How to get Kontakt loops like George Duke or Prime Bass sliced up across pads in a Maschine group?

mtumi
mtumi Member Posts: 15 Member

I can load individual loops from the George Duke Soul Treasures onto single pads, but I can't figure out how to get them into the sampler to slice them up and distribute them across a set of pads in a group. Can anyone help?

Would this be easier/different for a newer Kontakt instrument like Prime Bass?

Thanks in advance! I have looked around for answers and have come up empty so far.

Best Answers

• Dstep ATL
    Dstep ATL Member Posts: 95 Helper
    Answer ✓

You could try resampling it. Select a new group, select a blank sound, set the source to internal with group with the Loop. Then use sync and select the number of bars you need and hit start. Then hit play.

Then once recorded, mute or remove the original group and make sure sampler is selected on the pad you recorded to, rather than audio. You should now be able to slice from the sampler page.

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

Well I feel kind of dumb...when you drag from Kontakt GDST to the sound slot, it is not a wave file, but rather a Midi file that triggers kontakt, so there is nothing to slice ...Yet. after dragging the Midi to the sound slot, then use the Wave Render icon and drag to a second sound slot and the Loop will be displayed...at that point change to Sampler and slice away, then drag to new group!!!

• Blindeddie
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓

Load GD preset in slot 1. record 4 bar midi pattern (hold down pad 1 (C3) for 4 bars, if you need to, go to events mode to stretch the midi event for just the 4 bars...), select slot 2, go to sampling mode. select loop mode 4 bar length Target = Take press start then press Play/Restart... then do the switch to Sampler thing and slice away... press the apply button, select the Group to save the slices too and press OK.

Edit #1: forgot one important step...make sure to select the Sampling Source as "Internal" and select the sound slot GD is loaded on..

Edit #2: Process would basically be the same for Prime Bass, but those loops are 2 bars and use Keyboard mode to record the Midi so you can pick the root note (C, D,E etc)

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 586 Guru
    Answer ✓

You don't need to worry about volume differences when resampling, as the resampling occurs inside the software. The resulting sample will be exactly identical to what you hear from within the sound itself.

Also, getting the right amount of bars sampled is easy, just set the number of bars in the sampling menu (use the page < > buttons to navigate to the parameter page with the amount of bars to sample)

Answers

• Dstep ATL
    Dstep ATL Member Posts: 95 Helper
    Answer ✓

You could try resampling it. Select a new group, select a blank sound, set the source to internal with group with the Loop. Then use sync and select the number of bars you need and hit start. Then hit play.

Then once recorded, mute or remove the original group and make sure sampler is selected on the pad you recorded to, rather than audio. You should now be able to slice from the sampler page.

• Blindeddie

Make sure when you load the loop that you are loading into the “sampler”. If you drop it on a pad and it loads in the Audio module, all you have to do is click the down arrow and choose Sampler… you should be able to split it at that point!

• mtumi

Hey @Blindeddie that is exactly what i saw in a tutorial and tried to do, but when I choose Sampler it shows up blank. Thank you!

@Dstep ATL thank you for that. I am hoping to avoid rerecording because it seems like it should be easier than that, and that introduces additional potential issues like not having it at the right level or number of bars, as you say. Regardless, thanks for your help 'cause that may very well be what I end up doing!

• Blindeddie
    Answer ✓

Well I feel kind of dumb...when you drag from Kontakt GDST to the sound slot, it is not a wave file, but rather a Midi file that triggers kontakt, so there is nothing to slice ...Yet. after dragging the Midi to the sound slot, then use the Wave Render icon and drag to a second sound slot and the Loop will be displayed...at that point change to Sampler and slice away, then drag to new group!!!

• mtumi

Looks like Im going to continue to be somewhat of a poop. Im wondering how to do it w Maschine hardware, meaning no dragging. :-/. New thoughts?

• Blindeddie
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓

Load GD preset in slot 1. record 4 bar midi pattern (hold down pad 1 (C3) for 4 bars, if you need to, go to events mode to stretch the midi event for just the 4 bars...), select slot 2, go to sampling mode. select loop mode 4 bar length Target = Take press start then press Play/Restart... then do the switch to Sampler thing and slice away... press the apply button, select the Group to save the slices too and press OK.

Edit #1: forgot one important step...make sure to select the Sampling Source as "Internal" and select the sound slot GD is loaded on..

Edit #2: Process would basically be the same for Prime Bass, but those loops are 2 bars and use Keyboard mode to record the Midi so you can pick the root note (C, D,E etc)

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 586 Guru
    Answer ✓

You don't need to worry about volume differences when resampling, as the resampling occurs inside the software. The resulting sample will be exactly identical to what you hear from within the sound itself.

Also, getting the right amount of bars sampled is easy, just set the number of bars in the sampling menu (use the page < > buttons to navigate to the parameter page with the amount of bars to sample)

• mtumi

Thanks all! Super helpful!