midi controllers using the same scale type

mutoit
mutoit Member Posts: 23 Member
edited May 2022 in Maschine

Hi,idk how but sometimes , my midi keyboard casio, use the same scale type that i use/setup in mk2 or jam, like native controllers, he use the same scale when i play so....Any knows how to do this ? Coz now i have a keystation mk3 but didnt happend.

Thank you !

Best Answer

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 337 Guru
    Answer ✓

I think this is more about the way maschine handles scale modes. With maschine, I don't believe it's remapping the notes played. You're removing the 'bad notes' from the pads. You have C major; there just isn't a C# for you to hit because no pad sends C#. This is just an educated guess, but as someone who can't be bothered to learn what C major means; I've been poking at this for years. I don't think it's modifying midi at all.

With something like Cubase, it remaps the notes after they're played. Press C# and cubase turns it into C or D (I forget) after the fact. Press C# and your keyboard sends a C#. Cubase says, "oh, you must have meant D" and sends a D to whatever is making the noise. You have the option to tell it to record the original or the corrected notes. I think they made it even easier in Version 10 or 11, but it's been available as a midi insert for years. It's great.

Komplete Kontrol seems to behave like Cubase. Set a scale there and it's modifying stuff afterwards.

This works. I'm sending midi over RTP from a MODX. I press C# and komplete kontrol sends a D to this kontakt patch. The different key modes behave differently. Learn just ignores keys out of the scale. Mapped seems to snap to the nearest scale (like Cubase). I'm betting easy just puts everything across the white keys. I assume guided is something to do with komplete keyboards and the colorful LEDs. I can't be bothered to look at the manual.

So the answer for OP is to "learn your scales you faker!"; but if you're faking it like I do, you can probably use komplete kontrol to take care of it. I do wish maschine combined the two. Leave the way it handles the pads. This gives us more notes in the scale without transposing and that's really important for the nonsense I do with the pentatonic scale. Also have an option (very important to be able to turn it off) to translate the incoming midi the same way KK does. That'd be nice.

(...or give us midi out of plugins because I could so do this with reaktor)

Interestingly; it doesn't seem like you can load komplete kontrol in maschine. So, if I'm right, the only way to get this function using maschine is to use one of NIs keyboards or some device in between your keyboard and maschine. For example, I use RTP midi to route my keyboard through an android tablet that has an app to do the scale thing before going into M+.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

Could you develop a little more ? It's a little hard to understand what the issue is or what you want to achieve here. What scale type or setting do you mean ? Do you mean the Scale functions in Maschine and Komplete Kontrol ?

• mutoit

we select an instrument, we select a scale, arabic for example, if you have a native instruments keyboard, each note will sound according to that scale.

I don't know how, but by connecting a keyboard from another brand, I have sometimes managed to make it do the same thing, play the Arabic scale.

I am using a casio and now it does not happen, I would like to know, how it happened.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod

The smart play features are all dedicated functions, it's not supposed to work with 3rd party Keyboards from other brands.

• mutoit

Sometimes its work 😨😭

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert

I also expected this not to work, but maybe it’s a matter of MIDI routing? Is your keyboard connected to the Maschine MIDI In port?

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod

It never worked for me, if you can somehow do it again please share how because this is something users have been requesting for years.

Humm.... maybe with some routing trickery or external loopback drivers it's possible to make Maschine think the MIDI is coming from a NI controller and apply the MIDI Smart Play to that Port.. I wouldn't know where to begin tho... Whats your OS @mutoit, Mac or Windows?

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 337 Guru
    Answer ✓

I think this is more about the way maschine handles scale modes. With maschine, I don't believe it's remapping the notes played. You're removing the 'bad notes' from the pads. You have C major; there just isn't a C# for you to hit because no pad sends C#. This is just an educated guess, but as someone who can't be bothered to learn what C major means; I've been poking at this for years. I don't think it's modifying midi at all.

With something like Cubase, it remaps the notes after they're played. Press C# and cubase turns it into C or D (I forget) after the fact. Press C# and your keyboard sends a C#. Cubase says, "oh, you must have meant D" and sends a D to whatever is making the noise. You have the option to tell it to record the original or the corrected notes. I think they made it even easier in Version 10 or 11, but it's been available as a midi insert for years. It's great.

Komplete Kontrol seems to behave like Cubase. Set a scale there and it's modifying stuff afterwards.

This works. I'm sending midi over RTP from a MODX. I press C# and komplete kontrol sends a D to this kontakt patch. The different key modes behave differently. Learn just ignores keys out of the scale. Mapped seems to snap to the nearest scale (like Cubase). I'm betting easy just puts everything across the white keys. I assume guided is something to do with komplete keyboards and the colorful LEDs. I can't be bothered to look at the manual.

So the answer for OP is to "learn your scales you faker!"; but if you're faking it like I do, you can probably use komplete kontrol to take care of it. I do wish maschine combined the two. Leave the way it handles the pads. This gives us more notes in the scale without transposing and that's really important for the nonsense I do with the pentatonic scale. Also have an option (very important to be able to turn it off) to translate the incoming midi the same way KK does. That'd be nice.

(...or give us midi out of plugins because I could so do this with reaktor)

Interestingly; it doesn't seem like you can load komplete kontrol in maschine. So, if I'm right, the only way to get this function using maschine is to use one of NIs keyboards or some device in between your keyboard and maschine. For example, I use RTP midi to route my keyboard through an android tablet that has an app to do the scale thing before going into M+.

• mutoit

Non...but I suspect the M32 contrôler that I had connected ,do some special synchronisation , something magic 😅