Send all Maschine Plus audio channels to computer via USB.

skrutiny
skrutiny Member Posts: 23 Member
edited January 2022 in Maschine

Is there a way to connect the M+ to pc directly to DAW in standalone mode and be able to record all of M+ outputs without the need for the M2 software?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

Hey skrutiny, it's actually a cool idea. Unfortunately, what you want to achieve is not possible. It is possible to route 16 Maschine tracks to physical outputs of a third party multi output soundcard but that's it. To have audio over USB, it would require more than just removing a block from a driver. It would actually require a lot of work. Unfortunately there is no such plans at the moment in this direction. We really appreciate the feedback but we definitely can't recommend hacking our devices or others, and if you do so, it's at your own risk.

• slowgaffle
    slowgaffle Member Posts: 3 Member
    Answer ✓

I was confused about this for a while myself because I was able to use a specific sound card, the iConnectAudio4+, to essentially connect the M+ directly to the computer without using analog audio.

I know that just saying it should work is one thing, so I took the time to test out all 16 individual channels.

First of all, to be clear, there is no concept of "Master"/"Slave" on this interface. Both devices you connect to it think that they are the "Master" device. It is up to the user to then route different tracks between them.

Each device gets i think 20 channels on this interface, so I gave the M+ 16 out channels (confusingly, thought of as "In Channels" from the perspective of the interface) and the computer 16 inputs:

I then routed them all together.

And here is how it is in ableton:

I then painstakingly went through the Maschine Output routings and naively assigned each slot a numbered output and put a pad on each one.

Now ready to record:

I know some readers might already see the mistake i made here.

Right so obviously I didn't take stereo into consideration. As you can see, only pads 1-8 played anything, each taking up two channels. Finally, I did 8 stereo pairs:

And that worked well. If you need 16 mono outputs you can pan each to the left or right on maschine. I confirm this works as well.

Answers

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert

If your audio card can route audio streams then there is no stone between them.

• skrutiny

Sorry i should of been clearer. I would like to know if it is possible to send all or some of m+ audio channels to pc via USB.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert

I don't think this is technically possible, because the M+ then would need to be a multi-channel audio interface while running in standalone mode.

But why would you want to do that?

Would it also work to export all the different tracks and import them into the DAW?

• skrutiny

The M+ is a multi channel audio interface whilst running in standalone mode demonstrated by the fact it can connect to a multitude of soundcards via usb. In order for this to not work direct to asio NI must have implemented a roadblock in the drivers. Recording multi channels out into a decent daw in a live manner is something that i wish to achieve. If i have to do it via a tascam model 24 then so be it, i certainly wouldnt spend any more money on a ni soudcard cus thats why the roadblock exists imo. Sneaky.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert

The M+ is a multi channel audio interface whilst running in standalone mode demonstrated by the fact it can connect to a multitude of soundcards via usb.

To my understanding, while in standalone, the M+ is not acting as an audio interface, but as host for external audio interfaces. As soon as the M+ is connected to a computer, it is not working in standalone mode anymore, but as controller and audio interface for the software running on the host computer.

This is reflected by the type of USB ports used for one or the other intented purpose.

If the M+ could be used differently, that would be very suprising (great) news!

• skrutiny

There is a total of 16 outputs dedicated for an external audio device in standalone mode. Taken from the manual:

"Output Routing 1–16 Represents a list of the 16 stereo outputs from MASCHINE+ across several pages: you can assign them to the outputs of your audio interface. Output routing ports are spread across pages 3–8 of the Audio settings."

• macchinista
    macchinista Member Posts: 28 Helper
    edited January 2022

I think those 16 outs are only available via the Maschine software, which in a way, works like a multichannel audio driver. Since you are connecting to a PC anyways, loading your project in an instance of the Maschine VST inside your DAW does not sound that bad. You would then use your M+ in controller mode and assign the Maschine VST outputs to different audio tracks for recording purposes. Is there a specific reason why you are not inclined to use the M2 software in this way?

• skrutiny

If i wanted to use M2 i would of bought a mk3. The m+ manual is very specifically saying that the 16 outs are available to usb audio devices.

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 587 Guru

Just saying, you'd make life a heckuva lot easier on yourself if you just installed Maschine2 desktop and used the VST plugin to access your 16 audio channels in the DAW. There is no difference to running M+ as a controller instead of standalone, assuming your DAW is using a modern computer.

• skrutiny

I've asked a specific question to which you are not answering. I'll decide whats best for me, you do you.

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,106 admin

@Jeremy @ NI Do you have a suggestion here to help @skrutiny getting on the right track?

• GoKeez
    GoKeez Member Posts: 79 Advisor
    edited January 2022

i think the simple answer is no, you cannot do that. I also have a use case for it. The workaround is easy if you have an audio interface but the op knows that. However, as @ozon suggested, connecting M+ to a computer via usb puts it in controller mode canceling standalone features.

It is technically possible, Apple allows it with iPad. I can connect via USB, set up iPad as aggregate audio or midi device and use multi in/outs of compatible apps. M+ should be able to do that also. Perhaps in the future.

BTW, these are assumptions. Id love to be proven wrong about this.

*edit

i actually never tried to connect M+ to my Mac without Maschine open so I don’t know that it puts it in controller mode any other daws. Sorry if that was an incorrect assumption. If it doesn’t, you may be able to use some other loopback routing software but I still highly doubt it’s possible without one or some other workaround.

• skrutiny

"connecting M+ to a computer via usb puts it in controller mode canceling standalone features"; technically not true. In order to connect the M+ must be changed manually on the unit into "controller" mode on the units menu. Whilst connected in standalone mode the pc recognises it.

• skrutiny

"If it doesn’t, you may be able to use some other loopback routing software but I still highly doubt it’s possible without one or some other workaround." Yeh, after looking at the script in the drivers that auto instal, i think it's the drivers built into the software on the m+ that roadblocks as soon as it sees a pc. Gonna try hacking a driver to the pc that m+ supports in order to fool it.

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,968 mod

With a Behringer UMC1820 you can transfer 8 channels via adat digitally, and additional 8 channels via D/A - A/D converters, for example. Of course you need then 2 interfaces.

Uwe