Is it possible to send external audio to the computer through USB?

kabece
kabece Member Posts: 17 Member
edited March 2022 in Maschine

Hi,

I've recently bought Maschine MK3 and Korg Minilogue. I'm trying to connect the synth to the Maschine as I don't own a separate audio interface. I plugged in the output of the synth to the Line 1 Input of Maschine and managed to play the synth, but only when Audio Device is set to Maschine MK3.

Is it possible to use Audio Device "Built-in" (so my computer) while also being able to hear the sound coming in from the synth? I don't want to MIDI-control the synth or anything like that, just want to be able to process the audio from it using the built-in audio interface of Maschine.

Thank you,

Chris

Tagged:

Best Answer

• kabece
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

I've managed to do it! Thanks a lot @Kubrak :)

Here's what needs to be done (for anyone else looking): https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000

And then restart the Maschine software and select the newly created Aggregate Audio Interface as your device and adjust Input/Outputs.

The only problem is that the sound is crazy quiet, is it because Maschine's interface is not powerful enough?

Answers

• DIS-ONE
    DIS-ONE Member Posts: 34 Helper

do you have the monitor on. in the maschine software. to my understanding. you are sampling your Korg???

• kabece

I do have the monitor on and yes, I was trying to sample Korg.

All I want to do is to be able to play and record my Korg using Maschine's built-in audio interface - is that possible?

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
    edited February 2022

If you want to use the MK3 soundcard, your only way is to set your audio input to Maschine MK3 in your DAW preferences. This way you should be able to see the line input on which your synth is plugged and treat it as an audio source in one channel.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert
    edited February 2022

@kabece

In any case you have to use Mk3 audiointerface (in your case), if you want to get Korg sound to your PC.

I do not know, why you want use internal audio interface. But even that is possible.

A) You may use Mk3 for input and internal for output. (Mk3 would serve as input and internal as output)

B) You may setup agregate device (Mac) or use ASIO4All for the same purpose on Win. (Mk3 and internal would serve as input and output)

• kabece

Thank you for the answers!

But is there a way to connect my Korg to the Maschine (using the Audio cable) and then Maschine to the computer (using USB) and be able to see the Korg sound on the computer?

My speakers are connected to the computer, not Maschine, so it doesn't work for me if I set Preferences -> Audio -> Device to Maschine MK3 (and that's the only way I've managed to get any sound from the Korg so far).

Maybe it's a bit convoluted what I'm trying to do but I'm just starting out and was trying to check if there's a way to use Maschine as my audio interface or do I actually need to buy a separate one.

• Kubrak

I thought, you want something like that... It should be possible.

Are you on Win or Mac? I cannot help with Mac, but for sure it is possible to do it by defining and using agregate audio device, on Mac.

On Win, you should be able to define different audio interfaces for audio in (you would use Mk3) and audio out (you would use internal).

• kabece
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

I've managed to do it! Thanks a lot @Kubrak :)

Here's what needs to be done (for anyone else looking): https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000

And then restart the Maschine software and select the newly created Aggregate Audio Interface as your device and adjust Input/Outputs.

The only problem is that the sound is crazy quiet, is it because Maschine's interface is not powerful enough?

• Kubrak

@kabece

What cable do you use for connecting Korg and Mk3? Mk3 has ballanced TRS inputs. If Korg has ballanced outputs, you should use ballanced (TRS) cables. If Korg has unballanced output, you should use TR cables.

You might also try using mic input (for mono signal) on Mk3 and adjust the mic amlification accordingly....

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert

@kabece wrote:

Did you adjust the input gain on the Maschine?

• kabece

Thank you for your answers and help everyone!

I managed to get the volume up by plugging it into the Mic input and adjusting the Mic gain instead of plugging it into the Line 1 input.

In the end I've decided to buy a separate audio interface anyway - this definitely feels like a fair bit of hassle :)

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert

@kabece wrote

In the end I've decided to buy a separate audio interface anyway - this definitely feels like a fair bit of hassle :)

Well, that shouldn't be necessary. I could record my Access Virus TI2, Behringer Model D and Moog Voyager RME just fine through the line inputs of the Maschine+ (which AFAIK has an identical audio interface as the Mk3).

• Kubrak

@kabece wrote

I managed to get the volume up by plugging it into the Mic input and adjusting the Mic gain instead of plugging it into the Line 1 input.

What kind of cable do you use? TS or TRS? The both should work with your Korg, but TS would be better, if you want to be sure. As Ozon mentions, no need for dedicated audio interface. It should work with Mk3 into Line 1 input.

Another possibility might be to use headphone output of Korg (and adjust the strenght of signal to your need using Korg's volume controll), but Audio out plug should be better.

• kabece

I was using TS cable because Korg has mono output only. I did manage to get it to work by using the Mic input - so it's definitely doable, just needs the aggregate device created on Mac.

• RedwardMc
    RedwardMc Member Posts: 84 Advisor

Use the Maschine as your audio interface, select the Maschine ASIO driver as your audio output, and connect speakers/headphones to the Maschine outputs.

Buying a separate interface won't solve your problem, because you'll still need to connect your speakers to the interface, not the computer.

• kabece

@RedwardMc that's not true - I managed to have it working with speakers connected to the computer both using Maschine's audio interface (as described above, with the help of others' answers) and through a separate audio interface (that's super easy to do actually).