Sounds clipping

Options

Comments

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited April 2023
    Options

I wouldn't go focusing on the drive speed or CPU, HDD are slow but work fine once loaded and thats a 10 core xeon (2017 i think), he should be able to run like 100 kontakt instances. About 100-150 MB/s readwrite speeds with that HDD if I remember correctly.

If you have a custom value for "Processing Threads" in Logic preferences try setting it to "automatic".

In Kontakt Prefs>engine set "Multi Processor Support" off.

I would install Reaper, it's free... And test AU and VST's to see if runs all the plugins OK, if it does then you know the issue is only within Logic.

Also, do you have the same results if you skip using the Apogee interface and just use the iMac internal interface? Doubt this is the cause but worth trying.

Your priority should be to establish where the problem is coming from: Logic, the NI products (Kontakt only?) or the Interface. Wont hurt to also test Kontakt 6.

• SteveFrederick
    SteveFrederick Member Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Will do D-One. I’ll try and get results today.

Thank you for taking the time to help, really appreciate it

• SteveFrederick
    edited May 2023
    Options

Okay, so the settings were already using "Automatic" and "Multi-Processor Off"

I also skipped the Apogee and went straight through my Mac speakers, problem persisted.

What I noticed this time is that it started clipping when I selected the track, this isn't the norm however it may get us closer to a solution.

I posted a video here:

I also installed Reaper. Native instruments doesn't play at all on there, it shows the audio outputting for a second then cutting out but I don't hear anything. EZDrummer and other plug ins work properly.

• D-One
    Options

Wow... The mystery intensifies.

You're using KK right? skip it and load K7 directly, use no other plugins anywhere and upload a logic project so we can test it just in case it's a somehow project settings related, doubt it tho

What about your internal OS drive, what format is it in? Case sensitive by any chance? Take a screenshot of Disk Utility. People with similar issues solved it by using the correct file format.. since you already tried on both the internal and external...

• SteveFrederick
    edited April 2023
    Options

Using KK, when I tried loading Kontakt directly I got the everlasting beach ball.

I'm doing another install, I noticed a few expansions had and installation path to my RAID drives. I'm hoping dependencies were on a incompatible HD. Fingers crossed

If this doesn't fix it I'll grab the requested info.

• SteveFrederick
    edited May 2023
    Options

All day re-installing files just to have the same problem. I have wasted hours trying to get this software to work without a word from NI. Worst support EVER!

Same cutting out and when I try and run Kontakt 7 instead of KK it just freezes up. Everything else works perfectly, just NI gives me trouble

My internal drive is also APFS, this is where I have the instruments. All of the libraries are on the external which is also APFS. This is so frustrating

• D-One
    edited May 2023
    Options

This might indicate that K7 is where the issue lies. Try Kontakt 6 plugin and see if it works, it's plugin name is just "Kontakt" without a number, also try KK with the option from Prefs>Plugins "Always Use Latest Version of NI Plug-ins" turned off.

Load older instruments to test as the new ones might require K7.

If this makes a difference then wiping k7 from your system before reinstalling could solve it.

BTW thanks for the coffee, you didn't have to do that so I appreciate it

• SteveFrederick
    Options

Okay so if I take the same Instrument, Preset, and MIDI track and apply it to Kontakt (6) it works as intended.

I adjusted the "newest version" preference as mentioned, then I completely removed Kontakt 7 from my computer. When I opened Logic and played the track on KK it still cut off. I believe it's still looking for Kontakt 7 because I got a screen once opened asking me to authenticate K7.

I then re-installed Kontakt 7 on my Internal HD and opened the project. Same thing happened; cuts out and freezes when I open K7.

So it appears I can use Kontakt (6) without issue but KK and Kontakt 7 cut out and freeze up. I can live without K7 but my keyboard uses KK to load presets so I'd really like to get that fixed.

Closer to a solution I guess but still no word from NI. I'm not surprised

• D-One
    edited May 2023
    Options

YAY, some progress. 😅

Maybe you didn't delete something important then, also make sure to rescan after this type of stuff and do it with all software closed.

