Need help with hanging notes when switching between gates.

Studiowaves
Studiowaves Member Posts: 451 Advisor

This is how I did it, the "to voice module" is only there to keep the solo or 1 voice ST-gate at the same volume when switching from polyphonic mode. If a note is held down when switching the router it latches on and hangs. I can't think of any mod to this circuit that will stop or turn off the note in the STgate before the router switches to the normal gate. Tried sending in a zero event by inserting a multiplier on the gate out and switching it to 0 but the note stayed on. It would be nice if they had a kill switch on the gate but not on this one. Any ideas? A different method perhaps.

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert
    Answer ✓

Al, take a look in MRC. There is a Panic button or the Note off macro to kill hanging gates.

• Studiowaves
    edited January 2022

Thanks Paul , that's a big help. MRC I found it in the UL.

• Paule
    Answer ✓

MRC I found it in the UL.

Al, it's Midi Remote Control. The controller part of several of my monsters-

• bolabo
    bolabo Member Posts: 97 Advisor
    edited February 2022

Try replacing the 'Router' module with a 'Selector/Scanner' module. That should fix the hanging notes.

These 2 modules are pretty similar except that the 'Router' module simply routes incoming events based on the 'Ctl' input, whereas the 'Selector/Scanner' module will resend the values of the inputs when it switches, which should turn off any currently playing notes.

• Studiowaves
    edited February 2022

We'll that's cool, sounds like they made the Scanner module just for that reason. Does it do anything else? that's a lot to handle right there. FYI it's not talked about in version 5 or 6 manual ( search every manual, brought 0 results). I found it in the macro library but it doesn't seem to work that way. Do you have an ensemble with this? Thanks again

• bolabo
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

There is some information about the ‘Selector’ module in the “Building In Primary” manual, here:

this manual has a list of all the primary modules, with descriptions and some building tips, also the “Modules And Macros Reference” has more information (page 828).

• Studiowaves

Thanks Molabo , it almost worked but I had no envelopes from the envelope generator modules. I had to add a STPFLT module to fix that. As can be seen it's attached to the output of the Selector/Scanner module. This was tricky, I figured the only way the envelope generator would stop working is if it were constantly retriggered. Seems it was for unknown reasons, but imagine its from the ST gate and the gate sending a constant retrigger and that's exactly what the stpflt module prevents, in this case. Check it out, it works fine. Input 4 switches from 0 to 1 and 1 is monophonic, 2 is polyphonic.

• Studiowaves

Ahah , found the source of the envelope problem, It was the A/E convertor, this works fine.

• bolabo

Yeah the A/E module outputs a continuous stream of events at 'control rate', so it's generally a good idea to follow that with a StpFlt as you have done :)

Do you use the 'Event-Watcher small' macro? it's in the 'Debug' menu of the factory macro library, It's very useful in this sort of situation to monitor how events are moving around your structure.

• Studiowaves

Never have used it, appreciate it. I started with core stuff about a year ago and have only made one instrument. But when it comes to dealing with the stuff that interfaces with midi is where it gets hard. I'll tell you, even after reading about the scanner selector I wouldn't have thought it would work. It seemed like a fancy crossfade between two inputs; like panning between say 3 and 4 with 4 inputs plus the control. I think the reason it works is the fact that it passes the event at 0 level when panned to one side. So in reality both gate types are output together as a single cross-fade value but with a single event. Is there a simpler cross-fade without the S curve and the wrap or more inputs that might use less cpu? I really don't need much for this but man, I appreciate the tip; it works perfect and makes perfect sense. I'll use the tool and check things out, without the tool I would have no way of determining whether or not I'm getting 2 events instead of 1 with two gates attached.

• Paule
    edited February 2022

Al, to use the Scanner module like a switch set the curve type to none.

Default is linear.

• Studiowaves

Thank you Paule, I understand the curves and have turned them off, I was curious is there was a simpler module without a crossfade or wrap capabilities. It's possible a light version would use less Cpu. I can probably build one with each gates attached to a multiplier with a not or inverter on one of the multipliers. Then add the multipliers together. Not sure what would happen but I might learn something about events. I assume the scanner outputs one event per value even though it has two gates coming in. As a side note, I'm curios if the control rate can affect midi timing. Like playing 10 notes at one time but the notes don't exit reaktor at the same time. So I need to learn about that too.

• Studiowaves
    edited February 2022

This also works, I used the counter to verify the number of events. And yes, there is only one event per midi note on the scanner modules output.