Using Komplete Kontrol causing my DAW (Reaper) to freeze every 5 minutes

Options
shannonsmith
shannonsmith Member Posts: 29 Member

Hi folks,

I know there are several posts about Reaper freezing or crashing but none seemed to apply to my situation.

I use Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol keyboard and VSTs with Reaper- Reaper keeps freezing/crashing every 5 minutes and I have to open task manager to stop it and then restart- I can't work like that obviously.

My computer is a brand new and very powerful:

Dell XPS 8960 which has-

Intel 13th Generation Core i9-13900K Processor with Turbo Boost to 5.80GHz (fastest processor yet made)

64GB RAM

Windows 11

Seperate 4TB SSD which holds the reaper library as to not take from C drive. 

I'm using 48000 reaper and the VOLT 2 interface. I've tried buffer 512 and 256 but still issues. Any ideas on why this would happen, what to look and and how to resolve please? 

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

@shannonsmith @karsai We've got this thanks to one of our users, can you try this out?

Komplete Kontrol – as per all my plugins are set to “run as” = “automatic” – default setting in Reaper. However, before loading Komplete Kontrol as a track FX, if you set "run as" either a dedicated process or separate process, Komplete Kontrol / Kontakt 7 instruments seem stable.  

You can find more information about these modes and how they work in the following sources:

Project Recovery1

Separate versus dedicated process2,

Dedicated process,

Separate process,

or buggy mode?3.

This will help you understand the implications of running an FX as either a separate process or a dedicated process in Reaper DAW.

Answers

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,933 Guru
    Options

Shannon, did you try to use Kontakt or Reaktor?

If your Komplete Kontrol constantly crashes, you can try to use Kontakt for Kontakt Inastruments or Reaktor for its instruments,since Komplete can play all of them.

I stopped using Kontrol because of these bugs, I had similar issues with my DAW (Cakewalk), so I switched to Kontakt and Reaktor.

Hope it helps.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

Have you tried Komplete Kontrol in standalone? Does it work as expected? Are you using an antivirus?

What instruments are you loading in Komplete Kontrol?

Does it happen if you open the same instrument with Kontakt?

What version of Reaper are you using? What version of Komplete Kontrol?

• karsai
    karsai Member Posts: 50 Member
    Options

I have similar problem. KK crash reaper after few seconds

reaper 7.07 newest version of KK Anyone please help? This thread look dead

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,603 Expert
    Options

If you are using the latest V3 of Komplete Kontrol and you do not have an MK3 S series keyboard (if you have an MK2 S series, A series or M series) then try revert back to v2 of Komplete Kontrol. Likely that will run fine.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@karsai What happens exactly? Can you give a step by step description until the crash? Does Kontakt in standalone crash as well? What is your operating system? Does it happen with every library? Have you carried out these steps already? Kontakt Crashes

• karsai
    Options

Hi

I did not try with Kontakt, but KK did it all the time as the original poster describes. OS win 10. Other instruments (I checked) did not do this. KK did this even before choosing an instrument. In few seconds it just hung up freezes and stay that way. This did not happened in Cakewalk and also KK standalone works fine. I checked and this issue is not what the Kontact crashes are listing. It seems running KK as separate processes in Reaper helps somewhat. I have m32 keyboard so that is not a problem. I also donot know how to revert the old version of KK. Thanks!

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓
    Options

@shannonsmith @karsai We've got this thanks to one of our users, can you try this out?

Komplete Kontrol – as per all my plugins are set to “run as” = “automatic” – default setting in Reaper. However, before loading Komplete Kontrol as a track FX, if you set "run as" either a dedicated process or separate process, Komplete Kontrol / Kontakt 7 instruments seem stable.  

You can find more information about these modes and how they work in the following sources:

Project Recovery1

Separate versus dedicated process2,

Dedicated process,

Separate process,

or buggy mode?3.

This will help you understand the implications of running an FX as either a separate process or a dedicated process in Reaper DAW.

• karsai
    Options

Jeremy and others,

Thanks for the info. The links are very useful to understand what is going on. I tried the "run as dedicated process" with Komplete Kontrol and this helped and the Reaper did not freeze. I hope this will work also for larger projects. Thanks again! IStvan

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@karsai Thanks for the update, glad that it improved the situation.

• shannonsmith
    Options

Thank you so much Jeremy_NI. Sorry I've been away.

I'm missing some basic part here. I don't understand how to do what you are describing "before loading Komplete Kontrol as a track FX, if you set it to 'run' or 'dedicated'? Where do I do that at?

• shannonsmith
    Options

Never mind- I found the answer in the link you sent! Thank you. I will try this!

• shannonsmith
    Options

Thank you again, Jeremy as your solution, so far is working. I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Also thanks to everyone else also!

• Erwinew
    Erwinew Member Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 17
    Options

@Jeremy_NI I also encountered this major problem after upgrading from REAPER 6 to REAPER 7. I've created a fully reproducible testcase on REAPER forum:

The FX "Run as" option is not available in REAPER 7, so I'm stuck. Can you try to reproduce it according to the latest versions and help me further?

Note: I've still 25 days before I need to decide to send the S88 Mk3 back to the music store or not. The out-of-the box experience was far from smooth and will use the customer support directly to report all issues...

• karsai
    Options

Dear Erwinew.

I had the same problem before, but run as dedicated process is working for me. You have to right click komplete kontrol before you load it and then choose that option. See above a screenshot in this thread. I do not have mk3 and have 32 GB memory, so our systems are different, but for me this saves Reaper crash.

One more thing. many player instrument (deft lines, cloud supply) seems crash reaper if you choose a preset from the preset browser. This might be a KONTAKT issue, I reported this, but no solution for that emerged I know of. A workaround that worked for me is: do not use the browser. Load the instrument first and browse preset there directly within the instrument. In this case I did not observed crash

Best

Istvan

• rdalcroft
    rdalcroft Member Posts: 174 Helper
    Options

This may not apply to you?

But are you running MSI Afterburner and RTSS (Riva Tuner) for monitoring Temps, ect..

If so, either close afterburner, or add profiles for all of your DAWs, VST, Kontakt, and Komplete Kontrol, in Riva tuner, and set: "Application Detection Level" to None. for these profiles.

I did not think this would apply to reaper, as I never had crashes in reaper, but i did in Abelton and Cubase 13, for both Kontakt 7 and Komplete Kontrol.