Different audio interfaces for in and out (MacOS)

Rilkecat
Rilkecat Member Posts: 45 Helper
edited November 2023 in Maschine

Hi! Can I set 2 different audio interfaces in Maschine? One for audio outputs (i.e. my main audio interface that goes to main speaker system) and another for the audio inputs (i.e. Maschine, to take advantage of its 2 inputs). Thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Reefius
    Reefius Member Posts: 244 Pro

On Windows or Mac?

On Mac you can use Aggregate Device (I'm not a Mac user so I don't know the details)

On Windows you can use Asio4All which lets you choose multiple audio interfaces.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 997 Guru

I would not recommend using ASIO4ALL - despite the name, it's not an ASIO driver. It just piggy backs onto the standard Windows WDM driver (not high performance).

Many years ago, some pro audio apps would only output sound to an ASIO interface, so if you only had a normal consumer audio interface, you wouldn't be able to get audio from that software.

ASIO4ALL was intended to "fool" the software app into thinking you had an ASIO interface when you didn't.

Those times have long passed (software is no longer "ASIO only"), so ASIO4ALL really isn't necessary any more - especially if you actually do have ASIO compatible hardware.

• Reefius
    Reefius Member Posts: 244 Pro

I only mentioned ASIO4ALL because the OP wants to use multiple audio interfaces. This cannot be done using dedicated ASIO drivers.

Anoter solution to use multiple audio interfaces is something like VoiceMeeter Banana.

• Rilkecat

Hi @Reefius I work in MAC enviroment. Ableton allows that, simply selecting which to use for in, which for out, so I wandered if Maschine had that option and I had not seen it yet

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 997 Guru

Reefius said: "This cannot be done using dedicated ASIO drivers"

Without knowing which two audio interfaces he's using, it's a bit early to say it can't be done.

Anyway, seems he's using Mac so it's irrelevant. :-)

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓

As a short answer, Maschine does not have such an option, so it's a "No".

Creating Aggregate Device is easy and should solve your problem, the tools to do it come with MacOS so it's free, it allows you to basically merge multiple audio interfaces.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000

• Rilkecat
    edited May 2022

Hi @D-One, many thanks for both your short and long answers! I didn't knew about Aggregate... amazing tool. It works perfectly. 🙌

--solved--

• 2A2E
    2A2E Member Posts: 30 Member

Sorry for picking this one up after more than a year. Aggregated Device are really good and I do use them but I also use "Multi Output" devices from the Mac's Audio/Midi Configuration - because I am using different audio interfaces with speakers connected that I want to use at the same time.

Now with Maschine Software you cannot select a Multi Output Device with an aggregated device because there is no configuration for separate IN and OUT.

So please this would be a really nice feature for a (maybe?) upcoming new version?

Thanks

• D-One

Loopback can do what you need, it's expensive tho, 122$ https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/, maybe their Soundsource app can also handle multi-ins/outs, not sure.

There's also Ground Control Room lite (2 ins 2 outs) for 59$ https://gingeraudio.com/groundcontrol-room/

Maybe there's free alternatives out there too.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

You could use already mentioned VoiceMeeter Banana, I guess. I thing it is freeware, more precisely donationware.

• D-One

Thats only for Windows apparently, no? He/she is on MacOS or there would be no mention of Multi-Out/Aggregated Devices.