windows 10 Professional, latest 22h2 updates installed
    • REAPER 6.8.1 -> Not reproducible with clean portable edition
    • REAPER 7.11 -> Fully reproducible with clean portable edition
    • Native Instruments Hardware Connection Service: 1.5.5
    • Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol 3.2.0 VST3 in REAPER: Problem
    • Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol 3.2.0 native host application: Not reproducible
    • Native Instruments Kontakt 7.8.1 Player: Not reproducible
    • Native Instruments Kontakt 6.8.0 Full: Installed, but not tested
    • Reproducible without a USB/MIDI keyboard connected to the PC
    • Not reproducible with other DAW's, so this seems to be a major issue in REAPER 7.

Komplete Kontrol 3.2.0 release notes:

Cubase Flicker And Crash When Focusing On Another App and Back Again

Maybe this issue is also applicable for REAPER.

Already reported by multiple users in November 2023 on different forums, like:

before loading Komplete Kontrol as a track FX, if you set "run as" either a dedicated process or separate process, Komplete Kontrol / Kontakt 7 instruments seem stable.

None of the "Run as" options work in REAPER 7.

• karsai
    karsai Member Posts: 50 Member
    edited March 19
    Options

hi

Run as dedicated process in reaper 7: That small pic is normal, it indicates the process is on, but it should come up a textbox saying click here to see the GUI and when you click it, the instrument will open in a separate window. SOmetimes it is not open but it is on the bottom of the screen in the taskbar closed, so you have to click it to open it

Sometimes it is open behind the reaper window so you cannot see it until you go there.

If none of these apply I have no more ideas. I wish you luck, maybe the NI people can have some ideas.

Istvan

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,957 mod
    Options

@Erwinew Thanks for the detailed repro. It turns out the bug was already reported and filed under this reference: KBDSW-7859. It's been forwarded to the developers.

• Erwinew
    Options

@Jeremy_NI Thank you very much for your reply. I look forward to a fixed version.

• Erwinew
    Options

Not fixed in updated Komplete Kontrol 3.2.1. Still waiting for a fix.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,957 mod
    Options

Bug still under investigation.

• blitze
    blitze Member Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Just adding my 2 cents.

Have Massive X, Diva, Hive and Zebra freezing Reaper when run through Komplete Kontrol. For Massive X it seems to be a 5 minute time out thing but for the U-he VSTi's is can be tweaking the synths via their interface or doing a scaling change of their UI. Notes still play but Reaper freezes and requires termination. KK can be run as a seperate process or dedicated process but automatic or native process is a no go.

All VSTi's are fine as stand alone plugins in Reaper outside of Komplete Kontrol. Using x64 VST3 plugins version. Windows 11 Pro with Reaper x64 v7.14

• Erwinew
    Options

KK can be run as a separate process or dedicated process but automatic or native process is a no go.

Correct: Major issues when running KK as `Separate process`:

1. The KK window size is lost after opening/closing the KK window.
    2. Real time response of all VU meters decreases dramatically.
    3. Increases CPU and graphics load.

All VSTi's are fine as stand alone plugins in Reaper outside of Komplete Kontrol. Using x64 VST3 plugins version. Windows 11 Pro with Reaper x64 v7.14

Correct: The issue is confirmed and located in KK and not REAPER or VST3 plugins. Only Native Instruments can fix this.

• Erwinew
    Options