Maschine plus upgrades (ableton push 3 released)

Options

Comments

• DoverBeach
    DoverBeach Member Posts: 48 Helper
    Options

that's what I say to people that complain about push3 battery life. Standard duration for intel processors. I hate apple and I don't want to derail the 3d again, but that's why my next laptop will be a macbook.

Thanks for answering btw. /end ot

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,801 Expert
    Options

Do not want to be OT again, just small note...

AMD x86 CPU (Zen 4, not older) has very similar energy efficiency like Apple M1/M2 CPU.... That is just Intel, that is lagging behind (oldfashioned CPU architecture and not so good node process as TSCM, used by Apple and AMD, has), not the whole x86 platform....

• DoverBeach
    Options

Yeah but 80% of Windows laptop have Intel processors not AMD. And those who don't, sometimes have other issues, worse customer support, build quality etc.

My comment was related to laptop, it was not general.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,801 Expert
    Options

You are right, but one can find decent notebook with AMD CPU. The problem is that Intel has long term "partnerships" with many major notebook manufacturers, so AMD penetration into this segment is rather slow...

Even M$ makes laptops with AMD CPUs and I do not think it would have bad build quality, support or any other issues... Except, that it is not the cheap thing...

• DoverBeach
    Options

Yes I was looking for one for months, but for the price they go I decided to switch to MBP (when my trusty Zenbook I7 2018 will decide to leave me) , safer choice, they keep resale value for years compared to Windows and I want to try macos for the first time.

• myalteredsoul
    myalteredsoul Member Posts: 202 Advisor
    Options

There's not really a solid comparison here to what is in the Push 3. My tablet has a gaming graphics card and a high watt demand CPU at 115W. The 1115G4 only has a max of 28W (as an aside, the M2 is still super efficient at 35W).

The short day I got to test the Push 3, it ran a little over 4 and a half hours attached to a 20,000 mAh battery. The Push 3 built in battery died in less than two hours working on the same project. The battery inside the Push 3 does leave a lot to be desired, still. It is really the extra $1k pricepoint that is causing people to wish for more. Especially when you combine those small shortcomigs with the lack in response from Ableton support regarding RMA's, information about known bugs, and payment issues. The person who let me have their Push 3 for a day is currently one in the RMA camp. Their push 3 no longer powers on. The display pops on, the interface makes a slight bit of noise, quietly pops, and the unit powers back off. Cloning the nvme and trying with a replacement doesn't fix it. However, it does power up and work in controller mode.

• myalteredsoul
    myalteredsoul Member Posts: 202 Advisor
    Options

Just spec checked, and it looks like the Vivobook with the 1115G4 gets a little over 9 hours of battery life at idle and over 6 with heavy use.

• drewhjava
    drewhjava Member Posts: 32 Helper
    edited June 2023
    Options

I've been using Ableton Live since 2006 lol. No need to explain the difference in Ableton and Live. I'm just saying, with the music producers on Youtube that use Ableton I never see them using the Push at all.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,929 mod
    edited June 2023
    Options

For the record, I didn't mean to point fingers at anyone specific with my question, I just wanted to gather some opinions. Thanks guys.

Similarly, from my observation the vast majority of KKS keyboard users I see online always have them in MIDI Mode, not using KK at all, all the dedicated stuff they pay for is 'wasted', they still seem happy with their hw which is a bit odd to me, but hey... it works for them.

I had a Push2 and only used it for a couple of things, note input, slicing, and a bit of knob twisting... 80% of the feature set was completely unused, especially since it's a very Session View focused device and I am an Arranger kind of guy... I see this behavior a lot with Push users. Maybe this gave you the impression they don't use it? If I buy a P3 it will be the same deal, I will only truly use it as the only computer peripheral in live performance.

I understand that for people into standalones or that for some reason want to break away from the computer/mouse/keyboard it might seem strange but for lots of us, this is the preferred way of working, using the controller when it is practical and a mouse/keyboard the same way, interchangeably. This approach can often make people lazy to actually really learn the HW since one is not forcing him/herself to do so.

I also have MIDI Keyboards and use them very little, I spend 20x more time on a Piano Roll that doesn't mean I don't like MIDI keyboards and am a victim of marketing or am returning them...

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,175 Guru
    Options

@drewhjava said: "with the music producers on Youtube that use Ableton (sic) I never see them using the Push at all"

Then you're not watching the same producers that I am. I just watched a brand new video today in fact. BTW they're using Live, not Ableton. That's the company (LOL as you say).

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro
    Options

Usually Ableton and Live are interchangeable since Push 2 arrived there was just one product. In a common talk with friends you will say Ableton because Live has more wider meaning… and also Push(2 or 3 or “akai push” in the first gen) are usually understood in “our field/circle” almost from those of us doing music since Ableton Live 1 or even 5 way before any push controller appeared.

As note I usually use ALink (with those capitals) to refer Ableton Link.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,309 Expert
    Options

Yes…majority call Live Ableton, since they have only 1 product (plus the controllers).

But I have to admit that if you told me “ALink” I wouldn’t understand it 😂

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro
    Options
  • afrogrit
    afrogrit Member Posts: 57 Helper
    Options

. . . let's talk about music people