How to gate an audio signal in Core?

Options
P-box
P-box Member Posts: 60 Member

Hi Reaktor Builders,

I have successfully figured out how to gate an audio signal after it leaves the core cell and before it goes to the output (to the sound card).

But I cannot find an example or anything in the Core Manuals that describes how to gate an audio signal inside a core cell.

I want to be able to use an ADSR function with the gating, not just gate the clock.

I have built the inputs for gate and ADSR controls in the core cell along with the audio stream, but where do I integrate the ADSR module and via what method?

Any references, examples or tips?

I'd sure appreciate it!

--Paul

Tagged:

Comments

• P-box
    P-box Member Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Thanks to a Colugo Block, I got it!

I knew I was close, but it was that last step I just needed a hint.

It would sure be great if there were some identifier on the User Library site to know if Ens or Instruments or Blocks were made with Core. Took a guess with Colugo, knowing his work a bit, and bingo!

• Studiowaves
    Studiowaves Member Posts: 457 Advisor
    edited May 8
    Options

That's how it's done. Another thing you can do is use the square of the envelope generator. This changes the gain from linear to log so the generator levels represent db changes. The way you have it works but it's not always the ideal method. Try this, you might like it better. IN is the EG output and LIN can vary between 0 and 1. At 0 the EG is unchanged, at 1 the EG is logarithmic. I've included the macro for you. Hope it makes sense. Basically it converts a straight lined slope from the generator to db per distance so you hear what you see. You can also take the square root of the envelope generator. This one shows the square, actually I forget which one works better. Try both, it might be the square root is the one that fades properly.

• Studiowaves
    Studiowaves Member Posts: 457 Advisor
    Options

Here's the decibel volume between the square and the straight signal from the env generator. The square in is smoother. Probably easier to listen the figure out the views. As you can see the linear envelope generator is far from sounding linear. It cut's off pretty quick as it fades out. The square or the EG is more linear between 0 and -40db. You can also convert linear to db with the log converter. I think the base is 1.1220184. If you use that it's real close to a linear to db converter but you might not like it. I like the square myself. Have fun