Maschine just totally hanging on start up due to incompatible plug ins on Mac.

Andy B
Andy B Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Hi, I am running Monterey on an M1 Mac (it came with the mac). Any advice gratefully received. When I try and launch Maschine software it scans all the plug ins and then hangs on the same one AIR talkbox. I have had problems with AIR plug ins (of which I have a few) not being updated in other DAWS, but the other DAW’s at least let me load up the DAW and quarantine the problem plugins so I can at least use the DAW. How do I do that with Maschine because it just hangs there? (Please don’t say wait for AIR to upgrade as I don’t think they will). Many thanks. 

Best Answers

• Andy B
    Answer ✓

Hi Blindeddie, thank you for your help that is very good of you !  I have just found another way, which has crashed once and worked twice, so for anyone else who suffers this problem, it might be worth it. I found out that on Mac at least, if you press escape key when the splash screen comes on, it loads Maschine without scanning. Once it is open you go to preferences, then you see a plugs in tab. Click on it, and then unclick what you think might be the offending plug ins. 

Do not click on rescan there as it will still scan and hang on the plug ins even though you have unclicked them.  So once you have done this close Maschine and then open again and it will open OK. 

However, this is far from an ideal solution as it does not actually tell you which plugins are the problem, apart from the first one it hangs on, so you just have to guess, but at least you can open Maschine. Thank you for your help. 

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

The solution most often offered is to remove all plugins from the path, add them back one at a time and do a rescan. If the scan fails, remove the last plug you added then move on to the next… a time consuming task to say the least… or check M1 compatibility of all plugins and remove the incompatible ones…another time consuming task… gotta love technology!!🤪

Answers

• Andy B

Thank you for your reply.  I can’t see any option to open Maschine in Rosetta, as it just shows as an intel application, so this may not be possible. 

However, I think the problem is how to stop Maschine (the newest version according to Native Access) automatically trying to load all plug ins?  Indeed, even when I open another DAW in Rosetta it still won’t load the AIR plug ins as they are old. 

But at least other DAWs Ableton and Logic open by enabling me to exclude these incompatible plug ins. How do I do this in Maschine?  Thank you.   

• Blindeddie

I know how to bypass the scan on Win, but not a MAC user...so I Googled, and found this from 2013...Use at your own discretion!!!

NI Maschine 2.0 Tip: STOP VST Plugin Scan on Start up!!! Loads under 10 seconds - YouTube

My advice would be to temporarily move the AIR plugins out of the scan path (since they don't work for any DAW) and then try to open Maschine. Hopefully those are the only plugs that are an issue.

Also, another quick google search found this...

If you need to install Rosetta on your Mac - Apple Support

Just an FYI!!

• Andy B
    Answer ✓

Hi Blindeddie, thank you for your help that is very good of you !  I have just found another way, which has crashed once and worked twice, so for anyone else who suffers this problem, it might be worth it. I found out that on Mac at least, if you press escape key when the splash screen comes on, it loads Maschine without scanning. Once it is open you go to preferences, then you see a plugs in tab. Click on it, and then unclick what you think might be the offending plug ins. 

Do not click on rescan there as it will still scan and hang on the plug ins even though you have unclicked them.  So once you have done this close Maschine and then open again and it will open OK. 

However, this is far from an ideal solution as it does not actually tell you which plugins are the problem, apart from the first one it hangs on, so you just have to guess, but at least you can open Maschine. Thank you for your help. 

• Blindeddie
    Answer ✓

The solution most often offered is to remove all plugins from the path, add them back one at a time and do a rescan. If the scan fails, remove the last plug you added then move on to the next… a time consuming task to say the least… or check M1 compatibility of all plugins and remove the incompatible ones…another time consuming task… gotta love technology!!🤪

• kb420
    kb420 Member Posts: 24 Helper

I don't know what the hell is going on over at Native Instruments, but I really think that it's a disaster and an epic catastrophe that the Maschine software isn't vst3 and Apple Silicon compatible at this point in time.

Really Native Instruments?

What are you doing?

What are you waiting for?

• Espen Haug
    Espen Haug Member Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2022

Im having similar issues in windows. Its really weird, as i see people selling NKS files for lots of AIR plugins, like "Vacuum Pro", which does not work on my system... Or, it works initially, after i scan for it inside the Maschine software, but after i close the Maschine software and try to restart it, it only shows the initial "splash screen" for a few seconds before it closes, and then nothing more happens. So then i have to go through all the process and delete the Maschine2 folder in the "user/appdata/local/native instruments" to get Maschine to start again. At least the "Hybrid 3" plugin works on my computer, and i have Komplete 11 Ultimate, so its not all bad.