Full live sets on the M+?

Options
DubTek
DubTek Member Posts: 10 Member
edited August 2023 in Maschine

New to M+, and Maschine in general, and only picked up my M+ three days ago, so I'm very new to this platform....

Can I play a full set of tracks, on the M+, with no gaps between tracks (dead air, as apposed to transition sounds)?

Like I say, I'm new to the M+ and am just about finding my way around at the moment, so a way off from this just now, but I'm sure it won't be long before I have a collection of tracks produced on the M+

Not new to hardware or producing-octatrack mk2, mpc live mk2, Syntakt, tt 303, Tanzbar, hydrasynth, ableton live suite 11 etc etc so I know my way around - I'm just not there with M+ yet. I'm also enjoying what I've learnt so far on the gear 😎

Tagged:

Comments

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,299 Expert
    edited June 2023
    Options

Loading next project (track) will ever require some transition time.

Since you say you own it, think like for MPC Live mk2: loading next song will always require some time.

The only thing I can think of that implemented a “transitioning” between projects is an app for iPad (and in the future for Mac): Loopy Pro

• DubTek
    Options

So does that transition result in silence, or can I have audio transitions playing, whilst I'm waiting for the next track to load up?

Could I load a project with multiple tracks and play them as part of a set, factoring transitions etc?

• LostInFoundation
    edited June 2023
    Options

Sorry, I edited last response while you were writing. Have a look.

A project can be organized to play multiple tracks, but different BPM between tracks could be a problem (Maschine doesn’t allow for tempo changes). And also…one project containing too many instruments that you’ll need for the different tracks will surely make its poor CPU struggle.

Loading next project will interrupt previous one

• DubTek
    Options

Got you.

I plan to use samples as much as I can and tempos changes aren't really a big concern, so those shortcomings can be navigated I suspect.

Interrupting the audio can't be navigated, so I'll use another device with it. That's how I'm currently performing anyway, but was worth checking to see if I could get away with taking less gear with me.

Cheers

• Schmapps1
    Schmapps1 Member Posts: 134 Pro
    edited June 2023
    Options

I think the only real way to do it all inside of Maschine, is to have your entire set all contained in one project.

the good news is that it’s not as hard to do as it sounds - just plan things out and move across your project scene-by-scene. you can create infinite groups if need be. (Depending on your personal workflow)

you’ll have to commit to converting just about every element to a sample eventually I would imagine in order to not overload the CPU.

and you should definitely explore the Maschine snapshots/lock states. They are a great way to basically assign “anchors” to move through your set, while still giving you the freedom and confidence to jam out and go wild with fx and stuff in between. Because you always know you can get back to the next “anchor” with the push of a button.

• DubTek
    Options

Thanks. There's a whole lot of information and words there, that I have zero clue about as I only picked it up this week! However, that sounds like how I had assumed it would need to be.

I'll take a look around YouTube for some tuts on what you've suggested. I'm assuming that it's the same on all the maschine family, in case I can't find + specific vids?

• LostInFoundation
    Options

A simple looper could be useful in that case: you loop last piece of previous song (maybe with a fade out or some other fx to make a nice transition) and in the meanwhile that it plays some bars of your “outro” you load the next project 😉

• DubTek
    Options

I do that with the octatrack mk2 currently, and have considered the rc 505 for this with other devices.

I don't want to spend more, but the idea of the rc505 and just the m+ is somewhat appealing..

• LostInFoundation
    edited June 2023
    Options

My 505 is collecting a lot of dust since Loopy Pro came out. If you already own an iPad or an iPhone, take it in consideration: waaaaay more powerful and flexible than the 505. And costs 29 bucks instead of hundreds 😏

BTW: do you want to buy mine? 😂😂😂

• Schmapps1
    Schmapps1 Member Posts: 134 Pro
    Options

We’ll I don’t have a + myself, I have a mk3, so I haven’t specifically searched out too many ‘+ specific’ YouTube vids.

but it is essentially the same across the Maschine family as far as I know

• DubTek
    Options

If you're in the uk, then I might be persuaded...

I don't have any 'i' devices unfortunately, otherwise that would have been a very easy fix!

• DubTek
    Options

Great, I thought as much myself. I'm sure I'll be flying around in no time 😎

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 609 Guru
    edited June 2023
    Options

If I was brave enough to consider playing a show with Maschine+ standalone, I'd either

• Use two Maschine+ units and a DJ mixer

• Use only a single project, containing the entire show

However, there are still some issues regarding to glitches, especially with audio loops and scene changes, so until those are addressed, I'd probably not even bother. It's kind of frustrating, Maschine+ is stable enough as not to feel bug riddled when writing new material, but still not bulletproof enough for playing a longer set without a single audible glitch/dropout.. M+ is not an Elektron-tier dependable performance machine

• djadidai
    djadidai Member Posts: 393 Pro
    edited June 2023
    Options

yo! I have a live set project, takes a while to load, but transitions are working perfectly, make sure you use a group, say A, where you load effects so you can route sounds/groups through those effects, reverb, delay, you name it. I try to use 1 group/track, limiting me to 16 sound pads (which can contain whatever you want) per song , and within this group, say group B, I load all drums and synths I need for that specific track and create patterns (you can create as many patterns as you like in a group), and switch between the patterns as you progress through your set, and in scenes I create the lock states if I want those type of transitions otherwise I play the intro pattern from group B, and intro pattern from group C together in a scene, and switch back and forth to mute/unmute certain sounds. I hope this makes any sense. I also load performance fx on all groups, so I’m using the effects from group A as generic effects for reverb, delay, filter and so on, which during the set can be changed, and performance fx for those special things! so you’d have to note or remember what type of vibe you’d like for every song but that’s not a big deal, a live set is just that, live :)

Use the poly synth, drumsynths and bass synth, those are all AWESOME to create and shape your own sounds!!

to save cpu: make sure to remove unnecessary effects on the pads. Sample your synths if you have loads of heavy stuff, but once massive/monark/prism is loaded, other presets don’t take as much cpu or ram bcs the synth itself is already loaded!!

Another tip is to have a group containing several instances of the drumsynths, for example 2-3 for kicks, 2-3 for snares, hihats, percs and so on bcs you can create your grooves and patterns within this group amd shape your sounds live, song 1 contains maybe kick drum synth 1 and song 2 contains the kick from pad 2, I have the bottom row for kicks, the second row (pad 5-9) for snares/claps, and so on….

to put it simply, you’ll love to livejam with your M+ as soon as you get an overview understanding of groups, aux effects, perform fx, the sound/group/master hierarchy, the patterns/scenes and the difference between them and lock states.

you can also autosample your own manipulated presets to save cpu!

sorry if I’m all over the place but I got 2 kids screaming atm!!!

WELCOME TO MASCHINE WORKFLOW, as soon as you get it you’ll be amazed at all the possibilities!!

and a last tip: find a Maschine Jam!!!!!!! For live performance this will make EVERYTHING better and easier and more fun to play instruments bcs of the strips!!!

peace and love