Multicore cable alternative

Options

Answers

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,379 Expert
    Options

Oh that is weird. I don't need to do that on my S4 mk3.

If your mixer/controller or turntables does not have an pre-amp at all, might be worth to get an external one that you can connect between Turntable and mixer input.

• Markovicz
    Markovicz Customer Care Posts: 381 mod
    Options

For this kind of operation, you really should use a sound card that comes with preamps and set the respective input(s) to PHONO. If you were using multicore cables before, then your audio device must have such.

• Von D Water
    Von D Water Member Posts: 12 Member
    Options

I'm using the audio traktor 8 sound card so I should have that option. I will check again this evening.

• Markovicz
    Options
  • Von D Water
    Options

Well nog I managed to get my phono signal trough in decent levels but when I now use scratch vinyl my output signal is too low.

So what I have as setup. My turntable is connected to the audio 8 sound card and then my output goes to the phono input of my mixer. Then I set my channel input in audio settings to phono. My signal for real phono is fine then. But when I want to play a digital track with scratch I get a distorted track because I'm in phono input on the mixer?

If I switch my input in the mixer to line input then my digital track is playing fine but then my real phono signal is too silent... What am I not getting?

Do I need 4 traktor decks then? 2 for real phono input and 2 for digital and line input on the mixer?

• lord-carlos
    Options

No, the output of your soundcoud should NOT go into phono, that should go into line in. Now I understand why you have trouble.

The input of your soundcard needs to be phono. If the turntable is boosted, it does not matter if it's a DVS or live vinyl.

Mark_NI tells you how to switch the traktor audio interface to phono.

• Von D Water
    Options

Here are some pictures of what my setup is now in traktor.

I have put the audio setup to phono

Then when I play vinyl my output signal is too low even when I put my gains on my mixer to max

So the thing I have to do when I play vinyl is turning on the gains and increase the gain in traktor to have a descent output signal

Is there any other way?

• Markovicz
    edited February 2023
    Options

As @lord-carlos pointed out, Traktor is sending is a LINE signal, so you need to connect the Audio 8 output cables to LINE inputs on your mixer. This should fix your level issues for good.

• lord-carlos
    Options

If you play vinyl, you have the gain on your mixer on max AND inside traktor?

• lord-carlos
    Options

Mhh, maybe the pre-amp of the Audio 8 is not that powerful. I don't know.

Did you read what Mark_NI linked? The article talks a bit about Phono Gain level on the audio 8 and how you can boost it.

• Von D Water
    Options

Jep I have read that article and I was searching that phono gain level but there is no possibility in the audio 8 control panel. Or maybe I'm missing something.

• Markovicz
    Options

Incoming vinyl levels have more headroom by design in order to mitigate possible peaks in the signal caused by scratches on the time code vinyl. So this is a safety-driven characteristic which needs to be, when using real vinly, balanced out using the channel gain.

• Von D Water
    Options

But I cannot imagine that I need to set the gain almost at max in traktor scratch and then do the same on my mixer to have a descent level? 🤔

• Markovicz
    Options

I can't really judge this because there are several individual factors: turntables / cartridges / mixer...

Either way, I would try to balance the different signals in Traktor as good as possible and then boost the output via the master output control on the mixer.