Maschine Software with Komplete Kontrol S49 or Maschine mk3 / What are your recommendations?

denisbkk
denisbkk Member Posts: 8 Member
edited May 2022 in Maschine

I use a Komplete Kontrol S49 to control Maschine software. I got into using the software as the S49 has so many dedicated buttons and as a result the workflow is really nice. I got so much into it over the months that I started thinking if I'm missing anything from not using a Maschine controller?

I'm not talking about the obvious differences like the Maschine having pads. Sure. I don't mind banging out beats on the keyboard, but yeah I get it might be more fun to use the pads.

But how about workflow, additional buttons available on the controller etc.? For example, looking at the front of the Maschine I am missing for example buttons for Arpeggiator and Scale as on the S49. Scale is probably more a function for a keyboard (but I am wondering if the "Keyboard" function on Maschine also provides features like chord play for example or play in key). And for arpeggiator I am wondering why is there no button on the Maschine? How do you access it on there as I'm sure it has the same as on the S49?

On the S49 I have buttons for Scenes, Pattern, Track. On the Machine I see buttons for for Scenes, Pattern, but not track. But it has additional buttons for groups. And I see an "Arranger" button, wondering what that is for.

Anyways, just wanted to get people's opinion if it's worth for me considering a Maschine controller. Will it provide better integration than the S49 which I already find quite good?

And if yes, could it replace the S49 completely? Or are you able to use the S49 and Maschine together at the same time in Maschine?

Looking for your input, recmmendations and experiences with this setup. Thanks!

Comments

• denisbkk
    denisbkk Member Posts: 8 Member

just notice im in the wrong category. sorry admins...

can you remove this post again as it does not seem possible for me to change the category. Im moving it to Maschine category.

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

Moved to Maschine category.

• djadidai
    djadidai Member Posts: 389 Pro

You have all those functions on the maschine controller too. You have pad/keyboard/chords/step a button away. I have a maschine controller with an m32 keyboard. They work together perfectly.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited May 2022

Scale is probably more a function for a keyboard (but I am wondering if the "Keyboard" function on Maschine also provides features like chord play for example or play in key). And for arpeggiator I am wondering why is there no button on the Maschine? How do you access it on there as I'm sure it has the same as on the S49?

Scale is also very useful on 4x4 controllers since it allows for the pads to have a bit more than 2 octaves range instead of just 1; and of course, easily play in scale. Scale, Chords, Arp, etc.. are all 'Smart Play' features available in both the KK keyboards and Maschine controllers.

The buttons are there, right above the Pads, the details are then selected via the screen.

On the S49 I have buttons for Scenes, Pattern, Track. On the Machine I see buttons for for Scenes, Pattern, but not track. But it has additional buttons for groups. And I see an "Arranger" button, wondering what that is for.

You don't need "Track" in a Maschine controller, that is just a way to select a track and on MAS you have the Groups and Pads right in front of you to do that. (A Track in Maschine is basically a Pad).

Arranger is sort of the equivalent of a DAW's timeline, it's where you arrange your musical structure. (intro> Hook> Verse or whatever). Since KK keyboards are aimed primarily at dealing with one instrument at a time it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have advanced arranging options for it.

Anyways, just wanted to get people's opinion if it's worth for me considering a Maschine controller. Will it provide better integration than the S49 which I already find quite good?

And if yes, could it replace the S49 completely? Or are you able to use the S49 and Maschine together at the same time in Maschine?

If you enjoy Maschine SW with just a KK keyboard then you will love it with an actual Maschine controller, especially one with big screens like the MK3, it's really a night and day difference regarding the amount of stuff you can do. Maschine is not really optimized to work that well with just a keyboard.

It can replace the keyboard for sure if you want that, within the limitations of only having access to 16 Keys at one time. They work well together and at the same time, no issues at all.