Poll: Should Kontakt offer an option to disable the 'Do you want to save...?' dialog box?

Options
BroHah@
BroHah@ Member Posts: 13 Member
edited June 2023 in Kontakt

Poll: Should Kontakt offer an option to disable this dialog box?

I'm sure the dialog box is useful for many Kontakt users, especially for those that spend a lot of time and effort 'getting beneath the hood' of Kontakt.

On the other hand, I suppose there are many devoted, loyal Kontakt users that find it frustrating, especially when it occurs repeatedly while merely closing or replacing instruments that have not had any changes applied.

Personally, I have never found it helpful. Having to continually close it while searching for the perfect Kontakt instrument makes for a frustrating workflow. It discourages my compositional experimentation. Slows me down; adds aggravation to my otherwise blissful compositional experience.

Lack of an option to disable the dialog box feels like putting training wheels on a Ducati. Might those training wheels help an inexperienced user avoid an accident? Perhaps. Does a skilled rider with an unmodified bike have any use for training wheels?

Didn't think so.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,363 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Ok, seriously now, the option exists but it is hidden. Here is your solution:

Go to registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments\Kontakt 6 or 7 (what you have)

Find the REG_DWORLD value named as "askWhenReplacingModifiedInstruments".

Double click it and change the value from 1 to 0.

Done ;-)

Answers

• Sunborn
    edited June 2023
    Options

Poll for such thing? LOL... Ok why not?

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,773 mod
    Options

I'm with the yes vote on this, I find it annoying

• Sunborn
    Answer ✓
    Options

Ok, seriously now, the option exists but it is hidden. Here is your solution:

Go to registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments\Kontakt 6 or 7 (what you have)

Find the REG_DWORLD value named as "askWhenReplacingModifiedInstruments".

Double click it and change the value from 1 to 0.

Done ;-)

• Kymeia
    Options

Cool - maybe it's in a plist somewhere on Mac?

• Kymeia
    edited June 2023
    Options

Found it - it's in com.native-instruments.Kontakt 7.plist in /Users/username/Library/Preferences

<key>askWhenReplacingModifiedInstruments</key>

<integer>1</integer>

- change to 0

• Sunborn
    Options

I have no idea about Mac Kymeia, all i know is that you don't have a registry.

But maybe something similar, some place to store information?

• Kymeia
    Options

hmm that didn't work though - maybe I should reboot?

• Kymeia
    Options

Ah no it does work - the key is to take it literally - it only applies when replacing an instrument, not when closing the instrument or Kontakt itself

• Kymeia
    Options
  • Sunborn
    Options

On a closer look, it refers to a modified instrument, means when you drag another preset on the older one. But if you just close the instrument, no it doesn't work

• Kymeia
    edited June 2023
    Options

What annoys me more is the way the dialogue switches from - a 'No' response if you close an instrument and don't want to save, to a 'Yes' response when you close Kontakt and don't want to save, many times I have automatically clicked the wrong one because of this.

• Sunborn
    Options
  • BroHah@
    edited June 2023
    Options

@Sunborn Really appreciate that! Even though your suggestion doesn't cover every permutation, (as others have pointed out), it definitely helps reduce the annoyance... by more than 95%, in my situation. Suddenly, I'm enjoying Kontakt far more than ever before.

I created a 'poll' since this issue doesn't seem to be on NI's radar. Even had some exchanges on a different thread with someone from NI that seemed fine with the way things are. I can understand wanting to protect users from losing a ton of 'under the hood' effort, but a 'nag' is still a nag. I love digging through my collection of Kontakt instruments... Hearing is believing, if I may twist a phrase. 'Use your ears' is such sage advice to musicians. That's a lot harder to do, when one's eyes, arms, wrists, and hands are being forced to do menial labor.

Anyhow, the more of us that chime in about this, the closer we might be getting to a satisfactory method of keeping some of us musicians and experimenters happy(er).

Thanks again, Sunborn!

• BroHah@
    Options

I'm on Windows... made the registry change to the Dword value for askWhenReplacingModifiedInstruments for Kontakt 7.

I've also got Kontakt 6 installed. I searched for "askWhenReplacingModifiedInstruments" but didn't find it anywhere else in my registry, aside from Battery.

Any idea how I would make a similar change for Kontakt 6?

Thanks.

• Sunborn
    Options

Just copy the key from Kontakt 7 registry folder and paste it to the Kontakt 6 folder. It should work! If not, no harm can be done anyway :-)