Native Access is not seeing my external HD with all the NI Instruments

kastokes
kastokes Member Posts: 5 Newcomer
edited January 2022 in Native Access

New MacBook Pro, Apple M1 Pro, just setting up Logic, and Native Access. I have 3 TB of Native Instrument libraries on an external HD connected to the laptop. I'd hate to try to download everything again! Download location is okay, Application location is okay, but the Content location which is set as Volumes>Music Library>Music (which is where all the individual Native Instrument folders and their stuff is located) - is not being seen my Native Access. Refresh with the content location set is not working. Native Access wants to reinstall everything!

What am I doing wrong? I already have all the libraries and instruments on the external hard drive. Why can't I link them to Native Access? Any help appreciated!

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

Maybe this will help!!! (Check Bullet point #4)

Installing Native Instruments Products on a New Computer – Native Instruments (native-instruments.com)

Do note, that the locate is only available for "Content Locations" and not for apps/plugins.. (Kontakt, Reaktor, Battery, Komplete Kontrol, Maschine,Effects, etc) so you will need to install those from scratch since they usually reside on your system drive. (unless you installed on External). The locate "Magnifying Glass" will only appear if it is a Library. The apps programs listed above are not huge, so having to download just those is a small price to pay!!!

"Edit" also does not work for "Expansions" unfortunately. Not sure if there might be a workaround for that... Any MAC users out there have any idea?

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,555 admin
    Answer ✓

Can confirm that for expansions you'll need to re-download. Check out Jeremy's answer on this post here.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

Maybe this will help!!! (Check Bullet point #4)

Installing Native Instruments Products on a New Computer – Native Instruments (native-instruments.com)

Do note, that the locate is only available for "Content Locations" and not for apps/plugins.. (Kontakt, Reaktor, Battery, Komplete Kontrol, Maschine,Effects, etc) so you will need to install those from scratch since they usually reside on your system drive. (unless you installed on External). The locate "Magnifying Glass" will only appear if it is a Library. The apps programs listed above are not huge, so having to download just those is a small price to pay!!!

"Edit" also does not work for "Expansions" unfortunately. Not sure if there might be a workaround for that... Any MAC users out there have any idea?

• Simchris
    Simchris Member Posts: 239 Advisor

For my mac systems i used to do symbolic links to trick stuff into using external drive location. Over the years, i gave up that fight. Now, samples go on external drive and all applications, virtual instruments and expansions go on main os drive where they will always work. Highly recommend you just use external drive just for sample libs. Or, you may need to do some hacks like i used to do with symbolic link so that the music folder path redirects yo foldernof same name on external drive. Not sure that helped just some feedback.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,555 admin
    Answer ✓

Can confirm that for expansions you'll need to re-download. Check out Jeremy's answer on this post here.

• kastokes
    kastokes Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

Many thanks to all for the help! I was able to “locate” some items, but others are in the download and install que. Cheers 🍻