Lack of amp development, looper, proper live midi implementation etc, etc....

Ewan Reid
Ewan Reid Member Posts: 4 Member
edited August 2022 in Guitar Rig & FX

Hey NI, just saying...https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/tonexecosystem/

And Archetype Neural DSP are publishing some great new stuff with a decent cadence: https://neuraldsp.com/plugins

Love your products and I own plenty of your Komplete plug-ins and hardware but would be great to see proper strategy on GR.

Comments

• J Tracks
    J Tracks Member Posts: 5 Member

They said something when GR6 came out was they created a technology (ICM) that would allow them to be able develop more amp/cabinets more easily in the future and they more amp/cabinets were going to be developed. Probably similar to what ik has done (but appears to allow users to create their own models from hardware).

I think M1, VST3, Hidpi, Maschine +, got NI pretty busy right now. The main thing they seem to be doing is creating more sample libraries which probably done externally.

That said NI knows the ball is in their court and knows what they have to focus on if they want to continue to stay ahead of the pack.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,274 Guru

"That said NI knows the ball is in their court and knows what they have to focus on if they want to continue to stay ahead of the pack."

I'm not very confident that this is true. A leader at Soundwide needs to articulate a company vision with more detail and timelines.

A recent exodus of talent from iZotope really makes a new vision statement important to anything related to the future of Soundwide.

• Milkman
    Milkman Member Posts: 209 Advisor

I think GR6 is pretty good in its current state, and I understand everyone is hyped about AI-based tools, yeah. Is this another "NI is sooo far behind x, y, and z" post?

• Ewan Reid

More along the lines of there were committments made at launch of GR6 ref ICM amps, these have not been kept and the competition has moved forward. The move away from being viable live tool in terms of midi implementation is also a valid gripe for some users.

I'd be happy to pay more for packs and tools in GR6, my £-spend on Neural DSP reflects that (and on NI Komplete!) and I think a review of the revenue model could open up development opportunities, just sayin...

• Milkman

Wasnt even aware of any commitments made by NI. I produce 3 guitarists including an electric acoustic and it seems good for now. We arent really interested in revenue models, and will leave that up to the capitalists to muck through. We are here for the music.

• Gandi
    Gandi Member Posts: 55 Helper

Hi @Milkman ,

I agree with you 100%. We are here to make music. Personally, I don't need any new amps, etc. The latest ICM amps are very dynamic and therefore flexible.

But to make music I need good usability. After a good 2 years, the level that was already reached in GR 5 has not yet been reached: live mode and, above all, the looper.

It took months to fix bugs in the midi implementation with the last update. If NI engages or is required to engage in such dealings with its products, NI should better discontinue GR.

I have created more than 200 sounds suitable for my songs. If it weren't for a huge amount of work - I would have switched to another manufacturer long ago.

• Milkman

They should discontinue GR, now? lol I cant relate. Good luck with your music.

• Ewan Reid

We are all here for the music I agree which is why for myself I have sought out other options to give additioanl other amp alternatives. That being said I think the Chicago ICM is a really flexible platform to build on.

Ref commitments, when the product was released there was a fair bit of PR on ICM being a rapid development pathway and that we should expect more, e.g. from https://blog.native-instruments.com/the-making-of-icm/

'The future

GUITAR RIG 6 PRO is out now with three brand new amps that have been modeled using ICM, but rather than that being the conclusion of the project, it’s merely the beginning of a new run of high quality emulations.

“Since we don’t have to do all the calculating and tweaking ourselves, we can be measuring other amps and circuits while the neural network does its thing,” Fabian points out. “This means we can have so many more amps in the pipeline than we did before, which is the really exciting thing for users of GUITAR RIG 6 PRO.”

“We don’t just want to do guitar amplifiers either,” Julian reveals. “We’re working on a new amp right now, but after that we’re probably going to do a couple of distortion pedals, and down the line we’ll be looking to do synth filters, compressors, EQs, preamps… and anything else that sounds great.”

Beyond that, ICM isn’t the limit to what the team can do with a machine learning approach. Although it has been incredibly effective thus far in enabling digital emulations of highly sought-after analogue equipment, the fundamental principles behind the technology the team has developed can be applied in any number of other contexts. Fabian sets out a bold vision for the future: “Really this is just the start. A lot of skill and knowledge has been acquired during the development of this technique. In future the potential is there for us to bring that to other NI products.”

Watch this space.'

• Milkman

I guess all the extra pressure placed on them to support apple m1, etc, has slowed this down, too. Such is life I suppose.

• Wouter De Muynck
    Wouter De Muynck Member Posts: 217 Pro

I saw a post recently covering the Traktor Pro feature roadmap where they engage themselves to share an update on the roadmap on a quarterly basis. This is exactly what I would like see on Guitar Rig and other NI products. A one pager showing what's going on, in research, in development, etc... I don't mind features/fixes being postponed, that's how software development works, but the worst strategy is non-communication....

Screenshot from the Traktor roadmap:

Hope to see a similar update on GR, if there is no roadmap, there is no focus and that causes concern which triggers customers to look into other vendors.

• Ewan Reid

I think this is a great example of stakeholder enagement in software and one that the GR user-base would benefit from; great for building accountability in the dev team as well 😉

• Wouter De Muynck

@Nico_NI , @Kaiwan_NI , do you have any feedback on the roadmap remarks?

Grtz,

Wouter

• Vfold
    Vfold Member Posts: 13 Member

There already was a roadmap of sorts:

”Native’s newly developed circuit modeling process uses cutting-edge machine learning technology to reproduce the behavior of hardware devices from the ground up, giving a whole new level of depth and realism to our amp emulations. Even better, it means we’ll be working with the community to discover new hardware and bring it to GUITAR RIG 6 PRO with regular updates.”

But instead of delivering they just removed it from their website earlier this year.

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
    edited September 2022

Hey Wouter, thank you for the feedback. A roadmap like Traktor did is of course something we would also like to see for our other products in the future. However, this isn't as easy as it seems to put in place considering the numerous stakeholders involved and the confidentiality R&D entails. But rest assured, we keep doing our best to improve transparency with our community, this is an ongoing task 🙏

• Wouter De Muynck

Hello @Nico_NI , thanks for your reply! I understand it's a complex track and I can image you're doing the best you can. Guitar Rig is my main NI product, I absolutely love it and I hope to see a lot of great stuff happening (also for bassplayers like myself) in the (near) future based in the feedback we provide.

Grtz,

Wouter