Full live sets on the M+?

Options

Comments

• DubTek
    DubTek Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Haha thanks for this. Appreciate your answer, when you've got the rug rats on your case-I feel your pain.

There's lots of terms that make no sense to me, however the idea of one group per track is a useful. I've worked this way with the mpc live mk2 with building a set so the paradigm works for me.

Interested in perform fx and aux fx- wasn't aware of these in the M+ so will need to take a look at these in due course.

When I've tried Polysynth, I've not seen too much in the way of sound design however (I appreciate this isn't really a machine that allows for too much of this anyway) - maybe I'm missing something though.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,311 Expert
    Options

Have you watched the video @olafmol posted? Maybe one track per group isn’t the best solution. One track per bank as Loopop suggest seems really better

• DubTek
    Options

Nope. I actually watched it sometime ago- it's not a tutorial, it's loopop talking about how he went about a live set, thoughts, pros cons etc- it's not helpful in the context of this discussion and me being very new to the device. It's more helpful to those that are there, but I'm currently on day four of owning an m+ 😎

• LostInFoundation
    Options

It answers exactly your question: how to play full sets using one single project to avoid loading times

• DubTek
    Options

Not really. Like I say, I've seen it before. Also, just posting a link to a video isn't helpful. Context is important no? Forums are for discussion. Just posting a link to a video isn't forwarding the conversation that's happening here. It's making me leave the conversation, with no information on where I'm going and what I'm going to watch, to then sit through a video to find a section that's relevant to a conversation I'm having in another website. It's counter productive mate.

If I'm posting a link to a video, I'm giving a reason as to why I've done so, suggesting the section (s) that are relevant, and giving a bit of a clue as to why I've done that. You may as well just post google.com and be done.

Forums are designed for conversations. YouTube is designed to be passive.

• LostInFoundation
    edited June 2023
    Options

It wasn’t me who posted the link.

And I don’t think he posted the link to hurt you. He thought it could be interesting for you

In any case, I watched it and found it was really relevant to what you asked

But if you felt so disturbed by it, ok…no problem

• Cretin Dilettante
    Cretin Dilettante Member Posts: 130 Advisor
    Options

I'd personally just bring a laptop w/ Ableton Live & an APC40 and do a link session or something. That way, you could have a collection of scenes for transitioning between tracks and filling the dead air while you load up the next project file. Until the tech companies get their acts together and throw a setlist mode into these grooveboxes, the best solution will always just be to have a secondary device that you can crossfade into for transitions. Depending on the genre of music you play though, audiences may not even care if there is dead air. It's not common for bands to jam constantly in between songs so that you can't identify where one piece begins or ends, unless they're playing a genre of music where that is expected of them.

• djadidai
    djadidai Member Posts: 394 Pro
    Options

I guess there’s different ways to do live sets, but how do you go to the next groups? If you use A B C D E F G H for your first song and then SHIFT you get H I J K L M N O for the second song, but how do you get to P and so on for song 3?

maybe his solution is better for a short set?

• djadidai
    Options

Oh snap! Holy moly dude, I don’t think he needed this lecture, I guess it’s understood by everyone else that olafs link was supposed to help you. Why do you react like this? Are you autistic?

• LostInFoundation
    Options

Maschine can have unlimited groups and also unlimited groups banks. To access them as you said you push shift and the groups buttons. Every time you fill one bank of 8, it gives you the possibility to add another bank. If you also filled all the 8 buttons with 8 banks, you can even move to use the select button to create a ninth one and so on the groups will be called A1, B1,… and then A2, B2,… with the number corresponding to the bank number

• djadidai
    Options

I knew it was possible to somehow create a next set of groups constantly but didn’t quite get how. So essentially it’s like a fresh sheet for each “page”, so each song gets a clean sheet or template, making every song have a possibility of 8 groups with 16 slots in every group. That’s freakin sick. Love M+. So if I create a few template-groups, I can then load my saved groups on every new sheet (layer?) if I wish. Seems like I have to re-do my liveset project lol. However I still don’t see why it’s that much better than just using a group/song since it’s basically the same thing just at a less macro level and more micro-level. Having a group containing all elements of a song instead of having a layer with elements spread out across 8 groups seems easier for me to “handle” I suppose? Anyway, I see what you/Loopop mean(s)

• LostInFoundation
    edited June 2023
    Options

They are both valid approaches.

What convinced me on Loopop video is what he says at 9:40. The mixing will be a little more comfortable with a song per bank. First you don’t have to switch the mixer continuously from groups to sounds levels…and even better the mutes: let’s say you want to mute the drums. If all the drums sound are contained in a dedicated group, mute + 1 group button will mute them all. Or you still have the possibility to mute single pads. If they are in e.g. the first 8 pads in a group containing also the instruments, you’ll have to push all 8 buttons to mute all the drums sounds. And also you’ll keep the ability to insert fxs on group level to affect all sounds in this group.

These are the typical motivations why I prefer to use multiple groups for all the elements of a song, even when I’m not thinking about a project containing a full set. Of course I could load all the different instruments in a single group one per pad, but this will reduce a little bit the flexibility

This and the fact that if you need e.g. 12 percussions sounds for a song only 4 pads will be available for instruments, while using 8 groups all for a single song will give you waaaay more pads to fill with what you need for the performance. Then…if M+ weak processor will be able to manage them is completely another discussion 😂

• djadidai
    Options

Yeah, I’m terms of every group having its own volume fader it makes great sense, but if you’d like to make dj-like transitions you’d still need to be on the group level and still need to mute/unmute elements of different groups, having to shift-group# seems just as big of a hassle as needing to switch from sound to group layer in the mixer as soon as you’d need to go further than song 2. I’d love for some of us to have a maschine weekend somewhere where we could all meet up and have a seminar/showcase/workshop or something similar. It would be so much fun to try to get to the same set goal in different ways and show each other how we did it. Instead of just abstractly trying to make sense and write stuff. So many here who know so much about this unit. Peace

• el fino fino
    el fino fino Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Para hacer los en vivos en maschine + , hay tres técnicas

La primera y más antigua es con la maschine Jam conectada a la plus

La segunda es memorizar los pas en scene seleccionando los pattern que quieres que lancen los pad de cada scene

La tercera y más innovadora es en el modo lock solo usas una scene y en cada grupo un pattern cuando entras en modo lock usas el mute para desactivar los sonidos o activar los sonidos y memorizas en los pad .

Está receta secreta la descubrí y le aplique el grabar modo interno la sesión para luego en la pista de arreglos seguir jugando con esa sesión grabada y seguir aplicando más sonidos ...esa técnica la bauticé como ( pa Lante ) soy el único que tiene vídeos explicativos de esto