How System Info Module works

Enrico
Enrico Member Posts: 14 Member
edited May 2023 in Reaktor

I am trying to understand how a System Info module works, specially the Display Clock output. The manual says that this output sends an Event before the interface refreshes, which should happen around 25 times per second and this is confusing me. The interface is reaktor standalone or a daw? and what means that it refreshes? Many times looking at famous ensambles the display clock output seems to be used like a clock or something like that. I can not find any tutorial or additional info about this module and how to use it.

Maybe someone here can help me..

Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answer

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 762 Guru
    Answer ✓

Display clock is just a stream of events/triggers. It sends an event when the display is going to update.

This is useful for:

*Only processing GUI stiff when there will be a display refresh - no point in processing some GUI element 1000 times a second when most of those changes will never be seen!

*Minimising 'tearing' - if you just update screen stuff at arbitrary times, it sometimes causes glitches where the display refreshes part way through the update of some graphical object(s). If you wait for a Dclk before updating, you can prevent or at least minimise this problem - makes things look way more slick!

Answers

• colB
    Answer ✓

Display clock is just a stream of events/triggers. It sends an event when the display is going to update.

This is useful for:

*Only processing GUI stiff when there will be a display refresh - no point in processing some GUI element 1000 times a second when most of those changes will never be seen!

*Minimising 'tearing' - if you just update screen stuff at arbitrary times, it sometimes causes glitches where the display refreshes part way through the update of some graphical object(s). If you wait for a Dclk before updating, you can prevent or at least minimise this problem - makes things look way more slick!

• colB

You can also do some buffering stuff

So maybe you have user inputs or modulation updating various GUI objects.

Instead of just immediately sending updated objects to the display, you can store them in an array, then when there is a Dclk, you can use an iterator to dump all the objects to the display at the same time. This keeps the display looking nice and stable.

See this for an example:

https://www.native-instruments.com/de/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/8540/

• Enrico
    Enrico Member Posts: 14 Member

Okay thanks this is clear now I get it!

thanks