Kontakt 7 causing Kernel panic shutoff on Mac Studio! (KT-8785)

Options

Answers

• strigi
    strigi Member Posts: 52 Member
    Options

UPDATE:

Sonoma 14.4.1 did NOT fix the kernel panic issue.

Just got a new one... panic(cpu 5 caller 0xfffffe00185a3ddc): DCPEXT1 PANIC - program_swap: Async Swap request landing on unsupported platform. Force panic

- iomfb_driver(10)

program_swap: Async Swap request landing on unsupported platform. Force panic

What I did: was already in LPX all day (working on a project with 100% audio). I was in a call with a friend on Discord and I wanted to show him something on the piano. I created a new software instrument track, loaded in Kontakt 7 (which opened in 125% zoom) and then loaded in an instance of Noir (Pure mode), and then immediately kernel panic after I clicked it. My hunch is that this is still related to the zoom level in Kontakt 7. After the computer restarted, I loaded it in 100% zoom and it was fine.

• DonnyMacc
    DonnyMacc Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I've had the same error after a crash three times in the last couple of days, twice trying to drop an instance of Kontakt 7 onto a track in Live 12 and the third was opening Kontakt standalone.

• strigi
    Options

Yeah that sounds about right in terms of the symptoms we're all experiencing. I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, I'm 100% confident now that this is a Kontakt-related issue. Bad bad bad. :(

• ivicam
    ivicam Member Posts: 56 Member
    Options

It's not only Kontakt 7 issue, but also Komplete Kontrol, Guitar Rig and who knows what else... Interestingly, no issue with Kontakt 6. So it is some very weird bug in recently introduced graphics code shared by multiple NI products, triggered by a low-level RTKit change from Sonoma 14.4. Halion is also affected in Dorico and at least two other non-music softwares, but those are some low-level utilities.

• strigi
    Options

Wow yeah that's a lot they gotta fix, thx for that info as well. Also, I just reported this to NI officially and used this thread for reference and I gave them a ton of additional information as well as the kernel panics. We'll see what they do...

• DonnyMacc
    DonnyMacc Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

It's consistent now, I've tried three times this afternoon to drop Kontakt into a track in Live 12, and every time my laptop crashes.

• strigi
    Options

Geez, that's bad :( Sorry friend. :( It's still doing it to me too... annoying. If nothing changes over the next couple weeks, I might heavily consider downgrading my OS to Ventura at the very least.

• wbrewer
    wbrewer Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Everything else works great on 14.4.1 but Kontakt 7 is now crashing so hard it restarts my M1 Macbook pro. Ugh, I don't want to be negative but something clearly has happened to the engineering team in the past 10 years.. ugh. My point is however do not downgrade to Ventura, 14.4.1 is really good and downgrading is going to make it harder for you

• strigi
    Options

Yeah I completely agree with you, 14.4.1 also solved the issue of AU validation for me, but the Kontakt 7 issue is still at large. And okay, so you're suggesting I don't downgrade? Duly noted, lol.

• frazed
    frazed Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I'll chime in here. K7 is completely taking my system out in a hard crash on repeat. The mouse freezes for a moment before the OS does a complete reset. No warnings.

I'm running the latest versions of Sonoma/Logic on a Mac mini M2 Pro. The trigger point for me it seems is having Logic's smart controls windows open. Possibly some sort of graphical draw issue?

I'm getting similar statements as seen elsewhere in the thread in the crash logs. Right now, it means that K7 is unusable for me.

• ivicam
    ivicam Member Posts: 56 Member
    Options

I purchased Komplete Ultimate during the last year's Black Friday sales, mostly for Kontakt and its bundled libraries. Since then, there was no any single moment in time without major bugs and now it's been completely unusable for a month or so. And even if it is to some extent Apple's fault, all the other plugins I own (from 7 different companies) work with no issues. I really wonder if we can return this product and ask for a refund? Knowing Germany, their customer protection laws must be quite strict about situations like this one.

To be perfectly clear, I love Kontakt at those rare moments when it works. But I'd rather accept using somewhat worse sample libraries that actually work.

• strigi
    Options

Your symptoms sound about congruent with the rest of us friend. :( Hopefully they get a fix soon. I suggest keeping all your display material (across your entire system) about as default as possible. I find that this helps mitigate it and keep the kernel panics low. It's at least "workable" on my machine, though, I don't have a Mac Mini so I couldn't speak into that unfortunately.

• strigi
    Options

Very good point actually. If you paid for a product and NI is sleeping on said product, it makes sense to feel that way. I'm still very upset about my comp shutting off during the session. It's extremely difficult to be a "professional" or even an "artist" in your field when the tools you use don't work. : ( I guess this is the drawback for us. No one is telling us to use NI products (and there are a lot of alternatives out there), but here we are, LOL.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,873 mod
    edited April 11
    Options

Hey all, we are aware of this issue and are investigating it. In order to reproduce the issue as well as gathering all the necessary information so we can add to our report to Apple in the most efficient way, we would need you to submit a support request here: https://bit.ly/NI_support_kontakt

Please put Kernel Panic with Kontakt 7 or the bug number (KT-8785) as the title and include the following information:

• What processor do you have? M1/M2/M3, what type? Standard, Max, Pro, Ultra, etc…
    • What kind of computer? Laptop, iMac, Mini, Studio, etc…
    • What is your operating system? in this format: 14.4.1
    • In what OS version this started to happen?
    • In what DAWs is this happening?
    • Can you reproduce the issue when your DAW is in Rosetta mode?
    • Can you reproduce the issue with Kontakt in standalone?
    • Can you reproduce the issue with the Guitar Rig 7 or the Komplete Kontrol 3xx as plug-ins?
    • What monitors do you have and how many? Brand, model
    • Are you able to reproduce the issue without an external device? (where possible)
    • Can you briefly describe the steps to reproduce the crash? 
    • Please also include a screenshot of your display setting for every monitor used (On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Displays in the sidebar.)

It should look like this:

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for the time and effort to provide these informations.

Please note this is only for Kernel Panics, where the whole computer crash, not for any Kontakt crash or DAW crash.

As a temporary workaround (although not ideal since not all libraries will work with this version) you can use Kontakt 6 Player (or full if you own it), here is a link for the installer: KONTAKT 6.8.0

I will put the status to this thread as Answered and accepted. It does not mean in any way that we consider the issue is solved, it's just to put this post as visible as possible so we can gather information. Thanks for your understanding.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,873 mod
    edited April 11
    Options

Unfortunately I doubt a refund for the whole bundle would be possible since you bought it in November. I do understand the frustration and we're trying our best to find a solution here. You mention other major bugs, I see the ones you mentioned for Komplete Kontrol UI and third party plug-ins and I couldn't find any support requests from you about other ones in our system. It seems that these Kernel panic issues with Kontakt 7 started to happen in March. this issue seems to affect a lot of M2/M3 Mac users and not only with Kontakt.

It's probably to do with QT which is now used for the graphics of Kontakt, Guitar Rig 7 and now Komplete Kontrol. It is very unlikely that we can fix the issue on our side, it will definitely come from Apple. We will add all the info needed and will continue to report to Apple but I would also recommend you (and everyone affected) to report to Apple.

@strigi We're not sleeping on it in any way. We would love to see this resolved as soon as possible as well.

I'm wondering if using Kontakt 6 could work for you as a workaround, of course it's not ideal as it won't work with 100% of the libraries but it 's not using QT and the latest version is ARM native compatible. I can post some installers if needed.