Setting up Maschine Mikro Mk3 with Ableton Live Drum Rack

CharlieCrenshaw
CharlieCrenshaw Member Posts: 6 Newcomer

Can someone tell me how to set up Maschine Mikro MK3 to work with Ableton Live Drum Rack. I'm using the Maschine Mikro MK3 in midi mode. When I use my Akai MPD it was as simple as plug and play, but with the Maschine Mikro MK3 it's not so simple. For example, when I open Drum Rack in Ableton, it defaults to a certain bank, but the pads on the Maschine Mikro MK3 are triggering the pads in Drum Rack from a different bank. What I want to do be able to do is make it so that pad #1 on the Maschine Mikro MK3 controls the correlating pad in Ableton Drum Rack. In other words, I want pad #1 on the Maschine Mikro MK3 to trigger the C1 pad in Drum Rack, pad 2 to control C#1, pad 3 to control D1, and son on?

Best Answer

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,198 Expert
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

You can do this in 2 ways: configuring in Controller Editor which notes you want exactly being sent by Mikro pads or holding the Group button and pushing the groups buttons (this changes the octave in which the pads are sending off)

Answers

• LostInFoundation

There is also a way to do it with Maschine loaded as a plug-in, but if you want it in midi mode, give me one moment and I’ll try to help you

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

Oh…wait…I see you are already at an advanced state.

So…if your problem is just that Mikro sends to another bank, it should be easy: just lower (or increase) the octave of Mikro pads

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

You can do this in 2 ways: configuring in Controller Editor which notes you want exactly being sent by Mikro pads or holding the Group button and pushing the groups buttons (this changes the octave in which the pads are sending off)

• CharlieCrenshaw

Hey, thank you for responding. I only see one button on the Maschine Mikro Mk3 that says "Group". When I press it, it doesn't do anything. Also, when I press it and then hit the octave + or - pads, it still does nothing. When I say it does nothing, I'm saying that nothing changes in the ableton drum rack. The same keys are triggering the same default keys and it doesn't shich the bank that is selected in Ableton drum rack. Also, I would like to change which pads on the Maschine correlate to the pads on the Ableton Drum Rack. Right now pad #1 on the Maschine triggers the C-1 pad on the drum rack. Pad #1 on Maschine is defaulting to trigger the E-2 pad of the drum rack. What I want is for pad #1 on the Maschine to trigger the C1 pad of the Drum Rack (please note: that C-1 is different then C1) (C-1 is on a different bank then the C1 pad of drum rack).

• CharlieCrenshaw

I just figured out how to change which is the default bank. Now I just need to know how to make, for example, the C3 pad of drum rack be the E2 pad in drum rack. In other words, I want what is called E2 on the drum rack to be pad #1 of Maschine. Can you tell me how to do this please?

• CharlieCrenshaw

Never mind. I figured out how to use controll editor. Thanks for all the help.

• CharlieCrenshaw

Can anyone tell me how to program the "FIXED VEL" button in midi mode please? I've got it engaged but it doesn't do anything. I opened the "control editor" but don't see how to program it.

• Warren Postma
    Warren Postma Member Posts: 43 Member
    edited April 2023

I am not sure the controller editor can do advanced features in midi mode.

However things you can’t do with the controller editor, you can do in your DAW using plugin scripting.

I am more familiar with bitwig where I would do the velocity fixed mode as a controller script feature (in javascript) but I have done similar scripts (in python) for ableton live.

The idea is that the controller sends in the midi CCs and you program the FIXED VEL button to send a CC #101, value data 127 for on, 0 for off.

Then the script in the DAW receives that and turns on a fixed_mode variable in your script. When the data comes through from the pads, you code this, in your scripting language

function velocity_convert(in) {

Return fixed_mode ? 127 : in;

}

Elsewhere in the script the script would filter the incoming data1 midi note value with that helper function which would let you program a fixed velocity feature. A variable (multiple level fixed) would be very similar code but would be more like:

function velocity_convert(in) {

Return fixed_mode ? fixed_vel : in;

}

• CharlieCrenshaw

You must like hearing yourself talk. 🤣