GUI design: adventures in Blender.

Options

Comments

• Bolle
    Bolle Member Posts: 349 Pro
    Options

Contemplating uploading the filter + LFO section of Novarius as a separate FX unit.

For example: when working on a track with Novarius that needs identical filtering on a drum track or whatever, you can load the filter & LFO unit as an insert and Bob's your uncle.

I prefer this over adding external input to Novarius.

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    Options

Filtro Magnifico

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    Options

Hm.

I built this stand-alone Filter + LFO combo (It's a copy of the Beezlebaum and Novarius filter).

For the purpose of stand-alone filtering things like drums it is not transparent enough when the filter is set completely open (Cutoff 10, Resonance 0). It's not horrible, but it's not 100% clean either. There's still a very small frequency cutoff at zero cutoff is what i'm saying.

Two (or three) things i can do:

• Fiddle with the control parameters until i get a completely transparent filter when fully 'open'. This is tricky, as it is likely to affect the entire control curve of the knob.
    • Make a bypass switch that is engaged when the controls are at zero cutoff and resonance. This might make for an audible 'switch'.
    • Ignore it and use my DAW to bypass the effect when needed. Same audible 'switch'.

Nothing too pressing. But i would like to end up with a completely transparent effect when none of the controls are engaged. Any and all ideas are welcome.

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    edited December 2023
    Options

• Bolle
    Options

Filtro Magnifico:

LP filter + LFO.

Identical to the filter section of Novarius and Beezlebaum. Built because i needed the same filter for drums, etc.... I love this filter.

Standard 24db/octave Primary filter, with my Jerry-rigged version of gain loss compensation. You can squeal the heck out of this thing, without volume loss or it going overboard.

Features:

• Cutoff and Resonance control.
    • Bypass button for easy bypass automation.
    • LFO Frequency control (Click the LFO LED to activate/deactivate Tempo Sync. In Sync mode, time signature is displayed below the Frequency knob).
    • LFO Wave select (Sine, Tri, Pulse, Random).
    • LFO Amount control.

Get it here: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/15221/

All filtering in the demo track is done using this filter.

Enjoy.

Bolle

• Studiowaves
    Studiowaves Member Posts: 456 Advisor
    Options

You may find problems with this. Mainly because you are adding values from two sources. It can get confusing when the mouse is used to turn a knob that isn't for pitch. You'll end up changing the pitch right along with it. I'd look at the list module as the mouse works both the + and - buttons plus you can click and hold on the value and move the mouse to raise or lower the value. It's a pretty nice module all in all. I wouldn't say it's looks are anything special but every value has its own name, which comes in real handy.

• Bolle
    Options

"It can get confusing when the mouse is used to turn a knob that isn't for pitch. You'll end up changing the pitch right along with it."

What do you mean?

Greets,

Bolle

• Big Gnome
    Big Gnome Member Posts: 28 Helper
    Options

I'm not sure what you're talking about--he's clearly not adding anything, he's just merging mouse area events with midi pitchbend. This structure should work seamlessly.

• Studiowaves
    Options

I forgot you had to press a mouse button while inside the area to make changes. When you release the button the mouse no longer changes anything. So you can do that. me dummy duh... But have you experiment with the list function? It can look like this. It should be obvious why I like it so much. For example the numbers seen aren't the real values. They are just labels. You can use the mouse to press the + or - to change the value or you can position the mouse over the numbers and press a mouse button and use the mouse to fast forward thru the list of number. You can also use letters and label them whatever. It really is a good module to use. I rarely use knobs anymore, this is much better.

This is the spin style. I noticed you didn't use these on anything and thought I'd point it out. Happy Holidays!

• Studiowaves
    Options

Your right, sorry, I was dead tired from mixing in the studio and forget the mouse doesn't do anything unless you press and hold a button while in the mouse area. Somehow, I thought he was using a global mouse position and knew it would be changing the pitch while he was using it to change the value of knob or something. Sorry my fault.

• Bolle
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hmmm. Looking at some West Coast synthesis builds in the UL. That's stuff is way over my head. Though with having released my Buchla GUI Kit, there is an urge to try and do something with it. Perhaps a thorough reskin of some old build. Perhaps something home made and new...

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    Options

Working on some West Coast stuff. A reskin for personal use.

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    edited December 2023
    Options

This is a reskin of Rick Howell's "Gradient F".

Before:

After:

It'll be a lot of work to render and composite. But it looks alright. Still a few bits and bobs to add.

Greets,

Bolle

• Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 430 Pro
    Options

Would be awesome if you added the spring reverb while you're at it...;) Looking awesome!

• Bolle
    edited December 2023
    Options

Nice idea! Do you have a particular reverb build in mind? If it is really basic, i might be able to incorporate it in the GUI.

Also: i contacted Rick Howell via the forum, but it looks like he's inactive here. So i might not be able to get his permission to upload it. Or get him to upload it to his U/L account.

Greets,

Bolle