Is keybed of the S88 Mk3 the same than the Mk2 ?

Options
grolux
grolux Member Posts: 2 Member

After 2 years using the S88 Mk2, certain keys are « cliking » (kind of rattle).

So. Is the keybed of the S88 Mk3 the same than the Mk2 ?

Best Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 10,314 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Answer from the AMA:

The S88 MK3 uses the TP100 + Polyphonic Aftertouch, this is unique in the FATAR line up, and is the first widely available hammer action keyboard controller on the market. This feature, for all 3 key sizes, was a collaboration between NI and FATAR.

• verschel
    verschel Member Posts: 8 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

No go for a S88 MK3, if the same keybed as MK2. It's very noise after a short time.

Mine was 9 months, send it back to Native. Tempory solution but after a few months the same problems.

Answers

• jorgefriasny
    jorgefriasny Member Posts: 12 Member
    Options

It was made by Fatar just like the MKII, I'd imagine there have to be differences in the sensors since there is Polyphonic aftertouch this time around. More than likely the same keybed, if not very similar.

• rdalcroft
    rdalcroft Member Posts: 180 Helper
    Options

Yes its the same TP100 key-bed with the Polyphonic aftertouch strip added, unfortunatly.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 10,314 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Answer from the AMA:

The S88 MK3 uses the TP100 + Polyphonic Aftertouch, this is unique in the FATAR line up, and is the first widely available hammer action keyboard controller on the market. This feature, for all 3 key sizes, was a collaboration between NI and FATAR.

• verschel
    verschel Member Posts: 8 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

No go for a S88 MK3, if the same keybed as MK2. It's very noise after a short time.

Mine was 9 months, send it back to Native. Tempory solution but after a few months the same problems.

• Caron Martin
    Caron Martin Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Same thing for me. The keybed is very noisy specially when the note kicks the frame on the way back. It becomes very annoying after time and it is certainly the reason why I am looking for another controller. If the Mk3 has the same keybed it is not worth the upgrade. Too bad!

In my case, it seems that the problem is not the keybed but the felt strip under the frame where the note hits on the way back that seems too cheap. In that case, the problem doesn’t come from Fatar but comes from the built quality by NI.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 959 mod
    Options

The key-beds are not the same:

It's a revised model(s) of the TP9 (S49/61) and TP100 (S88) depending on which you buy.

The revisions include the addition of Polyphonic Aftertouch, but also general improvements to the feel and sensitivity.

• rdalcroft
    edited December 2023
    Options

The foam strip under the hammers, is indeed very low quality. It is a low-density foam (large holes/bubbles) meaning it compresses much easier than a higher density foam) This reduces bounce. But the foam becomes very weak after 1 year, and needs replaced.

Native instruments and Fatar refuses to offer replacement foam strips. I have asked numerous times. I don't see how they can, considering "Right - to -Repair" I can see some law suits coming in the bear future if Native instruments do not change their policy on this.

So, to answer your question, it is in fact the same keybed, with the adjustments Mathew mentioned.

The foam strip is part of the Keybed (Fatar). And this foam strip will not have been adjusted. It will be the exact same, because Fatar and Native Instruments have designed it to only last 1-2 years. Knowing full well, due to wear, that customers will probably just think they need to buy a new keyboard.

So Please Native Instruments, Allow us users, who are out of warranty to be able to Purchase the lower foam dampening strip.

Allow us to Maintain our Key-beds properly.

• Simchris
    Simchris Member Posts: 294 Pro
    Options

Updated versions of keybeds with improvements to the new generation; but same "model names'

• rdalcroft
    Options

Exactly!

TP-100 means it's a TP-100 key-bed, no adjustments from the previous model, they have just added the "Polyphonic Aftertouch" strip in-place of the original Aftertouch strip.

If any modifications were done by Fatar, then they would have had to change the TP100 model number to reflect this.

But since they haven't, I have to assume the Polyphonic Aftertouch addition was done by Native Instruments themselves, and has nothing to do with Fatar.

So Native instruments stating that other modifications and refinements is, misleading information, and is quite fraudulent!!

Please can you give us proof of such additional changes that have been made since the MK2 version of the TP100 key-bed?

I can guarentee there will be no reply to this request.

• rdalcroft
    edited December 2023
    Options

Sorry for being so salty against you Matthew_NI. But it does come from a place of experience with the Keybed. Please excuse my distrust.

The reason being, I am sitting here with my keybed, and I have had to use a Yamaha lower felt strip, which is 1mm thicker than the original and a lot Denser, meaning I now have too much bounce in my Keys.

I can't remedy this, because there is no way I can Purchase the original Foam Dampening strip form either You (Native Instruments) or Fatar!!

I think this is Despicable, from a company, who charges so much for their products, to expect there to never be a period, that the Keybed will need maintenance.

Please remedy this, and make parts that wear down, available for purchase!!

• Simchris
    Simchris Member Posts: 294 Pro
    Options

you can get synth keyboard felt and or cushion strips from many sources, e.g.

https://syntaur.com/searchInv.php?itemName=keybed

• rdalcroft
    edited December 2023
    Options

delete this

• rdalcroft
    Options

Thanks for that, I have been there, its very hard to judge which strips will fit, as there are no dimensions. The height of the strip is very important, also how dense the foam is. I have emailed them again.

Its a very low density, foam strip, 9mm high, (no felt what so ever) and fragile as toilet paper. lol

Only Fatar or Native instruments can help here, But they refuse to do so.

• patrickbourke
    patrickbourke Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I have the prior model and the noisy keyboard concerns me if I were to look at purchasing the MKIII. Did NI or Fatar ever admit to issues with the key bed and if so do the 'years worth of improvements that have been made to these key-beds' specifically state they addressed the noise issues?

Thanks

Patrick