Is keybed of the S88 Mk3 the same than the Mk2 ?

Options

Answers

• marzzz
    marzzz Member Posts: 6 Newcomer
    edited February 4
    Options

I just received the new S88 MK3, and can confirm the keybed is very quiet. The overall feel is quite firm, a little bit more than my acoustic piano but still very playable (and much more realistic than the Kurzweil MIDIBoard which it replaced, which played very light). I am using the Soft 2 Velocity Curve, and adjusted the Velocity Curve in Pianoteq. One recent youtube unboxing video complained that the key travel was less than an acoustic piano, I measured it against my piano and it was pretty much identical, literally splitting hairs. Polyphonic aftertouch is very nice (my personal most important feature), if I had any request I would want some kind of Light-Medium-Hard sensitivity adjustment; I tend toward hard to really "dig in." Responds well to the Vangelis "side to side" technique.

One small request: I wish it would support the half-damper functionality of the Korg DS-1H sustain pedal, I have several and would like to not have to replace them to do those techniques.

• Vic Angelo
    Vic Angelo Member Posts: 115 Advisor
    Options

Semantics aside.... The REAL question whether or not the keybed will get noisy and wear out like the previous (as stated by past comments). That's literally the real questions these people are asking and care about, they just havent articulated it that way. What's the answer?

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,844 Expert
    Options

One has to wait few years to get the answer....

• rdalcroft
    rdalcroft Member Posts: 181 Helper
    Options

Exactly,

It took the S88 Mk2. 1 year to to start to get noisy. 2 years to become unbearable.

But if you have technical ability, and don't mind opening it up. A regrease of each Key and post, will make it like new.

The Yamaha blue grease, lasts way longer than whatever grease Fatar uses.

The other issue is the Foam dampener strip. That also loses its firmness at around the 2-year mark. Causing a louder thud when the hammers return to rest.

Native instruments and Fatar refuse to supply this as an aftermarket part. Can't source it anywhere. I have looked everywhere, asked everywhere, with no replies.

One thing I will say is. The first time I reported to Native Instruments (after 1 year), they very quickly sorted me out with a return. I got a replacement with in 2 weeks. So, if it does happen with in the first year, (or 2 for the UK). They will accept it as a repair. You will receive a re-conditioned unit. Not the same one as you send back though.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,319 Expert
    Options

Why not just simply answering what additional changes have been done and naming those years worth of improvements?

• rdalcroft
    Options

It's a big secret. Because, really, there were none.

Why fix something that sold pretty well.

US get 1 years of warranty

UK gets 2 years.

So, they hold their breath, maybe a few will call support for a replacement, but, for most, it won't start to annoy them until their warranty period is over.

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,179 Expert
    edited February 5
    Options

Ever heard of the term "company secret"/"trade secret"?

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,319 Expert
    edited February 5
    Options

Usually, when a product is already released, companies tend to smack in our faces every single minute of work and novelty they put to improve things. Not to keep it a secret.

At least if they are proud of it. And surely if it is better of what competitors are offering

• jaysunice
    jaysunice Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    Options

Sharing my experience: less than 1 hour in on my S88 MK3, I have a noisy and rattling F2 key. It’s also slightly dysfunctional — difficult to press towards the top of the key. It’s unfortunate because I wanted this to be my main board. Still waiting for somebody to get the 88-key controller “right”. Hanging onto my Roland A-88 mk2 for now.

I wish NI sold just the knobs and screen. The interface and integration appears to be done “right” and the knobs are quality.

I’ll be picking up an S61 Mk3 instead.

• rdalcroft
    edited March 15
    Options

Sounds like the key has come out of its holder, or it was not properly inserted all the way, by whoever built it. If you put your thumb at the front end of the key (closest to your chest) and push it towards the back of the keybed, until it clicks. That means it should be locked into the clips that hold it in place.

If this is this issue, an easy fix.

But if not, contact support, they will sort out a return asap. But as this is a NEW keybed, Demand a new replacement, NOT a refurbished one.. Or thats what they will end up sending you.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 10,414 mod
    Options

@jaysunice If your keyboard is defective, please get in touch with our hardware service: https://bit.ly/NI_support_Hardware

• Caron Martin
    Caron Martin Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

I had the chance to try the Komple S88 MK3 yesterday and I can tell the Keybed has been improved quite a bit.

Considering my previous concerns, it feels solid and quiet. No more clunky noise. I would buy it with confidence and probably will.

• muddyblue
    muddyblue Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

If I may also add my two cents. I had some problems and 3 different S88MK2 and they were also in repair because of the rattling keybed. Finally I switched to the Roland A88MK2 and it worked.

When the S88MK3 came out, I bought it from the local dealer and after a month I brought it back, reason: The worse keybed. N.I. you should build an 88's with the keybed from the 61 instead. I've already suggested this with other ideas in writing to the managing director but, as always, I haven't received an answer.

The S88MK3 is just as badly designed as the MK2. End of story.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 972 mod
    Options

It seems like you had a very specific experience - this is not what most users experience. Sorry to hear about the frustration. The S88MK3 keybed is much improved over the MK2, and is also entirely different to the S61. 88 is hammer weighted, 61 is not.

• muddyblue
    muddyblue Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Yes, of course the Fatar TP-100 LR is a weighted keyboard. But that's exactly the problem with the whole thing. The case is a joke in itself. If you lift a corner slightly, it will have an impact on the deed. So unstable, it won't work for long. Then the strip of poor quality foam that settles quickly and makes the annoying noises. This is a clunker. The only new difference in my opinion is the aftertouch strip, but that takes some getting used to in terms of handling. I don't want to go into it in more detail now, but I've experienced enough.

In my opinion, there is a weighted hammer keyboard from Kawai or Roland. That's why it's better with this type of construction to take an 88 with the keyboard from the 49/61, a few more pads on it and everyone would be happy and there would be no more rattling ;-)