Installing expansions from USB disk Komplete Ultimate CE on Maschine+ (?)

Options
2»

Comments

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,141 Guru
    Options

Considering that NI sell the Komplete collections on hardware drives, it would be useful if those drives could be plugged into the M+ and then some kind of "local install mode" enabled.

The WiFi is too slow for large or multiple installs.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,356 Expert
    edited July 2022
    Options

Currently installing Vintage Organs (1.4GB) outside on the balcony where Wifi is not very strong and there are about ten other competing networks in the neighborhood. 6 minutes for 1GB. Download finished after about 9 minutes. Installation took another 3.5 Minutes. Total installation time 13 minutes.

Let’s assume a 1GB average size and a 10 minute overall installation time for each Expansion, then we get 500 minutes for 50 Expansions or roughly 8 - 9 hours. That is a considerable amount of time but it is far from „days or weeks“ as by the OP suggested.

And considering this function is normally used only once per installed item, I prefer NI to spend resources (time and/or money) in different areas than on Wifi speed.

• Kafel
    Kafel Member Posts: 9 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options

I have another problem now. The memory on the SD card has shrunk to 80GB (from 250GB) after installing multiple Expansions. However, I still don't see them in Maschine +. What's more, when I go back to the available download, I can still see 47 expansions for download. It looks like I have the ghosts of these expansions on the SD card which take up 170GB for me, but I can't see them and the system doesn't see them either because I still offer 47 expansions to download.

• ozon
    edited July 2022
    Options

Well. That’s why I asked whether you have sufficient space on the SD card. You probably shouldn’t have started installing all Expansions at the same time.

The SD card needs to be rescanned to make new content show up in the browser. Scanning is very slow if there is a large number of other downloads and installs running at the same time.

Do you see any progress? Can you pause running downloads? If so, I’d try to pause all except for maybe 5. Then wait until those 5 finished. Then resume another 5. Check the disk usage in between. Should actually go down after a couple of installations finished.

• Kafel
    Kafel Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Yes, I came to these conclusions myself. Yesterday I formatted the card, put Maschine close to the router and download several expansions at once, doing rescan from time to time. I also ordered a 1TB SD card because I can already see that all expansions from Komplete CE will not fit into 256GB.

• newmaschineplususer
    newmaschineplususer Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
    Options

"That is a considerable amount of time but it is far from „days or weeks“ as by the OP suggested."

Resurrecting the thread to say that it DOES take days to install all the libraries onto Maschine+, in my case, it may take weeks.

• I have a Google Fiber connection, WiFi 6 and a super fast SD card with 512 GB storage. My Maschine+ is maybe 5 feet away from the router.
    • I have the latest OS update installed.
    • There is over 400 GB free in the SD card.
    • Even small ~500 MB libraries take 5-8 hours and I have to baby sit them and click Retry button every time they fail to install.
    • They fail even when downloading them one by one.
    • At this rate, it IS going to take weeks. I will maybe get to install one library a day.

Love everything else so far about Maschine+, but man this is disgustingly bad.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,141 Guru
    Options

Five to eight HOURS???

There's something wrong with your setup then. I've also got 1Gb full fibre direct to the premises & a WiFi 6 router….but my Maschine+ is on a different floor to the router, and it takes nowhere near that long to install expansions. I'd guess at maybe 10-15 minutes each at the most.

• ozon
    edited April 3
    Options

@newmaschineplususer neither a WiFi 6 nor an super fast SD Card won't do anything for your M+ as its WiFi can do 5GHz max and its SD card reader isn't super fast either.

However, something must be fundamentally wrong with your WiFi setup. Maybe there's a firewall blocking or slowing down all the download traffic from NI (your router or provider side). Are you sure the M+ is connected to your WiFi network and not some other (public) network or tethered through your phone?

• newmaschineplususer
    Options

It was connected to the right WiFi network. It seems like it was an issue on NI's end. Maybe their servers were under heavy load when my first few expansions were downloading. When I begrudgingly started downloading expansions the next day, each one took only about 15 minutes! Installations failed here and there, but it was way WAY less painful because of how "fast" the process was compared to the previous day. I got everything installed within the same day! If anyone else comes across this post like I did, wait a few hours or try the next day.

I'm running into other limitations like not being able to backup my setup, favorites, etc. I guess I can work around that. For user content, I will add a tag called "favorite" to my favorite sounds with Maschine software before moving them onto the SD card. For NI content and settings on Maschine+, I will have to take photos with my phone or something

• ozon
    Options

@newmaschineplususer thanks for reporting back! 10 to 15 minutes is the expected speed.

For backup: Be sure to make regular backups of the whole Maschine folder on the SD card, as this is the location where all your created content exists.

/Native Instruments/Maschine 2/*

The favorites database is a real PITA indeed, as it is located on the internal flash drive which is not accessible.

Enjoy your Plus!

• newmaschineplususer
    Options

Thank you :) Appreciate your help. I am, in fact, backing up the whole SD card. My assumption is that in case something happens, I can copy all of that into a new SD card and avoid having to download all the expansions again. Am I wrong?

Something unrelated, but a quick question. My Maschine+ is B-stock and didn't come with an SD card. When I booted up the device, it complained that project loading failed. I dont have Welcome+ project listed in the browser. Is that the only thing I might be missing? Is there some Maschine+ exclusive factory content it's supposed to come with that I didn't get? In the browser, I only see expansions I have purchased.

• ozon
    Options

I am, in fact, backing up the whole SD card. My assumption is that in case something happens, I can copy all of that into a new SD card and avoid having to download all the expansions again. Am I wrong?

Whether that works depends on the situation as only Samples, Sounds, Groups and synth presets are located on the SD card, while Plugins, registration and properties files are located on the internal flash.

This means that if you just swap the SD card for a new one without changing anything on the M+, a complete copy will work.

But if you have to reset your M+, the files on the internal flash drive are gone, and the contents installed on the SD card will not be recognized and must be installed from scratch.

Is there some Maschine+ exclusive factory content it's supposed to come with that I didn't get?

No. All purchased content is registered to your account and tied to the M+ if it was part of the bundle.

When I got my brand new M+ in 2020, the SD card was completely empty. I suppose the previous owner of your M+ did not do a factory reset and just removed the SD card instead.

• newmaschineplususer
    Options

Thank you for the detailed replies. I have a better understanding of the system now.

Backing up the card seems like a protection against card failure. If something happens to M+, I will have to start from scratch, except for the user content. That's what I learned so far.

I wonder why I don't have Welcome+ project added to my account. If that's the only missing product, I don't care. I do see Maschine factory content in my account. I think I should be good.

Cheers :)