Issues on setting up Kontrol mk3 & Yamaha FC3a

Options

Comments

• Frantz
    Frantz Member Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I would also like to know about a firmware update as I’m not looking to purchase yet another pedal as the solution. And completely agree about the communication piece.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,965 mod
    Options

@elleffcruz For the DP-10, there are a few extra steps.

The switch mode works out of the box. For continuous mode to work, it requires some steps:

• calibration works “the other way round”, when the hardware asks for “Move the pedal all the way down”, do nothing, then when the hardware says “Move the pedal all the way up”, press the sustain pedal
    • after that it sends out continuous data on CC11 
    • after changing the MIDI CC to 64, it works and recalls as expected

• Jeremy_NI
    edited February 9
    Options

@ninety7 @Frantz We know it's a pain point for some. The issue is being worked on. I'm not sure what can be addressed by software or firmware update. For the time being, we would recommend a sustain pedal that has a polarity switch. For half damper pedals we would recommend the Roland Dp-10, with the extra configuration steps above.

Here's a lit of pedals we tested and that are fully functional:

Sustain Pedals: M Audio SP2, Fatar VFP1, 25Fatar PS-100, Boss FS-5U, Casio SP-7

Expression Pedals: Moog EP 3, M Audio EXP, Yamaha FC7, Roland EV-5, Boss FV-300L

Hakf Damper: Roland DP-10

Maybe @Matthew_NI can give more insight?

• elleffcruz
    elleffcruz Member Posts: 6 Newcomer
    Options
    @Jeremy_NI After doing what you suggested, the continuous mode still does NOT work.
    Here is the configuration I see on the keyboard:
    - Pedal: Sustain
    - Mode: Continuous
    - Invert: Off
    - Swap: Ring
    - Type: Control Change
    - Channel: 1
    - Number: 64
    - To: 127
    I bought the pedal you recommended. Now help me to make it work please.
  • elleffcruz
    Options
    Ok. I restarted the keyboard and reconfigured as you recommended and it's working right now.
    Good, but now I have another problem. Whenever I press down or release the pedal my speakers make a noise sound (similar to someone blowing into a microphone), which of course is something I can't live with. Any clue what that might be?
  • elleffcruz
    Options
    Nevermind! I figured out, it's all good now :smile:
    The "noise" issue was not really an issue, it's a feature from piano plugins to replicate the noise that comes from the real piano. Each plugin will deal that differently, but you can basically turn that off or soften it up by decreasing it's volume. I'm happy now hehe
    Cheers
  • Jeremy_NI
    Options

@elleffcruz I'm sorry this is so complicated to setup at the moment.

There is a switch on this pedal Continuous vs Switch. Did you engage the continuous option?

Can you check if you are able to set up the pedal as a regular switch for sustain (switch control) ? Then can you check if you can set itup as an expression pedal (CC11 + half damper control)? If you manage to set it up as expression pedal, does changing from CC11 to CC64 make it work?

Please try calibrating one way and in reverse. I would suggest to have a MIDI monitor open to see the effect of your settings: How to Monitor the Input of a MIDI Controller

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@elleffcruz Good to know that everything works as it should now!

• Frantz
    Options

@Jeremy_NI Thanks for keeping us in the loop and I appreciate the team looking into solutions. I know it’s possible through software because Pianoteq 8 detects and changes the inversion in the app. If available directly on the piano, that would be better as it wouldn’t reply on Komplete Kontrol or Kontakt.

• Ragnar
    Ragnar Member Posts: 5 Newcomer
    Options
    FYI all @Jeremy_NI, was able to get the FC3A to work fine by using these settings:

-Yamaha FC3A plugged into Sustain slot
    -Mode: Switch
    -Invert: Off

Then these settings across both Page 2 & 3 (Tip & Ring)
    - Midi: Channel 1
    - Number: 64
    - Mode: Gate
    - Value Off: 0
    -Value On: 127
  • Frantz
    Options

@Ragnar Thanks. However, this method acts as a switch pedal. The FC3A is a continuous/half damper pedal. Can @Jeremy_NI share a setting that will allow it to work as it is intended?

• sallen6
    sallen6 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options
    I was able to get Yamaha FC3A pedal to work with MK3 S88 with these settings after trying about everything on the keyboard:

Page 1:

Pedal: Sustain
    Mode: Switch
    Invert: On

Page 2:

Type (assign tip): CntrlChg
    Channel: 1
    Number: 64
    Mode: Incr
    Range: Min 0, Max 127
    Step: 1
    Wrap: Off

Page 3 (assign ring): CntrlChg
    Channel: 1
    Number: 64
    Mode: Gate
    Value: Off - 0, On - 127
  • Frantz
    Options

Hey. Thanks for sharing. This works the same as what @Jeremy_NI had suggested and was shared by @Ragnar. With these settings it jumps from 0 to 127. I’m testing in Pianoteq 8 which has a visual feedback. When you say you were able to get it to work, did you mean as a simple switch (on/off) pedal?

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@Frantz I'm not aware of anyone making the pedal work as a half damper pedal (except one user that used a soldering iron to rewire the pedal itself). @Ragnar I believe these steps is on how to set up the pedal as a regular switch sustain pedal.

• millerme37
    millerme37 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

The FC3a is a very standard continuous sustain pedal, which worked fine with the MK2. It's unbelievable that this was reported back in December and the issue is still not fixed. This is a dealbreaker for a lot of people that need continuous sustain CC. The temporary "fix" of making the sustain a switch isn't an acceptable long term solution.