Where is Maschine plus pulling samples from

Options
Magenta
Magenta Member Posts: 17 Member

Hello,

After downloading many expansion packs etc. via Wi-Fi to my Maschine Plus Hardware, where does it get stored? Does it get stored on my SD card or the actual hardware? Also, when loading samples, patterns, instruments onto my groups (for example) are they being loaded from the SD card or the hard drive?

thank you in advance for your help.

Best Answer

• tribepop
    tribepop Member Posts: 160 Advisor
    Answer ✓
    Options

Maschine+ as far as I know does not have any internal “hard drive”, if it does it’s probably super small and is used to flash the OS and not for actual file storage.

Either way, Maschine+ and the OS are booted up and that point everything in your project is loaded from your SD card and into The Maschine+’s ram. I know you can hook up external drives via USB but I think those are specifically for accessing User Content and not for booting up the operating system and software.

Answers

• tribepop
    Answer ✓
    Options

Maschine+ as far as I know does not have any internal “hard drive”, if it does it’s probably super small and is used to flash the OS and not for actual file storage.

Either way, Maschine+ and the OS are booted up and that point everything in your project is loaded from your SD card and into The Maschine+’s ram. I know you can hook up external drives via USB but I think those are specifically for accessing User Content and not for booting up the operating system and software.

• Magenta
    Options

thanks for your response. so having a larger better quality SD card makes a big difference?

• tribepop
    Options

Oh yeah definitely. I think in Ableton there used to be a meter for cpu and one for your hard drive taking too long to respond and I imagine it’s a similar problem for something like Maschine.

You should definitely not being using the standard SD card that the M+ ships with. NI recommends something like the Sandisk Extreme Pro because of its resiliency (SD cards don’t live very long if they’re heavily used) and it has fast read/write speeds.

https://a.co/d/1Dh3B3L

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,355 Expert
    Options

There is an internal storage for the software (Maschine, all its synth engines and effects, and all VST plugins) license and configuration files. The favorites database is also stored there. All the actual library content is stored on the SD card.

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro
    Options

SD speed should only affect load times natively, Maschine loads everything in to RAM.

This changes if you are using a Kontakt library and it supports disk streaming, then a faster card, as fast as possible is really needed.

I avoid Kontakt on plus, so im unsure how many of those are streaming.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited September 2022
    Options

It affects a bit more than load times, things get generally snappier in the browser and more responsive overall, sample edits are much faster especially on long samples, export times, scan time, save time, etc...

Given the cheap price of fast SD's nowadays there is no reason to use the original one.

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro
    Options

Everything you mention is generally covered by the term "Load times" ;)

Loading, saving, browsing etc etc etc, and in the case of editing long samples it is only because it is saving a new file after every destructive edit (a terrible feature for me personally that should be able to be turned off in prefs)

Maybe I should have just said "Only affects file access"

• Magenta
    Options

Hello, what is the fastest SD card on the market that machine plus can handle?

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited September 2022
    Options

I doubt you will get a straight aswner on this.

Afaik only UHS-I is supported, so the theoretical max speed is around 100 mb/s, so the 95 mb/s SD cards like this:

are the perfect candidate altho 170 mb/s SD cards are actually more common and cheap nowadays so... up to you. Personally, I'd only go higher than 95 mb/s if you plan on using the SD on your computer via USB3/C and want fast backups or something otherwise you're paying more for nothing since you're bottle-necked to UHS-I / USB2 on the M+.