S2 MK3 / Phase meter goes crazy & tracks loaded but not playing

Victor Conejo
Victor Conejo Member Posts: 4 Member

Hi! I'm using my Traktor S2 MK3 Controller on a Huawei Matebook D laptop on Windows 10 Home 64 bits (10.0 compilation 19044, all updated) / Processor Intel Core i7 - 7500 - 2.7GHz (4 CPUs) - 8GB / RAM 80MB - 2133MHz / GPU NVIDIA GeForce 940MX - 6GB - OpenGL 4.5 compatible / HD SanDisk SSD 239GB - 100GB free.

All softwares are updated: Traktor 3 Pro to 3.5.2, controller firmware to 1.3.0 and ASIO drivers to 5.2.0. Also WiFi, BIOS, USB, Bluetooth, etc. drivers are updated through an Intel Drivers Aplication. The USB cable is the one that comes standard with the controller. All the songs that I put are MP3 at 320 kbps.

There's almost nothing more installed on my laptop, just Spotify and VLC Media Player. I use it just for djing, 2-3 times a week.

The problem: last weeks I found that one deck gets "blocked" in a particular way (not always the same, it can be left one or right one). The Phase Meter goes crazy, moving non-stop from left to right, and tracks can be loaded but not played. The only solution is restart the laptop, but usually the problem persists. It never happened two days in a row, but when it happens seems that the only definitive solution is to end the session, and I would rather not.

Best Answers

• Karlos Santos
    Karlos Santos Member Posts: 136 Advisor
    Answer ✓

99.9% of the time this is an issue with the sound card disconnecting. It's an old issue that always presents in the same way.

Please check to see if you are experiencing USB disconnects by replacing the USB cable. Hopefully it's the cable not the port that is the issue.

Let us know how you get on.

Karlos.

• olafmol
    olafmol Member Posts: 134 Pro
    Answer ✓

Could you disable Wifi, bluetooth, network-card, virus-scanner etc. and see if the problem is still there? Also make sure to change the ASIO buffer-size immediately after you have started Traktor: increase or decrease it, then move it back to your original desired value.

Answers

• Karlos Santos
    Answer ✓

99.9% of the time this is an issue with the sound card disconnecting. It's an old issue that always presents in the same way.

Please check to see if you are experiencing USB disconnects by replacing the USB cable. Hopefully it's the cable not the port that is the issue.

Let us know how you get on.

Karlos.

• Victor Conejo
    Victor Conejo Member Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2022

Thank you very much for your reply. As you say, I'll try to change the cable. That reminds me, by the way, of another issue I've come across: is it possible that the port on the laptop that you connect the USB cable to always has to be the same? I have 3 ports, and the times I've connected the cable to something other than the usual one, the program has hung up on me (and it has practically never hung up on me under any other circumstances). Is it so or is it a coincidence?

Other information in case it is useful: I work with Sample Rate 44100 Hz / Buffer Size 192 / USB Buffer 2 ms. I have tested the system with LatencyMon and the results are optimal. My laptop triples or more the safety margin.

• Karlos Santos

Unfortunately, I'm a Mac user and my knowledge PC is not great. I always use the same port on my laptops, it's just a habit but I did once read that some ports are shared and some aren't so I guess you could find more information about your particular machine and how the ports are configured?

• olafmol
    olafmol Member Posts: 134 Pro
    Answer ✓

Could you disable Wifi, bluetooth, network-card, virus-scanner etc. and see if the problem is still there? Also make sure to change the ASIO buffer-size immediately after you have started Traktor: increase or decrease it, then move it back to your original desired value.