Kontrol S-Series MK3 - Feeling like a beta tester. :(

Options

Comments

• dysamoria
    dysamoria Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I came here to see what’s being experienced by people buying this thing… because I learned from the MIDI Org that it has MIDI 2.0 support… but I was wary of ever buying another piece of hardware from NI, after the Kore debacle and Guitar Rig controller abandonment…

…and here it is: more evidence that NI is repeating the same mistakes, including rushing things to market and apparently abandoning Mashine, which was their seemingly second attempt at Kore-style integration, and this Komplete Kontrol thing is their third... 🤦🏾‍♂️

At this point, I don’t trust any hardware that requires drivers and software support. I’ll keep waiting for MIDI 2.0 support in generic controllers and ignore this latest Kore-like mess.

I’d jump at the new Korg controller with MIDI 2.0, but I don’t like the lack of high resolution encoders (values jumping due to potentiometers is dumb), and Logic apparently doesn’t yet have MIDI-CI Property Exchange.

So I continue waiting for somebody to get this right. At least MIDI 2.0 is no longer just a decades-long myth, I guess 🤷🏾‍♂️

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,864 mod
    Options

They haven't abandoned Maschine, don't worry about that

• solsta
    solsta Member Posts: 108 Helper
    Options

I stuck with my mk2 specifically because I heard from testers and some nI staff in this forum that machine support won't be a priority and will be an "unlikely" update from what I understood so as long asa the mk2 is supported, I'm perfectly happy to have that continue to control machine for me instead of getting the newer keyboard that has significantly less functionality with maschine, so when my studio and jam are all connected up, I'd have a whole keyboard that works, sometimes, and can only control Komplete Kontrol. MK2 Keyboard can control the whole of machine software, it is honestly the best thing ever. If they added an update to work with ams chine then it would have way more functionality for me. At the moment it would like swapping my high horsepower 4x4 for an all wheel drive sportswear, sure its cool and new and sleek, but it's purpose built and so on a day to day, I'll constantly be thinking of the car that could do more things because the new product involves quality for life compromises for my workflow specifically, I cant speak for everyone else but im sure that machine users would feel less inclination to get it as it doesn't control their software of choice.

• Jezric
    Jezric Member Posts: 49 Helper
    Options

No, I don't think they have abandoned Maschine. I guess my whole point in posting these is to make it clear that NI not having a published plan for support (i.e. an official roadmap), it leaves us all to speculate and not in a good way... So... Uh.. NI... What's the plan?

At this point I have almost completely moved over to Ableton and APC64 controllers in place of multiple Maschine Mk3s and an M+. I don't like the Ableton workflow as much as Maschine, but it works well with the Kontrol Mk3 as long as you're running Kontakt or KK as plugin hosts in your tracks, as it doesn't work at all with the Ableton plugins/devices/etc. but that's where the APC controllers come in) Plus, Live is a full DAW as well, unlike Maschine, which is minimal. However, I do love Maschine's whole song mode workflow with clips over sections, which is a truly unique concept that works really well for "non-destructive" song arranging.

Anyway... Hopefully we'll see some updates from NI. I hope they are keeping up on these threads and do something about the way they communicate their plans.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,305 Guru
    Options

Pure speculation on my part...

But possibly there is a relationship between the upcoming Play Assist on-device addition to S-Mk3 and something foundational to a big re-think of the Maschine environment ... can't reveal one without introducing the other.

Again.. my pure speculation.

But the Play Assist on-device addition to S-Mk3 should be happening soon.. this year or very early in 2024.

• Jezric
    Options

I would love to see that and integration into Controller Editor (so we could create multiple MIDI templates to use in standalone).

Hoping we see something significant with Maschine as I do really love that workflow, the lack of a communicated plan on NI's part is so disappointing.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 921 mod
    Options

It should therefore be updated to the latest firmware (1.5)

• LTEX
    LTEX Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Hi, interesting read here! Thanks for all the insights!

I have a home studio in my mancave with a Roland Fantom 8 hooked up to a native rig with Logic Pro DAW. Awesome! Looking to create a studio setup in my office upstairs to edit and finetune my creations made along the fireplace ;-).

Looking into all the options and being a big fan of smart and well designed controllers, I found NI to be a good provider.

So now I came to the conclusion a Kontrol-S MK3 alongside a Maschine Mk3 would be the way to go. Matter of fact, I have them both sitting in a shopping basket on NI site as we speak.

Big question is, should I? Or is it too big a gamble to expect these incompatibility issues will get resolved in due time?

• Matthew_NI
    Options

There are no plans at present to re-implement the deeper integration Kontrol MK2 had with Maschine.

• Jezric
    Options

Eek... that's the first I've heard that said so outright by an NI rep. So, that means that you will never be able to use the new Kontrol S-Series Mk3 controllers to integrate with anything but Kontakt 7 in Maschine.

That is very disappointing.

• Jezric
    Options

No, I would not buy the Kontrol S Mk3 and plan on using it with Maschine, as Matthew said, there are no plans to support it in Maschine. Seems like a nail in the Maschine coffin to me. :(

@Matthew_NI , please correct me if I'm not interpreting that right.

• Jezric
    Options

If you're planning on using Maschine mk3 (i.e. Maschine2* software), then either get a Komplete Kontrol Mk2 controller or just use any other MIDI controller with it.... Or for that matter, don't invest in Maschine at all as it seems that NI will not be future proofing it (i.e. updating it to work with the new Mk3 controllers, which tells me it will eventually be phased out). So... Get onboard with Ableton Live or some other DAW that the Kontrol mk3 supports.

Ugh... I am so very disappointed in this whole direction NI seems to be going... vague roadmap (if any at all) and seemingly leaving behind all of us who so heavily invested in Maschine over the years.

• Matthew_NI
    Options

The fact that not many people were using the integration of the two products, and thus it was not worth the return on investment for the new MK3 keyboard, is one thing.

The future of Maschine is quite another thing, and I would encourage people looking at the former as an indictment of the latter to... hold that thought. We've just made one big tech transition with the MK3 keyboard generation. It's not a stretch to imagine more might be coming over the next few years. And no, I can't give more specifics :-)

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    Options

Judging by the initial reaction to the MK3 and a lack of pads, users would like a new version of the Machine hardware with a built in 61 key keyboard :)

-- Mike

• Vic Angelo
    Vic Angelo Member Posts: 111 Advisor
    Options

"The fact that not many people were using the integration of the two products,"

idk man... The amount of backlash makes it seem very much otherwise. I hope you guys reverse that decision. Literally abandoning your own software like that is super fishy. I Also, think you guys underestimate the amount of people that disable the "Software Tracking" that would give NI those analytics. Seems like the kind of decisions "suits" make, not devs.