Sound output from mic connected via USB to MacBook Air

Willson
Willson Member Posts: 3 Member

I am not getting any sound output from my Shure SM58 connected to a MacBook Air. I am using Live Input, I see the input registered, but there is no output. I tried recording, and there is no sound wave.

I am wondering if my problem is that I am wanting to connect my mic directly into my laptop, and not through a controller. 

Is it possible just to use the Traktor software, with a mic connected via USB to the MacBook Air laptop. I've looked at the videos, and to connect as Live Input, I have to choose the USB device as my Audio Device to connect, which I do, and it seems to register. 

But then if I want to have output, I need to choose another audio device, e.g. my bluetooth speaker. And then I lose the USB mic connection.

Is there any way to have two audio devices, one for mic, and one for speakers? Or is there another fix?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert
    Answer ✓

I am not on Mac, so no personal experience.

You have to create Aggregate Audio Device that combines your USB microphone and audio output.

In Traktor you choose this Aggregate Audio Device for the both microphone and audio output.

As not Mac man, I cannot tell you how to make Aggregate Audio Device, but I guess you will find it somewhere. ;-)

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

Answers

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert
    Answer ✓

I am not on Mac, so no personal experience.

You have to create Aggregate Audio Device that combines your USB microphone and audio output.

In Traktor you choose this Aggregate Audio Device for the both microphone and audio output.

As not Mac man, I cannot tell you how to make Aggregate Audio Device, but I guess you will find it somewhere. ;-)

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓
  • Willson
    Willson Member Posts: 3 Member

Thank you, both!

That's very helpful, got it working!

PS - I have a Shure SM58S with an on off switch, but it doesn't seem to work as a combined audio interface in Traktor, though it does when I'm using it for something else. Any ideas?

PPS - do I need to include MJAudioRecorder as one of the audio devices? I've tried including it and not including it, and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks again!