Best audio format for Traktor

jo-jo-on-tour
jo-jo-on-tour Member Posts: 8 Member
edited February 2022 in Traktor Software & Hardware

Hello!

Does anyone have experience with Traktor S8 and different audio formats?

Which one is best concerning performance - sound quality balance?

First I used mp3 192 kbps but got small dropouts. Increasing buffer and latency, deactivating un-used system components (i.e. camera), changed format from mp3 to wav 48kHz / 24 bit. Analyzing seems to go smoother and quicker, sound is (of course) slightly better - but small dropouts stay, unfortunately. Maybe ogg vorbis format is better (as streaming focussed)? Anyone an idea? Thanks in advance!!

My setup: Traktor Pro 3, latest driver plus...

• Lenovo Thinkpad W540, 8 cores Intel i7 4900MQ, 16 GB RAM resp.
  • Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 14, 8 cores AMD Ryzen 7 5800U, 16 GB RAM
Tagged:

Best Answers

• c0nsul
    c0nsul Member Posts: 295 Pro
    Answer ✓

In terms of file size and quality and tag-ability, I only use mp3s (320 kbit/s) and AACs (256 kBit/s).

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

Generally speaking, every DJ should aim for .wav or .aiff (16-bit, 44.1kHz) to ensure a proper quality in case you end up playing on big speakers/stages.

Little preference for .aiff as you can store metadata on it (artworks, artists details, comments..etc) which are useful for sorting out your library.

However these files can take up a lot of storage if you have a bunch of tracks. So mp3 with 320 kbps (never below!) also does the job in most cases.

Answers

• c0nsul
    c0nsul Member Posts: 295 Pro
    Answer ✓

In terms of file size and quality and tag-ability, I only use mp3s (320 kbit/s) and AACs (256 kBit/s).

• jo-jo-on-tour
    jo-jo-on-tour Member Posts: 8 Member

Am just trying, thanks. My big Lenovo is just importing my library into the track folder. Takes some time...

My idea was that (because mp3's are compressed and have to be converted in the background to raw data before being able to pass da-conversion - well... that's what I guess at least) this first conversion from mp3 to raw data takes time and capacity. And in order to leave this first conversion step aside I tryed wav format. But maybe my comprehension of background signal flow is wrong...

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

Generally speaking, every DJ should aim for .wav or .aiff (16-bit, 44.1kHz) to ensure a proper quality in case you end up playing on big speakers/stages.

Little preference for .aiff as you can store metadata on it (artworks, artists details, comments..etc) which are useful for sorting out your library.

However these files can take up a lot of storage if you have a bunch of tracks. So mp3 with 320 kbps (never below!) also does the job in most cases.