Automatic Stems separation vs Manual

Options
Ninesense
Ninesense Member Posts: 70 Helper
edited November 2022 in Traktor Software & Hardware

It’s great that there will be a way to get a track separated in stems automatically using izotope’s technology. Looking forward to checking that out.

Other competition software hasn’t quite worked for me since is mostly made for music with vocals and separating the vocals seems to be the main focus. For me that doesn’t mean much as my tracks don’t have vocals. Other options from the competition sound ok.. but still not even close to being as clean to regular stems where I can have a Kick n Bass stem, a Drums stem, a Leads stem and an Atmos stem.

It would be great to still maintain the option to do it manually with the stem creator tool. To be able to have perfectly clean stems.

A stem creator tool that:

Worked on Macs with Monterey os and beyond (I have to use a windows virtual machine so make stems currently)

That could export lossless stem files without having to create Alac files first.

Hopefully the NI team keeps this in consideration.

Comments

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,589 admin
    Options

Hi @Ninesense thanks for sharing the feedback. If you haven't already, feel free to drop your suggestion in our Ideas section as well.

• axeldelafosse
    axeldelafosse Member Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Hello @Ninesense!

I wrote a CLI to do this: https://github.com/axeldelafosse/stemgen. You can generate stems from any track or bring your own stems. It's working on recent macOS versions (even with Apple Silicon) and it is creating ALAC stems from any lossless format (WAV, AIFF or FLAC).

Let me know if it's working for you!

• Ninesense
    Options

Hello,

I see the stems export Vocals.

I use:

Kick n Bass

Drums

Leads

Atmos/Sweeps

Would it works with this kind of setup?

Would you know how to fix the current stem creator tool to work with Apple Silicon?

Thanks!

• axeldelafosse
    axeldelafosse Member Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Would it works with this kind of setup?

Yeah, you can bring your own stems! Check out the stem.py script!

Would you know how to fix the current stem creator tool to work with Apple Silicon? 

Nope, sorry.

• BOYRICH
    BOYRICH Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Cant wait to see Traktor advance the stems feature I'm jealous of those Serato users who are using stems in their set. If Traktor could implement a new tab with the move cue grid section that allows us to analyze and use stems real time using izotope!

• Ninesense
    Options

I hope they update the original stem creator tool that allows producers to create their owns tems (no AI ******.... clean stems)

• Demus
    Demus Member Posts: 158 Pro
    Options

I think you might not be understanding stems file for DJ. You take files that are already mastered, and the algorithm separates the file into sections. You are talking about making your own stems production files. I think you can do what you want in any modern DAW software. My guess is that stems creator tool will never be upgrade. After it's been so long more likely abandon software

• AxMusic
    AxMusic Member Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Have they given any timeframe on when this feature will be added?

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,371 Expert
    Options

Nope, according roadmap more or less next release or the one after that. But we don't know when those releases will come.

• Ninesense
    Options

I understand the concept of seperating a mastered file into stems.

The issue currently is that this is made for tracks that have:

Kick, Bass, Instruments, Vocals.

For my purpose at least that isn't useful. I use Kick and Bass, Drums, Leads, Atmos.

Also when you make stems with proper seperate files there is a clean seperation of the sounds. You can make stems with any DAW but you need (as far as I know) the Stem Creator Tool to get them into traktor.

Currently I have Windows installed on my mac to be able to use the Stem Creator Tool since it doesn't work on a currento MacOS. I create ALAC Files, bring them into the Stem Creator Tool and it spits out a proper Stem file of about 400mb. Then it goes into traktor. It's a super clean way of mixing and putting fx seperatly on the stems without affecting anything else.

Updating the stem creator tool doesn't seem to require that much work... they could do it, they just don't seem to want to... because yes, Traktor seems to be aimed for DJ's when it could be an amazing tool for music producers.

• Ninesense
    Options

If by any chance you have any spare moment where you can do a video on how to use this would awesome! I couldn't get it to work, might just be missing something simple.

Thanks! 👊

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,371 Expert
    Options

If commandline is not your thing, you could ask the Nuo Stems guy if he can implement "stems from existing files"

It's paid software, but relative cheap and it seems like he is very active when it comes to new features.

• Ninesense
    Options

Somehow the Stem Creator took started working again on my Mac!

Only thing that changed were maintenance OS updates. Baffled

• Demus
    Demus Member Posts: 158 Pro
    Options