The main files to delete for NA to believe a product is not installed (on a Mac) are the .plist files, to quickly get rid of them + plugins run this in the Terminal:

sudo rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.native-instruments.Kontakt\ 7.plist
    sudo rm /Library/Preferences/com.native-instruments.Kontakt\ 7.plist
    sudo rm -R /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/Kontakt\ 7.component /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/Kontakt\ 7.vst /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3/Kontakt\ 7.vst3 /Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins/Kontakt\ 7.aaxplugin

Try that, or you can also do it by hand and really fully remove everything (it's a bit of a PITA), this is all the K7 stuff around the computer:

Regarding a tech sup response:

IDK when you created your ticket but there was zero chance of hearing back from NI since this thread was opened, it was a Saturday and today is a holiday, support does not work on either. Do you have a ticket number? Usually, Jeremy is able to follow up on tickets that for some reason get lost, he is currently sick and not working afaik but I can try to ask someone else for a follow-up tomorrow. No guarantees as he was the only one who actually works directly with the support team :S

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert
    Options

@SteveFrederick Maybe you also have to perform rescan in Komplete Kontrol after removing Kontakt 7 to make it "forget" about Kontakt 7 being installed.

Good that there is some progress to solution....

• SteveFrederick
    edited May 2023
    Options

Doesn't seem to be working. I deleted all parts of K7, did a rescan and restarted. I checked NI Access and K7 said "install" so I'm guessing it's all gone. Loaded up a project without any NI plugins. After applying the same tracks and NI Instruments using KK it cuts out just the same.

I did notice it's still in the plug in manager, anyone know how to get it from here? (I unchecked it)

Regarding NI Support. I contacted them Wednesday via support portal and followed up Friday via Email, nothing. This is the 3rd time trying to get them to help me. It takes 3 days for them to get back with more questions so I never get anything fixed. It's really insulting after the amount of products I purchased

Ticket# 3907209

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,740 mod
    edited May 2023
    Options

I do appreciate that it's frustrating but to be honest the thing about 'more questions' is often that's the only way to troubleshoot a problem, especially when all you are relying on (as the support person) is what someone else is seeing. The fact is this is a really unusual problem, you have a very high spec system, on the face of it there is no reason why you shouldn't be getting great performance. So support will need to ask questions and take you through a chain of actions to try and eliminate possibilities until they hopefully get to the cause. It sounds like you need some more personalised input from support, maybe the problem can be escalated by NI, but I can guarantee that it will involve questions and some actions on your part.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert
    edited May 2023
    Options

@SteveFrederick

1) Have you made rescan in Komplete Kontrol? (After full removing Komplete 6)

2) Have you tried a track just with one troublesome NI plugin, no other ? You may add more and more instances of that plugin one by one, to test how many you may run.

I remember that one user blamed NI plugins to cause problems to find out much later all the problem were due to plugin by another manufacturer....

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,287 Expert
    edited May 2023
    Options

I see in your video that the issue is happening only when the problematic track (Modular Icon) is armed for recording (when it’s selected but soloed and the arm is off, it sounds correctly) . Is this always the case?

Try to remove from the DAW “arm track when selected” or to turn off arm when the track is selected to see if it happens anyway.

THIS could get us closer to the solution, and surely important to mention to the support (when…and IF…they will answer you)

(by this I’m not saying there’s not a problem, it shouldn’t happen anyway, as it is not happening in the other tracks when you select them and they get armed. But it could be a clue to find a solution)

• SteveFrederick
    edited May 2023
    Options

@Kubrak Yes, I did a rescan however I am still getting this screen when I run Modular Icons. Any idea how to remove it? (I did uncheck use newest version)

It starts cutting out at 2-3 instances. It’s cut out with a lot of different instruments and with no other plug ins active

@LostInFoundation It's happened regardless of it being armed and/or selected. As I mentioned this was not the norm.

@Kymeia Regarding support; I have no problems answering questions it's the time that passes before they respond that pisses me off. The community has been much more responsive and helpful and I truly appreciate it. I've worked with audio/visual software for years and usually someone will get on the phone or remotely take over my computer to address the issue. They act as if they care, not the case with NI. By the time I get asked the second question a week has passed and I'm on to something else. As mentioned I would even pay for the support but they give us no options.